Author Topic: Multicultural Music Video Appreciation Thread  (Read 4622 times)

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Multicultural Music Video Appreciation Thread
« on: October 13, 2012, 10:05:48 pm »
Aww, heck, I've been completely infected by a music video while trying to focus on grad school work, and I realized we haven't had a proper thread for music video sharing, appreciation and analysis yet. The idea here is to share a cool music video you've found (or remembered) recently, and tell us why it resonates with you. I hope this will help us expose one another to cultural discoveries. And, um...stuff. As these are modern cultural artifacts, we should totally be free to speak our minds on why material presented here puts us off as well.

I think the Chrono Compendium could totally replace MTV thanks to this thread. Anyway, if anyone has trouble embedding YouTube videos in the forum, here's the instrux:

youtube /youtube with just the video ID in between, and with [] brackets on the "youtube" tags.

While I've got a few German bands up my sleeve, I'm going to submit David Guetta's and Sia's new release, "She-Wolf." Why would I choose this? Call it...wolf's prerogative.

*Fair warnings for non-graphic nudity and fairly graphic blood*

[youtube]PVzljDmoPVs[/youtube]

The song and the music video strike me as kind of disconnected, but the video speaks to me on two levels. First, it appeals to the pro-naturalism I've grown up with (thank '90s grade school indoctrination and Sonic the Hedgehog for that!). Moreover, it's just hard not to identify with that wounded wolf, being hounded by constant challenges. If only our difficulties would collapse before us so easily! That wolf totally exploded those dudes.

I get the impression that medieval Scandinavia must have been a really fun place.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 10:18:30 pm by FaustWolf »

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Multicultural Music Video Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 12:02:02 pm »
I don't normally listen to Hindi / Urdu songs much, but because I'm Indian I believe that the best things I can contribute here will almost always be South-East Asian, worthy of appreciation for any curious eye (or, in this case, ear). I'll start with a simple song that's been stuck in my ear these days.

Recently, I've been reading into the history of the "Greater India" which initially also consisted of Pakistan, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Nepal, etc. beginning from the Paleolithic Age (simply because I have an exam on it), and was infatuated with the mysterious Harappan civilization (again!) and the strifes of the Post-Vedic ages, such as Magadha and Mauryan empires created after the Mahajanapadas (aka, "Kingdoms") went to war (which was probably more awesome than the Game of Thrones / The Song of Ice and Fire). Though the accounts were brief, my imagination went wild (remember what I meant about "I don't need no hallucinogens"?), and my strangest emotions cultivated countless vivid scenes in my mind, and if I ever had the time I swear I could have written several novels in just a couple of day! I see Chandragupta revolting against the tyranny of the previous king, conquering several kingdoms and waiting steadfast against the army of Alexander (which were right at the gates); and his descendant Ashoka mourning over the river of blood at Kalinga, screaming his heart out in woe, even though his selfish "conquest" was complete.

Yet despite all those strifes, my heart went back to the intriguing urban administrations of the primitive-yet-intelligent Harappa civilizations and their artisans -- they hardly seemed to know war beyond the will to "survive" peacefully -- and their lifestyles, which were efficient for their time. The artisans experimenting with clay, stones and copper, making the complex sculptures of priests (in honor) and animals (in love). I could see children running around trees, playing "catch" with each other, speaking Bahuii, past the great baths and granaries; then back home, their mothers would feed them their morsels, and the merchant father would return from Mesopotamia, bringing toys for them. They seem so happy, not knowing that it wouldn't last for long (earthquakes and floods imminent). For all the horrors that were about to come once the civilization disappears, of the little Ashoka learning how to kill at a young age, and the young prince Skandagupta disappearing mysteriously in the war against the Hunas, the little respite of this culture was... heavenly.

Hence this song reminds me that our lives may be full of endless strife, but there's always a little light of joy trying to save our sanity at all costs. There's always a little love trying to bind us together. Don't lose that happiness, don't let go of that love -- cherish it -- it's the single best thing you have in this world until all is lost.

