Author Topic: Two questions about Tabs/Capsules in CT  (Read 1450 times)

BFG

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Two questions about Tabs/Capsules in CT
« on: October 19, 2012, 11:06:01 pm »
I'll be browsing the Compendium shortly to come up with an answer on this.

But in the meantime, I have two questions on Tabs/Capsules in Chrono Trigger.

(1) I know how to obtain infinite Power Tabs in a single runthrough.  How about Speed and Magic tabs--are there any unlimited sources?
(2) Does the use of Power or Magic Tabs on a character affect how much Power/Magic they gain in subsequent level ups?  That is, is the increase permanent?

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
Re: Two questions about Tabs/Capsules in CT
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 12:20:03 am »
No, the enemies that have Magic and Speed Tabs to steal do not re-spawn once defeated. In theory, continuous usage of New Game + should give you an unlimited amount, but yeah, it wouldn't be a single playthrough in that case.

No, the tabs only affect the stat themselves, not the amount they gain by level-up. Characters will always have the amount normal of their level + the tabs used, nothing more, nothing less.

BFG

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 01:10:18 am »
Thanks for the reply.  One follow-up question (that I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to):
Let's say--hypothetically--that Marle's Magic would normally cap at ** at level 50.  But I use several magic tabs on her so she hits ** at level 40.  I assume her magic is no stronger at level 50 in this case?  That is, the max is ** whether hit early with the use of tabs or not?

Rocky

• Porrean (+50)
  • I wonder if you still remember...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 02:22:19 am »
Yes, that's correct.  Whenever she hits ** in magic (whether it's at level 40 or 50 or whatever), she is permanently at the one and only max for magic power.

BFG

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 01:18:00 am »
Thanks for the clarification.
One last question, then: is there any point to maxing out Lucca's and Marle's Power stat?  I know it's not used for their regular physical attacks, but is it used in anything at all (including triple techs like Poyozo Dance)?

I just finished beating the Tubster about 80 times to max out everyone else's power stat...I'm not sure I'm interested in doing so another 150 or so times.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 12:35:14 pm »
I suppose unless you want to see the ** in there. Other than that, no, there is no in-game benefit to maxing their Power stat.

BFG

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 10:34:44 pm »
Thanks for the response.  I'll have to see if I can find the formulae for PoyozoDance etc. somewhere.

I've decided I'll go ahead and max out Lucca and Marle after all; there's no harm in it, and everyone will gain a few levels in the process.  Though to be honest, I find the mental image of a hypermuscular Lucca or Marle vaguely disturbing.

Rocky

• Porrean (+50)
  • I wonder if you still remember...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 03:37:51 am »
Yeah, giving them to Marle and Lucca is purely for show.  That said, all 5 of the other characters naturally reach ** in power by the time they reach level **.  (So I personally do give them to the girls.)  Hence, Power Tabs are the least useful of the three - by far.  Yet they're the only one you can get an infinite supply of in one playthrough (via the Tubster method you already mentioned).  Go figure.