Author Topic: Building a Heaven in Hell's Despair  (Read 814 times)

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Building a Heaven in Hell's Despair
« on: December 29, 2012, 11:22:37 am »
Posted this in my LJ, but thought I'd post here too, and also on my Wordpress poetry blog (probably as a poetry).

As utunnels referenced earlier, plenty of misdeeds result from humanity's rigid beliefs in superstition. Superstition even forces many to hinder each other's cognitive development. However, I'm one of the few who also believes that superstition, at least a healthy amount of it, can also be a boon.

While everyone's out partying for the coming of the new year, knowing well the "end of the world" of 2012 was merely a hoax, I must mention -- without intending to endorse any more ill-will from the superstition -- that the hoax indeed gives us an opportunity to think about the brighter side of the last remaining days we have, if the rumours were true.

Think about it: You may have made plenty of plans of your life and world for the coming year. But what if that year never did come? What if the world were to end by the end of the last night? What if this was your last day to live? In many cases, many people would frantically go on to satisfy themselves as much as possible, but I ask you: will that self-satisfaction matter by the time end arrives? Consumption has a purpose beyond uplifting the sensory data to your mind, and that is fulfilling your body's needs, and when your body is already stable there simply is no need to consume more than necessary, whether the end is nigh or not.

But what is necessary is to reflect on the self-promises you may have made either recently or long time ago. An example would be the claim of altruism only when you have the "time and resources" to do so. Did you really mean that? Or was it because, deep in your heart, you never intended to embrace another warmly? Your claims that you cannot help another when your own woes keep you busy, but what makes your woes any different from those who suffer all the same, whether less or more? On the other hand, this last day would give you the opportunity to do something you never thought you ever could:

It is to do something good, the one last chance you have, before everything is gone.

This 30th of December, the universe is with you, so make that day count. Walk out that door and soak in the world as if you're seeing it for the first and last time. Look at every tree and building, listen to every cat, dog and pigeon, smell the freshly baked goods from the nearby bakery, feel the winds against your hair as you run down the sidewalk, brace your body to the lengths you've never allowed it to go through. Appreciate the existence of everything, and how and why they began existing in the first place.

And more importantly, smile! Smile, and hug someone random, tell them how much they matter. Make them a coffee! Bring them flowers! Run alongside the butterflies, and play soccer with the homeless. Buy a treat for the hungry, and teach alphabets to the poor kids who can't afford education. Explain the purpose of empathy and compassion to nearly everyone. Write a poetry! Sculpt a universe. Paint a painting brush! Eradicate hatred and prejudices resulting from differences. Dance with races and sexes not your own. Think about the books you'd like to read, but read something entirely opposite (that is, if you love to read fantasy novels, go read ancient historic texts or thesis of alchemy instead). Watch something outrageously horrible and claim you can make something better; then MAKE SOMETHING BETTER AND SHOW IT TO THE WORLD!

You can also open up a booth with as a "free service" to hear everyone's problems for the new year, whether they appreciate an advice or not. Build a gadget (probably a super-sentient robot?). Learn the art of Graffiti (without actually damaging properties you don't own). Attempting to take on Michael Jordon in Basketball (okay, maybe not). Play a violin horribly, and learn from it as random people kick you out again! Settle neighbourhood feuds by offering your body for them to punch endlessly. Form your own Detective agency, and employ the Baker Street Irregulars!

But more importantly, make this day the BEST you can, not only for yourself but also for all those around you. You'll know it's been great when not one soul you pass would not have a smile. If they're still blank or frowning, go make their day!

Once you're done by midnight, the moment you glance out the window by then you'll notice that the world DID end after all. At least the dreary and mundane world you knew before. Because, the new world that begins at 2013 would be the kind of world you helped create.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 11:30:43 am by tushantin »