[youtube]Ym8864Q98Hc[/youtube]

Here's some translations:

Abhi mujh mein kahin,
baaki thodi si hai zindagi
Jagi dhadkan nayi,
jaana zinda hoon main to abhi
Kuch aisi lagan
is lamhe mein hai
Yeh lamha kahaan tha mera

Ab hai saamne, ise chhoo loon zara
Mar jaaun ya jee loon zara
Khushiyaan choom loon
Ya ro loon zara

Right now, somewhere inside me
there remains a little bit of life...
A new heartbeat has awakened,
I realized that I'm still alive.
Such tenacity
Is there in this moment.
Where was this moment of mine?

Now it's before me, let me touch it just a bit,
Should I die, or live a little...
Should I kiss these joys
Or should I cry a little,

Ho abhi mujh mein kahin,
baaki thodi si hai zindagi

Still somewhere inside me,
there remains a little bit of life...

Ho.. dhoop mein jalte hue tann ko,
chhaya ped ki mil gayi
Roothe bachche ki hansi jaise,
phuslaane se phir khil gayi
Kuch aisa hi ab mehsoos dil ko ho raha hai
Barson ke puraane zakhmon pe marham laga sa hai
Kuch aisa reham is lamhe mein hai
Ye lamha kahaan tha mera

Ab hai saamne, ise chhoo loon zara
Khushiyan choom loon
Ya ro loon zara

(It's as if) The skin burning beneath the sun
Has found a shade beneath a tree,
Like the smile of a child upset
has been cajoled to blossom again.
Something like that is what my heart feeling now,
It's like a balm applied to ages old wounds.
Such mercy exists in this moment,

Should I kiss these joys

Dor se tooti patang jaisi,
thi yeh zindagani meri
Aaj hoon kal ho mera na ho
Har din thi kahaani meri
Ek bandhan naya peechhe se ab mujhko bulaaye
Aane wale kal ki kyun fikar mujhko sataa jaaye
Ik aisi chubhan, is lamhe mein hai
Yeh lamha kahaan tha mera

Ab hai saamne, isse chhoo loon zara
Marr jaaun ya jee loon zara
Khushiyaan choom loon
Ya ro loon zara
Marr jaaun ya jee loon zara..

Like a kite with broken string
Was this life I've lived,
I'm here today, tomorrow may or may not be mine;
It was my story ever day. (he was unsure of how long he'd live)
Now a new bond calls me from behind,
So why should the worry of tomorrow trouble me?
Such a prickle exists in this moment,

Should I kiss these joys

-------------------------------

...........aww, man, I'm so in love.  :cry: This song makes me incredibly emotional.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 10:17:18 pm »
 Thank you tushantin.
 I don't kow much about Indian culture. I recall my parents told me Indian films are like operas, sort of. I think they were talking about things during 1950s to 1970s. There weren't many foreign films floating around in China so people tended to remember their unique characteristics: North Korean movies - cry and laugh, Albanian movies - you never understand, Chinese movies - news reports, Vietnamese movies - air planes and guns, Indian movies - sing and dance... it is interesting even though I have barely seen those old movies, I still remember some songs. For example Awaara Hoon from an Indian movie and Bella Ciao from a Yugoslavia movie(though it's an Italian song).
 My father told me shortly after the Culture Revolution, foreign movies could be seen once again. Some people were even following the copies from one theatre to another(at that time sometimes there weren't enough copies so they would be delivered from one theatre to another) and never seemed to have enough. That's when Awaara Hoon became popular I guess, hehe.

Sorry I don't have anything in mind to contribute right now.

xcalibur

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 09:47:50 am »
recent madness from Japan:

[youtube]GivkxpAVVC4[/youtube]

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 07:39:54 pm »
That's a little like White Stripes meets Gwen Stefani, with a little Da Mouth thrown in for good measure.

Anywho, I'll put forward Blind Guardian's "Another Stranger Me:"

[youtube]Uv-Nn-yNpAQ[/youtube]

I've found that Man vs Self stories tend to resonate with me, particularly when the dichotomy between the sides is strongest. This takes it to a bit of an extreme, but its still good.

Synchronization

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 03:29:17 pm »
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 07:02:11 pm by Synchronization »

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 07:09:12 pm »
That's a little like White Stripes meets Gwen Stefani, with a little Da Mouth thrown in for good measure.

Anywho, I'll put forward Blind Guardian's "Another Stranger Me:"

[youtube]Uv-Nn-yNpAQ[/youtube]

I've found that Man vs Self stories tend to resonate with me, particularly when the dichotomy between the sides is strongest. This takes it to a bit of an extreme, but its still good.

