Author Topic: Temporal Flux Wormhole example  (Read 3514 times)

Chickenlump

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • O_o
    • View Profile
Temporal Flux Wormhole example
« on: July 17, 2005, 04:25:12 pm »
A mostly working wormhole for those interested. I'm going through and trying to understand how they work, so I cleared out Gato's event and placed only a wormhole in the area. It takes you to Enhasa. Other events have the individual characters doing special animations while the portal closes, but I sort of changed this one to just make the sprites dissapear before it closes. Right now, it just hides Crono's sprite, but I'm sure it can be made to do the same for the other characters, and it shouldn't be to hard to just drop in some animations for them before the wormhole closes. The wormhole takes up about 3 objects in the event, 09 0A 0B. These can be copied and pasted to other events with minimal changes to them needed (x,y coords, etc).

Perhaps others could post here about making it better, and a tutorial for a customizable wormhole could be added to the site.

Apply to an unheadered ROM, and enter (you guessed it) Gato's section of the fair.

http://www.geocities.com/chickenlump/wormy.zip

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005, 04:27:15 pm »
Thanks, I'll add this to the Modification section. I'm going to tackle a Gate eventually, but after I finish the simple NPC tutorial, I'm going to try and make a battle in the Truce Inn. Then comes a battle tutorial :)

Chickenlump

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005, 04:34:41 pm »
Sweet, your NPC tutorial taught me a thing or two already, and is VERY well written. :)

With gates and wormholes, I've already been able to use GOTO to Crono's arbitrary sections to have him do specialized animations before wormhole close, but that's just one of many ways to make stuff like this happen. I'm going to see if I can change the color of the gate to red or somethign else cool.

Can't wait to see your battle tutorial.

Chickenlump

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005, 05:03:27 pm »
*evil laugh*

OK, I got Crono to do an animation before the wormhole closed on him, and it was easier than I thought it would be.
In Crono's Arbitrary1 I placed an animation and a Return, and called it from the wormhole code when it seemed appropriate, using CallObjFunc (not GOTO).
Prepare for a large picture example.

Crono's Code for the event:

Worm Code, Object 1:

Worm Code, Object 2:

Worm Code, Object 3:

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2005, 05:10:49 pm »
That's pretty versatile. Since you've put it all together here, I might actually be inclined to do this first. I'm going to have to learn it step by step of course, and there's another thread somewhere in here where JLukas helped Divine Dragoon Kain work out his own Gate. I'll try to understand that too as I go along.

Chickenlump

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2005, 05:15:25 pm »
I'll have to read through all the threads and find that topic, I must have missed that one. I'm sure some of this can be trimmed and optimized.

Eventually, we will be able to do everything CT did and a bit more, with tutorials and examples to help us out (especially with my short-term-memory-loss :D ).

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2005, 05:30:29 pm »
http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=607

There it is. Yeah, I was thinking about that. Once everything CT did is turned into basic knowledge, we'll be ready to expand. Just like that scrolling layer trick. I'm surprised that wasn't used more often; it makes epic scenes.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2005, 06:28:51 pm »
If you're still around, what's all that Memory Copy stuff do? Just wondering, because it looks like a random assortment of hex.

Chickenlump

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2005, 06:52:18 pm »
The first memory copy (from reading JLukas' replies) seems to affect the palette animation for the gate. The second memcopy seems to affect the palette for the gate's animation, these would be what you would edit for the red gate in Lucca's forest scene.

DivineDragoonKain

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2005, 02:54:55 pm »
Very interesting.  :D  It'll be a little easier to test Gates now. Thanks!