Author Topic: Schala and Time's Eclipse. (DS Ending Spoilers)  (Read 2839 times)

skylark

• Poet of El Nido
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
Schala and Time's Eclipse. (DS Ending Spoilers)
« on: October 27, 2012, 01:23:13 pm »
Okay, we all know what happens.

Schala says some things and Magus ends up erasing his persona.

My question to you all is:

Was Schala's admonishment to Magus out of her own fatalism, or was it out of malice?

Was it more of a "Please forget I ever existed" kinda thing?

Or was it more like a "I don't want to be saved by someone like you" deal?

Or could it be a combination of both?

I kinda get the feeling that, like the actual reason Magus wiped out his identity, something got a bit lost in the translation for some reason. Or maybe it's just me.

The reason I ask this is because of my Sea of Dreams fic. If it is the former, then I would have to re-evaluate the eventual dynamic between Schala and Magil, which would be mostly hostile on Schala's end.

Schala Zeal

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • 7th Elemental Innate, and vtuber
    • View Profile
Re: Schala and Time's Eclipse. (DS Ending Spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 03:41:40 pm »
Pretty sure it's the prior. Yeah, he's made questionable decisions but he's still close family.

Blackbird

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 10:32:26 am »
for me, its more like Schala wants Magus to move forward and forget about her, 
I think she also wants to protect him (because maybe she knows that his power is useless again Lavos and he will ends up killed by Lavos) :)

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 11:35:54 am »
Well, don't forget, if he kills Lavos, he might kill Schala as well.
But yeah, the prior, for whatever reason.

skylark

• Poet of El Nido
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 02:31:59 pm »
I'd like to get a few more people's thoughts on this, but it looks like the majority rule is the former. Makes sense.

I don't know, it just seemed to me that in that conversation, she held quite a bit of disdain towards people who think of nothing but their own power, regardless of the suffering it causes others. Though that might have just been how it was translated.

Could someone pull up the Japanese scripts for that scene? I want to see the differences between what we got and the direct translation.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 08:11:42 pm »
It's been a few years since I've seen the ending, but I was under the impression she wanted Magus to finally be free of the pain she had caused him. After all, he had devoted his entire life to find and free her, and ultimately it was all for naught; it was a task too large for him to complete.

Perhaps, from her glimpse of the timeline(s) in the DBT, she was fully aware that only Serge could save her with the Chrono Cross element. As such, she knew the futility of Magus' mission, so she urged him to seek freedom. Knowing that he was too stubborn (and zealous) to simply abandon his search, his only option would be for him to forget about her entirely.

That's the way I look at it.

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 10:18:48 pm »
Could someone pull up the Japanese scripts for that scene? I want to see the differences between what we got and the direct translation.
Arc Impulse translated it a few years ago.
http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Supporting_Material_Translation.html#Dream.27s_Epilogue

skylark

• Poet of El Nido
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 02:33:22 am »
Arc Impulse translated it a few years ago.
http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Supporting_Material_Translation.html#Dream.27s_Epilogue

Oh, nice.

Whelp, guess this proves it. My initial interpretation was wrong. Although...

In my story, I suppose she could still be somewhat angry at him, what with him more or less disregarding her last wishes by getting involved with the plot...

Xenterex

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 03:00:55 am »
I find the moment more of a fourth-wall projection.  The characters are meeting an instance of a being 'outside of time'.  This instance of Magus, and how he doesn't know the party (or himself) is the Magus that was supposed to show up in Cross — since he didn't exist, he is unfamiliar with the events in the time line that otherwise kept him from existing and coming to this point in the DBT (or rather why he is able to come to it)

So I take the scene to be toward the audience XD

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 11:38:49 pm »
Easy! Add a little Kid to her personality and she can be plenty angry at Magus.

Honestly I hate hate hate this ending for how it shoehorns in an explanation for a gimmick, but another thing to consider...
Quote from: Magus
Beyond this Gate, a new enemy is trying to come into being. In the deepest depths of the Darkness of Time beyond this point. It's trying to devour people's memories, their dreams, their thoughts...

Is it possible then that Schalavos influenced Magus to give in to despair and throw away/FEED IT his memories and goals, even more than just by pushing him away?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 11:40:54 pm by maggiekarp »

maggiekarp

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 12:52:09 am »
Sorry for the thread res/double post, but what's the significance of Magus using "ore" instead of "watashi" in this ending, and what was the other time this happened in CT?

I don't know Japanese, but ctrl+f shows it in the "if history is to change" line, is that right?

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 02:17:09 am »
See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_pronouns

I guess that is because Magus was once a king(sort of) so his wording was also formal, or just for no specific reason since it is formal and common.

But in CC, this is quite significant among characters because of that auto speech system.

Kid - ore(オレ)
Guile - ore(俺)
------------------------------------------------------------
Except Serge who doesn't speak in CC,
these two fellows are identical to their
RD counterparts.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Norris - watashi(私)
Nikki - boku(ボク)
Viper - washi(わし)
Riddel - watashi(私)
Karsh - ore(俺)
Zoah - ore(オレ)

« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 02:19:55 am by utunnels »

maggiekarp

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 02:18:39 pm »
I'm not gonna make you go and find out how all 40-some characters refer to themselves, but that is actually pretty interesting. Gives some insight into story differences in translations... I always wonder if the Japanese audience had the same complaints as Western ones.