Blind Guardian is fantastic! Have you seen them live?

I'll put in another German band: Van Canto.

[youtube]Kwz0Q8_q9yo[/youtube]

They're an a capella metal band, and they're great.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 11:20:12 am by FaustWolf »

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 07:46:15 pm »
That is awesome. Thanks, RD, I've been listening to them most the day now. I particularly love the fact that they've even covered a Blind Guardian song.

Speaking of a cappella groups, I'll present the Maccabeats and their song, Candlelight

[youtube]qSJCSR4MuhU[/youtube]

The visual is quite similar to the various fan symphonies you may have seen. The intense pleasure these guys get from signing, though, is quite infectious. Their Purim song is great, too.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 09:05:35 pm »
Another well-applauded music from India. This time by Ram Sampath, whose music did great justice to the "Satyamev Jayate" project launched by Aamir Khan to discuss various social issues. This one is titled "Soil speaks, earth / mud speaks", based on the economic exploitation of farmers and the poisoning of agricultural produce, and other problems.

[youtube]tJxJjCD6LKk[/youtube]

Lyrics:

Haule Haule dheeme dheeme
 Mitti bole, maati bole

Gently gently, slowly slowly
The soil speaks, the earth speaks

Geet boney the tumhe
 Bo diye kyun laal sholay
 Haule-Haule dheeme dheeme
 Mitti bole, maati bole

You were to sow songs
Why did you sow red embers instead?

Ghar ke aangan mein kahaan se
 Yeh lapat si aa gayi?
 Khidkiyon ki thi woh raunak
 Dhoop ab kahaan gayi?

Where, in the yard of our home
 Did this flame come from?
 There was a radiance coming from the window;
 Where did that sunshine go?

Kyon hawa hai roothi roothi
 Shaakh gumsum kyun na dole
 Mitti bole, maati bole

Why is the air angry and upset?
 Why are the branches quiet, unmoving?

Garam hai maatha saagar ka
 Tabiyat dheeli dheeli
 Dekho chhalakti aasmaan ki aankh neeli neeli
 Kisne paani ko jalaya?
 Kisne paani ko jalaya?
 Kaun vish jheelon mein ghole?
 Mitti bole, mati bole

The forehead of sea is hot
 Its health is down
 Look at the sky's blue eyes spill
 Who burnt the water?
 Who burnt the water?
 Who is poisoning the lakes?

I don't kow much about Indian culture. I recall my parents told me Indian films are like operas, sort of. I think they were talking about things during 1950s to 1970s. There weren't many foreign films floating around in China so people tended to remember their unique characteristics: North Korean movies - cry and laugh, Albanian movies - you never understand, Chinese movies - news reports, Vietnamese movies - air planes and guns, Indian movies - sing and dance... it is interesting even though I have barely seen those old movies, I still remember some songs. For example Awaara Hoon from an Indian movie and Bella Ciao from a Yugoslavia movie(though it's an Italian song).
Strangely, quite a lot of Indian movies are very operatic (if that's a word)! I'm not sure how and where it was influenced from (though it all seemed to start with Mughal-e-Azam), but music is considered to be a direct link to the heart (that, and some tunes can be very catchy, despite its ridiculousness). Some prefer music as an art (like that Sonu Nigam song I posted earlier) and some simply like it because it's entertaining (like most "item songs" in Bollywood). In either case, songs usually play a great role in whether the movie will be remembered, and a good song will always amplify the emotions that's told in the stories.

I guess, despite China being so close to India, the only Chinese movies we get seem to be imported from western countries -- mostly America, and often dubbed in English. Hence, it wouldn't be surprising that 90% of the Chinese movies imported tend to be Kung Fu genre (except the Shinjuku Incident which, though Japanese, is an exception because, hey, Jackie Chan!). I guess it's a similar thing with Bollywood movies, and which ones are most likely entertained overseas. For instance, a few foreign friends have recently told me that nearly every Bollywood movie they watch is starring Shahrukh Khan; while that's not entirely true, the fact that most of their watched movies have Shahrukh Khan speak much for the actor's popularity in abroad. (Hence why I encouraged them watching some Non-Sharukh movies, such as the legendary Kahaani, starring Vidya Balan as a female Sherlockian protagonist).

