Author Topic: NOW AT 9 Original CE songs/CE theme  (Read 13389 times)

teh Schala

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
NOW AT 9 Original CE songs/CE theme
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2005, 02:18:03 pm »
Are you coming closer to having that main theme done, Shou? :o

Claado Shou

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2005, 06:46:33 pm »
Yeah...I'm trying to make it be theme-quality, but have the power behind it of darkness, of flame, if you will.  ZeaLitY told me it should represent the idea of "crimson" and "echoes", and I'm balancing the idea of maintaining strict CT-quality style with updating it.  Urgh...

Oh, and sorry, Jake-A-Roonie, but after trying to work in that idea you gave me, it didn't work out so well.  I'll incorporate the progression in a later "overworld" song though, one I haven't told you guys about yet.  In all, I'm planning 10 songs at the moment, so...the main theme and 4 more on the way. :)

Be patient a bit longer.  It should be up sometime tonight.

~.C.S.~

Claado Shou

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2005, 07:25:36 pm »
Alright...here we are, finally...

The "Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes" main theme: Crimson Echoes.

ENJOYPLZKTHXBYE

~.C.S.~

teh Schala

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2005, 07:45:49 pm »
Crimson Echoes just plain ROCKS, dude... :D

Quote from: Claado Shou
I'll incorporate the progression in a later "overworld" song though,

...which was my original idea, no?  LOL...  Did I not say "this would rock as an overworld theme!" :o

Claado Shou

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2005, 07:50:19 pm »
Yes, you did.  But then again, you specifically implied use in the main theme.  Whatever.  It'll all work out in the end.

~.C.S.~

teh Schala

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2005, 07:57:02 pm »
Yeah, I know it will :)

And man, I was crackin' up at what you said a few minutes ago there...  "ZeaLitY wanted the song Crimson Echoes to convey the concepts of `Crimson' and `Echoes.'"  Gee, ya THINK? :lol:

Claado Shou

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2005, 08:00:08 pm »
Well, what I meant by that was there are no songs in CT that maintain a general sense of flame and shadow.  A few try, but they're all very ambient in nature, or battle-quality, and it was a process in itself balancing general Chrono Trigger goodness with the new ideas inherent in the project.

Otherwise, yes, I understand it was a stupid way to say what I meant.  But the song makes up for it, I think.  

At least, I hope so. :P

~.C.S.~

Claado Shou

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2005, 09:09:47 pm »
Alright...two more songs for you.  They're small additions, but nonetheless they need to be added.  

Here they are:

Chronopolis, the CE theme for the haven-like Chronopolis (designed to play for short periods only, in-between travel to other places I suppose)

Moment of Truth, the "sad theme" of Crimson Echoes.  It was meant to play after Sorin realizes what he has become, or something to that effect.

I know they're sonically dwarfed by the other pieces, but they're not designed to be standalones.  They're really just mood pieces, anyway.  So yeah.  Enjoy.

~.C.S.~

Claado Shou

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2005, 06:08:48 am »
Ninth song added (last night, actually...).  Check first post.

~.C.S.~

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2005, 04:48:44 pm »
This 1 A.D. song is easily your best so far. You're starting to improve.

Claado Shou

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2005, 08:06:56 pm »
Quote from: Lord J esq

Really?  You think so?  I seem to think it's lacking something, though I can't determine what it is.  I think it lacks...well, I can't place my finger on it.  

Personally I like Sheltering Light, but whatever.

~.C.S.~

teh Schala

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2005, 08:28:59 pm »
My thought is that we're seeing just a little too much of those strings like in the high-pitched part at the start of this song...  Wind instruments might work a little better in this song, seeing that this is an overworld theme, and wind instruments do sort of subconsciously make you think "wind" and "open areas" and stuff.  Just my opinion though. :?

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2005, 08:29:34 pm »
Quote from: Claado Shou
Quote from: Lord J esq

Really?  You think so?  I seem to think it's lacking something, though I can't determine what it is.  I think it lacks...well, I can't place my finger on it.  

Personally I like Sheltering Light, but whatever.

~.C.S.~

All your work so far has the mark of a novice, but this is the first piece that managed to get away from the choppy strings and pursue a coherent melody. If you ask me what the song is "missing," I'd say:

1. A countermelody or orchestral support to flesh out the main theme. The song sounds lonely with just a handful of identifiable instruments like the upper and lower strings and the drum trying to sound like much more than they are. You started out with another plucked string instrument in the beginning, and something similar appears later on as nonmelodic support; maybe bring it back throughout the song more often and give it a meatier role in the melody. This style of song would also love to see woods and reeds. (Or you could change the character entirely by adding brass.)

2. A third section. The song has two main parts to it, a dominant theme and an emphatic follow-up, but they don't sit like a full meal by themselves. The third section would introduce new melodic ideas and add complexity to the overall theme of the piece. You would splice it in between the existing song at 1'26".

3. A couple of key shifts. At times the music sounds like it wants to go somewhere, like at 0'55"--actually you could do it in any number of places--and when this doesn't happen it diminishes the tonal depth of the song.

Your previous songs just couldn't get past the choppy strings, the lack of melody, and the fact that the instruments wouldn't come together into a unified whole. But now this latest work of yours is beginning to sound like real music, which I find encouraging! I even downloaded it with the intention of considering it for addition to my permanent library.

In any case, none of this matters. It's all academic critique. I'd rather see you continue putting your efforts into new music, leaving the songs you have already accomplished well enough alone. They're not suitable for building your skills further, and they do make an interesting measure of your progress as a composer.

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: NOW AT 9 Original CE songs/CE theme
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2009, 06:26:21 am »
(Wow, four years later.)

Okay, what does anyone think about these tracks from Claado Shou? We're not in the music insertion phase yet, but we can decide what to do with these for now, because if we want to use some of them we'll have to ask Claado for MIDI files instead of these MP3s.

Lord J esq makes valid points on the style of these tracks, but I think some are good and okay to use. Here are the nine tracks:

The tracks that I think clash with Mitsuda's style too much or that clearly fall under J esq's criticism are Cerulean Shadows, Crimson Echoes (:(), and Vortices and Flame. The others are good IMO.

Opinions/Thoughts?

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: NOW AT 9 Original CE songs/CE theme
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2009, 12:23:57 pm »
Does the CE team have a way of converting from .MP3 to MIDI? Or would you essentially be recomposing the songs in MIDI if you were to use these?