Author Topic: 2013 and the Sun  (Read 1846 times)

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
2013 and the Sun
« on: January 02, 2013, 01:38:02 am »
I don't know how much the topic is known here, but I decided to bring it up either way.

Now that we are in 2013, our sun is gonna reach it's cyclical peak once again when it comes to levels of activity. This happens like around 11 years on average, but for a long time I've seen many a place noting how in this year, the activity may rise to the point that the solar storms released may become too strong.

While said levels would still be harmless to us, what's dangerous is their effect on our technology. Back in 1859 the storm was so strong it dealt quite some damage to the telegraph lines of North America and Europe. If such a storm where to hit us now, it's effects would undoubtedly be worse considering how much more things rely on electricity in this day and age.

So what do you guys think? That it could happen? That it will? What consequences would bring to civilization as a whole in the worst-case scenario? Got something else to add about? Perhaps even correcting something I may have gotten wrong up there or just to comment on the topic?

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 and the Sun
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 07:57:27 pm »
I really wanna know more about this 1859 episode. Sheesh -- just a few years off from the U.S. Civil War! If this natural phenomenon happened in 1863, could it have had a humongous impact on world history? Did it have a humongous impact on world history in 1859 for that matter? That's fascinating.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 08:53:11 pm »
11 years is a fairly short period. So there are a big chance a big event happens around it, consider the "world" has never been too peaceful. :(

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 09:26:51 pm »
I really wanna know more about this 1859 episode. Sheesh -- just a few years off from the U.S. Civil War! If this natural phenomenon happened in 1863, could it have had a humongous impact on world history? Did it have a humongous impact on world history in 1859 for that matter? That's fascinating.

Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859

Overall, no, nothing particularly happened. At least, not one that would've gotten a huge difference had the telegraph lines not been busted. However, as the article shows, the storm itself brought some notorious things. Like the case of one line able to still function but without it's battery because of the storm. And that the aurora was able to be seen as far south as Cuba.

11 years is a fairly short period. So there are a big chance a big event happens around it, consider the "world" has never been too peaceful. :(

Well, ever since the 1859 one the cycle has never picked up as strong until recently. Which is why it's only until this cycle that it could happen again, if not actually will.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 09:29:48 pm by Acacia Sgt »

Schala Zeal

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • 7th Elemental Innate, and vtuber
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 02:10:25 am »
That reminds me -- something did happen on December 21, 2012. I believe our Sun aligned with the center of the Milky Way for the first time in over 26,000 years on that date.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 06:10:49 am »
That reminds me -- something did happen on December 21, 2012. I believe our Sun aligned with the center of the Milky Way for the first time in over 26,000 years on that date.
....That hoax was forwarded to me via a chain SMS last time, and I still can't believe people take it for real. If you weren't aware, then I do apologize if my statement sounded offensive, but I hope I can set some facts clear.

Well, ever since the 1859 one the cycle has never picked up as strong until recently. Which is why it's only until this cycle that it could happen again, if not actually will.
I actually remember seeing reports of 2012-13 solar storms from NASA at 2011 itself, and was all "Holy Sheeit, the Doctor Who universe is real?!" That was perhaps my first ever introduction to this stuff called "Solar Storms" that are emenated under certain conditions, beyond the phenomenon of novas and stellar formations. I wasn't entirely sure how that would affect us until I researched.

And recently I stumbled upon this: http://news.webindia123.com/news/Articles/Science/20121219/2122356.html

Fascinating stuff!

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 05:44:44 pm »
So I found this site:

http://www.solar-storm-warning.com/NASA_2010_Solar_Storm_Real_Time_Alerts_and_Warnings.html

Don't know how much of it to take at face value, but what interests me the most is that chart found on the way bottom. It could be a good way to monitor things.

EDIT: Would like to point out that in the graph at the bottom of the page has yellow bars appearing now. Still not yet the dangerous all 9's, but something to keep in mind.

Say, I can request for this thread to be pinned? I think it's important for this to remain easily accesible.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 01:58:46 am by Acacia Sgt »