Author Topic: Your Favorite Chrono Moment  (Read 3057 times)

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
Your Favorite Chrono Moment
« on: August 08, 2012, 12:18:31 am »
What was your favorite moment in a Chrono game? Could be Trigger, Cross, Dreamers, Crimson Echoes, or any other fan game or fan fic or art or anything tangentially related to the Chronoverse.

For me: It's still probably the reveal that the small child Janus and Magus were one and the same. Blew my mind for the first time in a video game. Hell, for the first time in a story. It really got my gears turning, and while I identified with Frog more, and thought Crono was cooler, that moment with Magus was the first time I realized I was interested in the process of storytelling.

Rocky

• Porrean (+50)
  • I wonder if you still remember...
    • View Profile
Re: Your Favorite Chrono Moment
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 02:17:47 am »
Well, for me, the most emotional part of Chrono Trigger is the time between when Crono dies and when he is revived - primarily Marle's desperation during that time.  So that is my favorite part of the game.  If I have to narrow it down to one moment, it would have to be Crono and Marle's one-on-one reunion atop Death Peak.

I think the fact that it's a very brief scene in a 16-bit video game sort of masks how big a deal that was for the heroes.  For Marle.  We don't see dead people getting resurrected.  So if you lost your best friend in the whole world, and against all odds they came back...well, how big a deal would that be to you?

Anyway, Chrono Trigger is the game in the series that I really love.  So that's the best moment in the series for me.

(I also love the campfire scene, and - in CC - the moment between Serge and young Kid outside of Lucca's burning orphanage.  That was a sad one...)

Manly Man

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Don't be a pussy. She looks legit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 03:29:08 am »
The two games that I've played each have their own favorite spot for me. In Chrono Trigger, there is no denying that it just wouldn't have been the same without- wait for it-

The Trial.

I don't think I should even have to explain that one.

I'm not quite as dead certain about hat my favorite scene is in Chrono Cross, though. It's likely a tie between when Grobyc saves everyone's skin from Guillot, who was a total pain to fight. That's tied with the Marbule concert where you have to kill all the Lagoonates. Both are pretty awesomesauce. The scene where you can easily get the Black Relic by taking Harle to meet the Black Dragon is pretty nifty as well, as it's almost a sort of Easter Egg.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 04:17:53 am »
CT:
That Frog cut the mountain with that sword.

CC:
The Dead Sea.

RD:
Got goose bumps when I heard the Frozen Flame theme.

Grace Ashtear

• Earthbound (+15)
  • There is no spoon...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 09:25:38 pm »
Only played Trigger, and I have a few.
Crono's revival, though already mentioned, was one of my favorites. I even remember the first time I played when Marle hugged him right after I went "Awwww!" out loud and started crying a little. Totally adorable.
Something I don't think receives enough credit: How motherly Lucca is toward Robo. It really touched me when she was repairing him after the other robots thrashed him and I remember something along the lines of this;
Robo: Lucca, what if you won't be able to repair me? And...
Lucca: Hush, don't say that. You will be fine real soon.
It's no wonder she would do fine running an orphanage in the future :)

Rocky

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 01:14:30 am »
Very true, Grace.  The relationship between Lucca and Robo is very meaningful to me.  And it goes two ways.  When Robo is waiting for Lucca upon her return from the past, at such an emotional moment, he has very kind words for her (in addition to an extremely special gift, 400 years in the making).

And yeah, the hug on the top of Death Peak - as the other characters fade out - is a very tender moment, after such intense distress endured by Marle.

X4220

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 03:14:27 pm »
CT:
Everything in 12000 B.C., my favourite part of the game.
Most parts of 2300 A.D., except chasing goddamn rat and falling from Death Peak :x.
CC:
First and foremost,Fort Dragonia when Serge is reborn, always slowly reading history of the world from Dragonians point of view.
Meeting with Kid at Cape Howl.
Guldove, what to do now?!
Dead Sea.
Chronopolis.
Burning orphanage.
Terra Tower.

TheMage

• Artist of Termina
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Dreaming through time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 04:56:51 am »
Heh, for Chrono Trigger I share my favorite part with you Bekkler, when I found out Magus was actually Janus I let the scene play out, shut off my super nintendo turned it back on and re-watched that part about 3 times in utter shock. it totally swept the rug out from under my feet. My opinion of him did 180!

A close second for me is Robo's quest in Geno Dome. The robot factory with mother brain and Atropos and 'evil' robots  scared me and intrigued me. The part that meant the most to me was as Atropos died she got her free will back only for a few moments. That she like Robo had human like qualities and that fascinated me.

I never did finish Chrono Cross due to a used game disc, a hard drive wipe, and just pure laziness but my favorite moment so far is Nikki's concert! Loved the song and one of the few things I remember.

My favorite moment of Crimson Echoes (and there were a lot of them) Is probably the reunion between Schala and Magus. Because I've wanted to see that since my first play of Chrono Trigger.

skylark

• Poet of El Nido
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 01:00:43 am »
*sigh* Do I really need to say it? :?

Yes, I do. Any scene featuring Schala, with my favorite being her introduction. It's the calm before the storm before shit really starts hitting the fan for her, a brief moment of what could possibly pass as normalcy in her life. And her theme... *sniff* Still chokes me up.

Special mention goes to learning about Schala's fate during the infodump at the end of Cross. My thoughts were amongst the lines of, 'Holy crap! I get a chance to save her! Yay!'

Of course, my joy did a complete 180 when I saw what Yuki did to her character design.

Damn youse, Yukiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!! :o

Synchronization

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 10:18:36 am »
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 07:08:53 pm by Synchronization »

HeadlessFritz

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 03:53:29 am »
First time I got on the floating continent where Enhasa is. Never expected that in a Ice Age.

Rocky

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2012, 04:58:31 am »
Mmm, that's a good one.  In addition to floating in the sky, it looks so vibrant and mystical - I forget how fascinating it must have looked to me the first time I played it, long ago.

xcalibur

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 12:43:13 pm »
for me, it was meeting Magus on the North Cape.

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 02:13:18 pm »
Trigger:
For music: Spekkio's Theme, because the cheerful-upbeat God of War was too amusing!
Level: Any of Magus' castles
Overall plot/music/everything: Getting Magus in the party and beating the shit out of Queen Zeal while his theme plays in the background.

Cross:
Music: ALL OF THE MUSIC.
Level: I really like Isle of the Damned of some reason.
Overall plot/music/everything: I haven't beaten it yet...I'm on the last stage though and pretty much know what happens afterward. I think my favorite part so far is resurrecting Marbule, though.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 07:24:49 pm »
The first battle with Magus in Chrono Trigger. When Magus' theme kicked into high gear...oh man, that had to be the most exciting Saturday morning ever. And since I wasn't much for leveling up my first time through, it was a tough battle too -- the ultimate showdown!

For Chrono Cross, I'd have to agree with utunnels and say the Dead Sea. It is the ultimate sad, creepy wasteland. I'm pretty sure I did a little happy dance the first time I got Glenn on my team too.