Author Topic: The worst fucking thing  (Read 2741 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
The worst fucking thing
« on: July 12, 2012, 12:13:10 am »
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ocremix/a-4-disc-final-fantasy-6-album-from-oc-remix

Oh jesus christ, fuck you. Fuck OCR. And fuck the stupid fucking asshole who really pledged $5,000 so OCR can throw together another terrible, worthless, shitty remix album. It's all been a downhill slide since DKCProject.

http://support.na.square-enix.com/main.php?la=1&id=496

Report the everliving shit out of them to Square Enix. You don't get to make money off Square Enix's intellectual copyright, for one. And for two, you don't deserve the attention for your shitty, nerdtastic fan wanking godawful gigasample-abusing shitmixes. Fuck off.

"many tracks will require studio recording time or professional mixing/mastering" -- yet won't be half as good as most content from pre-2006 OCR or VGMix 2!

guys give me money for a nostalgic remix album lol its so good its ocremix were like the most important video game music people...like ever
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 12:18:16 am by ZeaLitY »

Satoh

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Am I your dream... or are you mine...?
    • View Profile
Re: The worst fucking thing
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 12:28:39 am »
While I agree that their pretentiousness with all these albums they're making is getting quite irritating... There are still a large number of mixes I do in fact like from them... The way things are going right now, reporting them full legit to Squenix would probably put them in the grave permanently much the way of megaupload or btjunkie... Sure they aren't pirating their files, but they are making money on someone else's intellectual property without direct consent.

I suppose what I'm saying is, don't sledgehammer your computer because it has a virus on it; there are still uses for it and it may be fixable.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 02:49:18 am »
That's the point. Why should they be able to profit from someone else's work?

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 05:34:39 am »
Strangely, I was never able to profit from my own works....

After my exams, I'm gonna work harder to get those videos / novel / t-shirts done.

Satoh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 08:46:25 am »

My point is that unless someone stockpiles every remix before turning them in, all the remixes that are decent will be destroyed along with them...

I don't really care if they want to sell a bunch of remixes that are already freely available on their site... nor do I care that Squenix isn't getting a cut... What bothers me is how obnoxious they're getting about making albums out of stuff they already amassed, or hyping themselves up as anything more than a collection of independents that occasionally cooperate...

There was a time when they were a moderately humble repository of decent music... They're losing sight of that with every album they release... and the music isn't up to par anymore anyway... However, if they go away all the decent songs I haven't downloaded yet go with them.

This isn't a 'small fine' or 'cease and desist' matter. There is possible grounds for a 'fair use' defense or a defense calling into question how one defines what is and isn't a 'direct theft of musical information' as the defense has been used before successfully...

But regardless, if they are punished, it will be the final solution.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 09:11:58 pm »
Copyright law surrounding music strikes me as really lax and even-handed compared to other media. Presumably some kind of mechanical licensing of the Final Fantasy VI soundtrack is in the mix here?

Not that it's fair in the least; I still fail to see the difference between a revamped fan soundtrack and a revamped fangame like Chrono Resurrection. It's just too bad there aren't structured avenues to go through with non-music media.

Chrono_Fusion

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 04:38:49 am »
if your looking for good remixes, dont go to OCremix, the only thing theyve done that I liked was their sonic 3 and knuckles album and their mega man stuff. they are very hit and miss, with alot of misses

Satoh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 05:35:45 am »
I quite like their selection of metroid mixes... albeit not the ones they used in their metroid album... but the ones that were there before they started being a profited "organization."

There are a few select Chrono mixes I liked, and of course the MM and Sonic musics, and the a few of the FF mixes.

But the problem in my eyes... is that they're not just making money off of Squenix... they're following suit and becoming a non-indie corporate entity, without the perks that come from being corporate... and without the perks of being indie...

In short, money is the very thing that will destroy them, in one way or another... Quickly or slowly... Every time money becomes a primary factor, quality is sure to suffer, not in speculation, but by definition. Business is, after all, about getting the most money for the least amount of work possible. This generally turns formerly very qualitative products, into cheap(production-wise) crap that sells for only -slightly- less than when it was worth the money.

Selling a 1[currency] product to a million people is always better than selling a much higher quality product for 4[currencies] to a thousand people.

It's all very disgusting, and I hope I never whore myself out in such a way.

Chrono_Fusion

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 06:13:16 am »
they kinda botched their attempt at a big game ost when they did SSFT2 HD Remix, that soundtrack was pretty bad and I missed the original Arcade ost.

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 05:39:25 pm »
On the other hand, just like us, the people at OCRemix are getting older and getting their own problems. I'm not saying it excuses what they're doing, because I don't think they should be asking for money for something like this; however, I don't think they are just being completely selfish. Remember, even if we think they are being pretentious pricks, I'm sure they all feel that they have good reason for doing this. And who knows what's going on for them? Maybe this'll make sure someone can pay rent for the next month.

As far as I can tell they're not charging to download remixes, so it's not hurting anyone if other people feel it's worthwhile to spend money on them. It's not a waste of money from the perspectives of the people who donated.

And you should be going to http://remix.thasauce.net/ these days anyway. :3

To be honest, the only reason I don't go to OCR any more is because I don't have the patience to sit and listen to songs to see if I like them anymore. I check back in every once in a while, and got a few nice recent remixes as well.

I guess I just don't see how it's "the worst fucking thing." ^^' Maybe I just don't understand the importance of this situation because I'm young and immature? OwO

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 01:23:44 pm »
I guess I just don't see how it's "the worst fucking thing." ^^' Maybe I just don't understand the importance of this situation because I'm young and immature? OwO
No, you probably don't share his prejudice because you're a different person. Even I don't see this as the "worst fucking thing" -- to me, the worst fucking things are far atrocious than what the First World folks can ever imagine.

Then perhaps I may need to revisit the paradox of falling down the "Fan-art Cliff", where once you're recognized as an artist you'll only gain that recognition via fanarts itself, and not your original works. This can be both a pain and a boon for the artist, the latter taking advantage of the popularity and demand to monetize as much as possible. Stooping to Kitsch for a bit of money is a common thing in the Art world. Then again, do remember that Kickstarter is a volunteering service, and people decide whether they want to donate a portion of money or not, and many would try to research whether the artist is even worth it.

That said, since this month will be the last one at my current job, I'll have no money for the whole year forward now. And yes, I too considered monetizing via Redbubble services by making fanart...

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 01:27:28 pm »
Then perhaps I may need to revisit the paradox of falling down the "Fan-art Cliff", where once you're recognized as an artist you'll only gain that recognition via fanarts itself, and not your original works.

Hmm, well I guess it's a good thing I like doing fanart then. ^^' Although I'm going to hopefully get a job drawing what my bosses tell me to, for THEIR game.

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 05:17:31 pm »
The Kickstarter page got deleted on July 20th or so. Currently reading through the OCRemix forums and news updates, as they were confused about the deletion.

Edit: It has something to do with Square Enix. I'm not sure what exactly; people are saying things about not having licensed the music. OCR says they're talking with Square Enix to resolve things.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 05:36:41 pm by Vehek »

chi_z

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • And you thought the dalton idea was ludicrous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 06:13:31 pm »
lol, whuddabout their ff7 remake, didnt they have money with that too

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 01:25:06 am »

I wonder how they're handling how it feels to be C&Ded. Oh wait, 30 pages of guessing and a bunch of nerds concerned that their donations actually won't go through. God forbid a few pasty white egomaniacs don't get their extortion money to pay for professionally mastering their shitty ripoffs of Uematsu's music.