Author Topic: Artists, who and what are your influences?  (Read 1703 times)

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Artists, who and what are your influences?
« on: June 23, 2012, 08:53:20 pm »
I'm still at the point in my life where I'm crazy with work 24/7, but I took out some time today to jot down the people who influenced my approach to art. I found it a useful exercise because it reminded me where I come from on an artistic level, and where I'm going. And more importantly that I have an art, even if I've been going bonkers over other things for the past couple years. I thought I'd share, and I'd love to see the results of others who can entertain this subject.

As far as guidance on the thread, I'm really just looking for everyone's stream of consciousness. I would only ask that the speaker link to a piece of media the influencing artist has created, or at least name an example so the rest of us can read, see or hear, or yank it out of the ether if it seems inaccessible at the moment.

So I'm going to rank my influences in terms of the depth of effect they've had on me. It's incredibly tacky to list Masato Kato first but it has to be done -- not for Chrono, but for the opening scene of Ninja Gaiden II, which came several years earlier. I feel I was truly born the moment I first experienced it; life was just a kind of listless existence before this appeared on my family's TV screen. Something in this piece of media struck a chord in me, and from that point on I began daydreaming stories at a young age. It's embarrassing to say, but I probably lived most of my elementary school and early high school years swimming in my own mind! Tolkien visited me a few years before Kato, but it was Kato's work that truly stirred me once and for all, because in Ninja Gaiden II I saw the storytelling power of multimedia. That's why I'll never claim to be "writing" so much as building multimedia projects. It's just my way.

The really interesting thing is that, to pursue my dream, I'll have to call upon the powers of multiple disciplines. There's something truly special about an artist who's willing to lend his or her power to help tell another's story. Kato was particularly fortunate in this regard early on, because he could do the art and the scenario at the same time! Waaaah!

So then I have to list Norihiko Yonesaka and Kazuhiro Matsuda, plus their translators, for their work on Front Mission 3. I haven't spoken much about this game here simply because it's poorly documented, but it actually had an impact on my real-world career interests (gasp!). I didn't give a hoot about politics or government before 1999 -- I always considered myself on the Computer Science track. Suspension of disbelief aside, Front Mission 3 ground into my head the effects politics have on real people, so I seriously entertained a government career from then on. September 11, 2001 came quickly after my exposure to this, and that pretty much sealed the deal. My career and artistic aspirations have undergone quite a bit of strange flux and intermingling since then, but my fascination with politics will always carry through on account of this videogame. Weird, huh?

Now I arrive at Canadian/American filmmaker James Cameron, particularly for Aliens, and also particularly for the Avatar scriptment. The first piece of media pretty much sealed the deal on my artistic attitudes toward gender, which were once again primed by Tolkien (the Eowyn episode just does that to you). The Avatar scriptment opened my mind to means alternative to prose for storytelling, which set me on the path to developing a system that's efficient for my needs. I'm still on that evolutionary path, but this (ostensibly leaked) exposure to an artist's private document was really crucial for my development.

Next up is Yasumi Matsuno, plus his translators past and present, for his work on the Ogre series. If the folks behind Front Mission 3 kindled my interest in politics, then Matsuno taught me the importance of world building. Dude is a freaking genius when it comes to that. He's kind of in the same position as Kato is, because his work in that particular game world is dependent on the corporation's decisions and we may very well never see him at this height again. It is just amazing to stand back and reflect on the fact that this world building is actually the man's job and not his pastime -- who knows what he's really got going on in his head on the side! At the same time, I fear to ever walk in his shoes. I definitely want to be an artist pursuing his craft independent of the financials. Uh, somehow.

Still, in many ways, Matsuno's work lies at the absolute center of my heart. If my artistic endeavors ever reach fruition, you'll know it only by the opening chimes since I'd publish under a name very different from "FaustWolf." It'll make sense if you pay attention to the opening seconds of Tactics Ogre.

And then there's Yoshitaka Murayama for his work on Suikoden and Suikoden II. Like Matsuno, Murayama was a master of world building. But it was Murayama who really taught me the force of emotional resonance -- of setting up situations that really tug at the viewer's or consumer's heartstrings.