As for Awaara Hoon, that's actually one of my most favorite classical Bollywood songs!  :P Second (or third) only to Jeena Isi Ka Naam Hai.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 11:35:45 am »
Oooh, we should totally post lyrics for the foreign-language songs if we can find them! I'm really loving how the conversation is spilling over into movies -- pretty amazing to sit in on a media conversation between people from China and India.

Here's some more German. The band is Silbermond, which I gather is all the rage over there. Their videos tend to be really creative too. I think this one's about trying to find something stable in an effed-up world, and friendships weathering the storm.

[youtube]9sfknBJlmoo[/youtube]

Here's some lyrics and translation thanks to the fine folks at the AllTheLyrics forum.

Irgendwas bleibt - Silbermond
 Something remains

Sag mir, dass dieser Ort hier sicher ist
 Tell me that this place is secure
 und alles Gute steht hier still.
 And all the good things take a halt here
 Und dass das Wort, dass du mir heute gibst,
 And that the word which you give me today
 morgen noch genauso gilt.
 Is still valid tomorrow
 Diese Welt ist schnell
 This world is fast
 und hat verlernt beständig zu sein.
 And forgot how to be steady
 Denn Versuchungen setzen ihre Frist.
 Because temptations set their term
Doch bitte schwör, dass wenn ich wieder komm,
 But please swear, that when I return
 alles noch beim Alten ist.
 Everything is still the same
 Gib mir'n kleines bisschen Sicherheit
 Give me a little bit of security
 in einer Welt in der nichts sicher scheint.
 In a world where nothing seems secure
 Gib mir in dieser schnellen Zeit irgendwas das bleibt.
 Give me something that remains in this fast time
 Gib mir einfach nur'n bisschen Halt.
 Just give me a little bit of stability
 Und wieg mich einfach nur in Sicherheit.
 And simply keep me secure
 Hol mich aus dieser schnellen Zeit.
 Take me out of this fast time
 Nimm mir ein bisschen Geschwindigkeit.
 Take away a little bit of my speed
 Gib mir was.. irgendwas, das bleibt.
 Give me something, something that remains
 Auch wenn die Welt den Verstand verliert,
 Even when the world goes crazy
 das Hier bleibt unberührt.
 This place will remain untouched
 Nichts passiert ...
 Nothing happens

[refrain]
Gib mir ein kleines bisschen Sicherheit
 in einer Welt in der nichts sicher scheint.
 Gib mir in dieser schnellen Zeit irgendwas das bleibt.
 Gib mir einfach nur ein bisschen Halt.
 Und wieg mich einfach nur in Sicherheit.
 Hol mich aus dieser schnellen Zeit.
 Nimm mir ein bisschen Geschwindigkeit.
 Gib mir was.. irgendwas, das bleibt.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 09:57:50 pm »
That is awesome. Thanks, RD, I've been listening to them most the day now. I particularly love the fact that they've even covered a Blind Guardian song.

I like their cover of The Bard's Song better than the album cut of the original. But that's a bit unfair; The Bard's Song is meant to be sung with as large a group of people as possible. One of my favorite moments from seeing Blind Guardian; hopefully one I'll be able to repeat with Van Canto.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 05:02:44 pm »
... you know, I can't remember the studio cut of the original, but I do remember the version they recorded on their Live album. Definitely a group experience.

I realized, I hadn't mentioned Steam Powered Giraffe yet. They're a Steampunk Mime Band... thingy. Fun times. Unfortunately, I've gotten the impression that one really should see them live for the full experience.

[youtube]gQWY-JOhF2I[/youtube]

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 10:12:49 am »
Gavroche from Les Miserables has won my heart. So this one's dedicated to him:

[youtube]ppotuhZjIkA[/youtube]

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2013, 05:00:53 pm »
I'd never heard that version of the song before. In the comments, someone says it was something that cut from the musical. Is that accurate?

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 12:31:54 am »
I'd never heard that version of the song before. In the comments, someone says it was something that cut from the musical. Is that accurate?

If I remember correctly, it may have something to do with scripts and scenes being cut and revised before importing from lesser plays / theatres to Broadway. If so, then this version of the song is from those original scripts. The musical movies were thus based on Broadway's revised edition.

And personally, I love it! It may not be accurate to Gavroche's depiction in the novels, but it still has that innocent yet optimistic spirit about him. :D