Author Topic: Are characters more vulnerable to certain statuses than others?  (Read 1894 times)

Grace Ashtear

• Earthbound (+15)
  • There is no spoon...
    • View Profile
Well, here goes my first time posting here.
Reason I ask this is because something that I notice in patterns with the statuses when characters get affected. The most noticeable? Lucca almost always is affected with Chaos whenever a move is used that has the ability to do so. (like 9 out of 10 times) Even with Lavos Core and his "Spell" move, what happens most often is that Lucca is the only one affected, which becomes Chaos, the other party members being Crono and Marle. Then 1 out of 5 times it is instead Stop on Lucca, and from that Crono also sometimes gets it. Marle just never gets anything, which I guess I won't complain since she is a major healer.
In short, I ask this: Is there just something about Lucca that makes her vulnerable to Chaos? It bugs me all the time. Also, there seems to be something about Crono and Slow... just help with my confusion?

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Re: Are characters more vulnerable to certain statuses than others?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 01:35:39 pm »
I'm not sure.  I don't recall Lucca's magic defense stat being that much worse than everyone else's.  If it's not that, it would have to be a hidden stat.

Grace Ashtear

• Earthbound (+15)
  • There is no spoon...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 03:37:08 pm »
I don't think statuses have to do with magic defense. In fact, I think Lucca has great defense stats all around, her drawback being she has a fairly slow time to prepare for her turn. I just wonder if there is something for being vulnerable to certain ailments, because she has the same results with all others, but when it comes to Chaos it happens too often to be coincidence.
As for magic defense, Crono's is 91 while both Marle and Lucca have two stars. Maybe it is a hidden stat, I was wondering if anyone else noticed but I guess not.

Manly Man

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Don't be a pussy. She looks legit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 04:04:05 pm »
I'm not sure myself. Maybe it's just a little quirk that the designers put in for the characters? Lucca, being the mad genius she is, would be more susceptible to her brain shorting out from how much she's always thinking, Crono, in spite of how awesome he is, is also kind of retarded, hence the Slow effect. I've seen Ayla get either Chaos or Blind an awful lot, I haven't seen much anything on Robo or Marle, Frog gets Chaos and Poison quite often, but the only thing I've seen Magus get is Blind. I'm not sure how exactly any of those would fit properly, but it's still a good thought exercise if you wanna bother with linking them.

Grace Ashtear

• Earthbound (+15)
  • There is no spoon...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 09:08:43 pm »
You gotta point with Lucca thinking a lot and the "short outs in her brain". Reminds me of a similar case in Earthbound where Brainshock, that causes strangeness (same as Chaos that may make them attack their teammates) where the higher IQ stat your player has, the harder it is to avoid. And naturally the genius (Jeff) would get it the most. In response to your observations:
Crono: I don't know what you mean by Crono being retarded. I mostly that he is a very well built swordsman who can be agile, and slowness would be opposite of that, so yeah, maybe that.
Ayla: Being affected by Chaos and Blind may have to do with her no nonsense "Just do it"(no Nike jokes please) personality.
Frog: He also has a kind of no nonsense personality, but poison... I really don't know. Aren't some frogs poisonous so it would be the opposite?
Magus: Not being affected too much makes since if he is supposed to be a master magician who can control several elements.
Robo and Marle: Well, Robo is a robot. and Marle, I just don't know. She's mostly a jack of all trades with resistance who is moderate to all. In fact, of the 20+ times I fought Lavos's Core, there was only 2 times where Spell actually did something to Marle (both Chaos)
As for Invading Light, Crono: pretty much every time, Marle: about half the time, Lucca: like never.
So there ya go for a thought exercise. I didn't pick my username randomly, after all.  :wink:

Manly Man

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Don't be a pussy. She looks legit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 12:07:37 pm »
I'd said what I did about Crono because, well, it takes having more balls than brains to see all of your friends laid out on the ground around you, and yet you still jump up right in front of a giant space monster, apparently determined to tell it to suck a chode, at least if you weren't mute. Mostly just a fun poke at him is all.

Grace Ashtear

• Earthbound (+15)
  • There is no spoon...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 01:49:09 pm »
I see that. But, the mute thing? I don't get why people always assume Crono never talks. I mean: he does have the silent protagonist role, but usually in that, he actually does talk as much as the next character, just that his speech doesn't make it through the fourth wall. The same is true for just about every RPG and I never got that about people.
And yes, I know he actually does speak at the slide show ending. Two. F#!@ing. Lines.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 03:23:23 pm »
It takes having more balls than brains to see all of your friends laid out on the ground around you, and yet you still jump up right in front of a giant space monster, apparently determined to tell it to suck a chode

God that's hilarious!

Grace Ashtear

• Earthbound (+15)
  • There is no spoon...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 04:44:24 pm »
It's amazing how an innocent topic turns into a debate about if Crono thinks more with his brave balls than his brain...  :picardno

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 01:29:52 am »
The most noticeable? Lucca almost always is affected with Chaos whenever a move is used that has the ability to do so. (like 9 out of 10 times)

Oh God, so much. Good thing she misses pretty much all the time during Chaos...

...hmm, but yeah, I never even thought about it, and thought I was getting unlucky. But it's true, she gets Chaos'd much more often than anyone else in my experience...

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 03:49:21 am »
Well, this would be interesting if indeed the characters had individual status ailment susceptible levels, kinda like their innate resistances due to their innate elements...