And finally, I have to cut it short at Tetsuya Takahashi, Soraya Saga, et al., for their work on Xenogears and other Square Enix franchises. It was Xenogears, ironically, that taught me the importance of time -- of how conflict flows from one generation or decade to the next if left unresolved. That was a big artistic discovery for me, and a theme I definitely intend to tap into.

So that's kind of my story in a nutshell -- and I say that in the belief that a person's influences can tell you so much about them. In that spirit, I'm curious to learn more about you all!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 09:01:50 pm by FaustWolf »

Synchronization

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Re: Artists, who and what are your influences?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 06:42:37 pm »
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 07:11:11 pm by Synchronization »

Manly Man

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Don't be a pussy. She looks legit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 09:13:16 pm »
If you're a fan of Queen, you REALLY, REALLY need to play it. The crew for the game is a bunch of hardcore fans.

jamesexia

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 09:13:35 pm »
You have convinced me, I must see this Tactics Ogre game in full for myself.

:D You'll love it! I'll only say this about the story: the early parts are based on events that happened in Yugoslavia. Ethnic cleansing and all that. I won't say anymore, because the rest of the game is just flat out awesome! 8)

Satoh

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Am I your dream... or are you mine...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 08:07:19 am »
I draw a large portion of my inspiration from music and individual scenes from games, movies, or the written word... as such I think musicians are the only ones I can pin down at any single moment.

In no particular order...
Yuki Kajiura... Almost everythiing...
Yasunori Mitsuda... Chrono Series, Xeno series...
Nobuo Uematsu... Final fantasy and his unaffiliated music...
Kenji Yamamoto and Minako Hamano for their work on Super Metroid...
Hirokazu Tanaka, Ryoji Yoshitomi, Kenji Yamamoto, Minako Hamano, Akira Fujiwara, Kouichi Kyuma, Masaru Tajima, Lawrence Schwedler, James Phillipsen, Kuniaki Haishima... Original Metroid...

Masato Kato of course...
Yuji Naka for the original series of Sonic Games...
Keiji Inafune... Megaman... I often neglect this one, despite it taking up a large part of my creative thoughts of late... I suppose on games or anime there are just too many to list... so I'll leave these alone.

Lauren Faust's work on PPG and MLPFIM and I'm not in the least bit ashamed of that(Not ashamed, but I don't bring it up without reason).

In fact if I had to count the number of amazing ideas I've had due to saturday morning cartoons... I'd probably never get any sleep for the rest of my life.

H. P. Lovecraft's legacy...Most recently.
Orson Scott Card's Ender series...
The Monty Python crew and Douglas Adams... are largely a part of who I am...
Jhonen Vasquez deserves a mention for his cynical satire as well.

Ridley Scott, James Cameron, John Carpenter... Alien series, The Thing(1982)...

Any number of games and such each having one or two scenes or more that inspired me in some way... (and when I say inspire, I mean I was deeply affected for a number of days... that;s how I am when inspiration hits)

And also... Mythology. I must thank the Scandinavians for their brilliant epics of gods, giants, runes, and all manner of the weird...

But even with all of that in mind... I also have to thank a few people I've known myself...
Several members here in fact. So many of you have a great fondness of intellectual study on what others might pass off as either 'programmer oversight' or 'crappy fanfiction,' but like myself you find ways to turn things that were likely unintentional, into meaningful and enriching supplement to what is given.

I can't possibly hope to recall every name of every one that has given me some new insightful way of looking at something I already love, but I'll list anyone I can think of right now...

Tushantin, MagilsugaM, you gave me many good ideas when I was working with DBT, even though I often found myself questioning whether I liked the direction others were going. Regardless of that, you always had something new to say. Even when your idea was nothing like mine, you provided a necessary tangent for my mind.

I can say similar about many of you, Boo, utunnels, Maggiekarp... You all debate some very interesting things and come up with great possibilities that in turn give me some of my favorite ideas, or even better, reinforce some of the ideas I would have otherwise had no way to justify even to myself. Chrono'99, V_translanka, and I must mention Zeality...

