Author Topic: Study on Brazilian Portuguese fan translations of Chrono Trigger  (Read 6528 times)

wizzy0807

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
I recently discovered an academic article about Brazilian fan translations of Chrono Trigger, with reference to both Ted Woolsey's and Tom Slattery's "official" translations, as well as to Kwhatzit's translation (hosted here at the Compendium).

Here is some pertinent information for any interested readers.

Author: RAFAEL MÜLLER GALHARDI
Author profile: RAFAEL MÜLLER GALHARDI is an English into Brazilian Portuguese translator and holds a master in Translation and Accessibility. He has recently defended his masters dissertation about Chrono Triggers fan translations in Brazil and has been working with game translation and localization for the past two years. He first started as an undergraduate student interested in analyzing fan translations, then took part and presented his projects at two editions of Fum for all: International Conference on Video Game and Virtual Worlds Translation and Accessibility in Spain and also at other scientific events in Brazil. Meanwhile, he also has become involved in many translation projects ranging from Facebook games to Multiplatform ones.

Article: "Video Game and Fan Translation: A Case Study of Chrono Trigger"
Reprinted in: FUN FOR ALL: Translation and Accessibility Practices in Video Games (ISBN 9783034314503)
Abstract:
Nowadays, video games are not restricted to a specific context or demographic group but instead involve an entire global entertainment market, in a similar manner to the film industry. Certain video game genres -largely RPGs (Role Playing Games) and strategy games-also rely strongly on textual components. Together, these two factors have generated significant demand for linguistic transference and differing degrees of adaptation to many specific markets — a process also known as localization. However, for many locales, the localization industry has not yet reached its full potential, leaving the door open for amateur attempts at translating games. This article provides a descriptive analysisof the Brazilian fan translations of Square Enix's Chrono Trigger, which were based on the first official English translation (1995) carried out for Nintendo by Ted Woolsey, as well a comparison of these with another translation developed by Anglophone fans. The attempts at translation by these fans were possibly the motivation for a second official translation for the porting of the game to Nintendo DS (2008), which in turn generated yet another Brazilian fan translation, totaling a final group of six target texts. In order to conduct this research, Mangiron and O'Hagan's transcreation model (2006) was used in order to analyze topics such as: dialogue additions and omissions; the recreation of play on words; the renaming of characters and terminology; censored items; the deliberate use of regional expressions; and even the modification of a character's speech style, in addition to any other challenges that Chrono Trigger presented to the fan translators.
Conclusion extract:
Galhardi concludes that "Through the analysis of fan translations of Chrono Trigger, we have shown how fans can either follow very similar procedures to those of official localizers [i.e. Woolsey or Slattery] or utilize a 'foreignizing' [i.e. Kwhatzit] approach. In the case of the former, they adapt the game to reflect their own cultural reality [...] in the case of the latter, they keep the game as faithful to the source version as possible, such as was the intention of the Chronocompendium [sic] translation."

YamatoPrince

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Re: Study on Brazilian Portuguese fan translations of Chrono Trigger
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 07:03:17 pm »
As a Brazilian fan of Chrono Trigger who is also very interested in translation, I think this article and I were made for each other! But I can't seem to find an online version anywhere! Is it even available?

wizzy0807

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 04:26:55 pm »
Unfortunately, the article ("Video Game and Fan Translation: A Case Study of Chrono Trigger") is not available online. I found it in the book: "FUN FOR ALL: Translation and Accessibility Practices in Video Games" (ISBN 9783034314503).

I think the author would be a good person to ask about it. Send me a private message and we can talk about his details. (I managed to track him down but it was a very roundabout process!)

Redslash

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • Twitch.tv/Redslash
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 03:49:39 am »
Speaking of the Retranslation hosted here, does anyone know if these resources will be back up soon, or whether they're archived at another location? http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Scripts.html
I would really like a look at the side-by-side spreadsheet, for the purpose of comparing Japanese and English text speeds (yes, for speedrunning). I would go ahead and recreate it myself, but knowing that the work's already been done makes it very difficult, ha ha. Hoping to find a copy somewhere. : )
Thanks,
STL

edit: Nevermind, got it http://web.archive.org/web/20130821104042/http://chronofan.com/Term/Scripts.html
Looks to be about 22000 frames for any%, or 6 minutes. Good stuff.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 07:31:50 pm by Redslash »

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 11:04:12 pm »
Speaking of the Retranslation hosted here, does anyone know if these resources will be back up soon, or whether they're archived at another location? http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Scripts.html
I would really like a look at the side-by-side spreadsheet, for the purpose of comparing Japanese and English text speeds (yes, for speedrunning). I would go ahead and recreate it myself, but knowing that the work's already been done makes it very difficult, ha ha. Hoping to find a copy somewhere. : )
Thanks,
STL

edit: Nevermind, got it http://web.archive.org/web/20130821104042/http://chronofan.com/Term/Scripts.html
Looks to be about 22000 frames for any%, or 6 minutes. Good stuff.

Try it now, mate.

Rafa Skylink

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 11:35:13 am »
Oh, it shouldn't be so hard to find me xD

YamatoPrince

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 07:28:14 am »
Well, that makes it easier =)

Sent you a PM

wizzy0807

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 05:15:01 pm »
Oh, excellent! Glad you could join, Rafa.

Hope you didn't mind the posting: I was happy enough to stumble on your article in my post-publication research, but it was only with a lot of legwork that I was able to obtain a copy. I urged my library to purchase the book and we finally have a copy (I hope some revenue from the sale gets to you!).