Zeality if for no other reason than contributing to Salt for the Dead Sea... It has so much great information, so many things for me to think about...there are so many things in Cross that even now I don't understand, but with the information in there and in the other analysis pages... I am not even close to being versed enough to not get any more inspiration from the series... Sometimes even reading the same line a second time, I get a new idea from it... Maybe fandom related... and sometimes not.

Another I can only remember the avatar of... being back now, I realize I was gone for far too long... Who was it that had the planet in a bowler hat? Maybe someone I mentioned already... but in either case, I remember that hat for the shear number of insightful comments I read from it... So many new ideas... So many old ideas dispelled... so many reimagined...

Not Compendium members... but they deserve my mention... and my praise... my parents. I would not be here without them, and more importantly, I would not be who I am had they not been my caretakers. They contributed largely to my intellectual interests, humor, aspirations in art, my ability to see the world realistically when I must... and further... I actually get along with them well. I like being around my parents... and I think that alone is something worthy of respect in this world where you can throw a stone into a crowd and hit someone who hated their parents. They didn't make me who I am... but they did a lot to add to it.

Faustwolf... You get a mention here too. I've had so many conversations with you about varying ideas and inspirations... many from my point of view anyway... I'm not sure how you see me, but I certainly see you as someone I can trust to be involved in something I would find interesting. Were it not for you, I would not be here in the Compendium... I would not have discovered one of my favorite hobbies, and I would not have played Valkyrie Profile, a game that gives me great inspiration constantly.

Lastly... My bro, White, who is the only man I will ever use the word 'bro' for... He's not always giving me the greatest ideas... But he is always there to develop them when I have them, and he's brought me out of dark places I'd never like to go again. And he's the only friend I can rely on for human contact on a regular basis... He simply will not allow me to completely withdraw from humanity...for that I am grateful.

That's a lot of names, and not really a lot of reasons to go with it, but trust me when I say, that the number of things that influence me on a daily basis... has not even been approached with this. I haven't listed any of the professors or programmers that  helped me to be who I am and do what I do...well... 'til now.

To everyone listed here, and those who are not... I thank you; all of you.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 08:10:47 am by Satoh »

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 11:17:06 am »
Woohoo, Satoh's back! Welcome home, buddy! (And here we thought you must have been kidnapped by aliens, or were probably waging an inter-galactic battle against the Andromedian Sentient Broccoli's, all with heroic swaggers!)

It's quite heartwarming to read that kinda post from an old member, especially when we recount of all the creativity we put into a pool together to build something absolutely fantastic. Though I bet that, since those days long gone, we've become better artists and storytellers (tenfold, in fact!) -- Faust, Thought, Boo, me, and all the rest. When we do find time from our dream-wakening, I bet we could build something fantastic yet again -- only ten-times better this time!  8)

As for my influences, I'll post eventually after I've finished this assignment I have at hand. (I'll probably do so with pictures too!)

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 01:58:24 pm »
One of my biggest influences is Hayao Miyazaki. He has such a way for crafting beautiful stories. It's amazing how his protagonists can be the farthest thing from me and yet I become empathetically tied to them. Take, for instance, My Neighbor Totoro - the two leads are a six-year-old and a four-year-old whose mother is sick in a tuberculosis home. Somehow Miyazaki makes me care and live through these two children and every time I see I am just in awe.

As I'm beginning to shape my future I find myself wanting to emulate, on some small level, Miyazaki.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 04:21:53 pm »
First, welcome back, Satoh! Glad to see you again.
Also, if by "planet with a bowler hat" you mean this:

That was me. If not, then not. Though if so, let me just say that it is awesome to be remembered for an avatar icon thingy.

Secondly, I've been meaning to respond to this for quiet some time, so here it goes.

The first batch of influences didn't so much influence my art (at least, consciously) as they influenced my desire to create art. So I'll start with them. First was the 1988 TMNT cartoon: the got me into story telling (rather than other cartoons, which got me into reenacting fight scenes). Then there was Jean Craighead George (author of My Side of the Mountain), who got me started on reading voraciously. Unfortunately, I didn't develop a love of research from this, though really I should have. Next up is John Bibee, a "Christian" YA author who wrote the Spirit Flyer series. It was here that I started actually thinking seriously about writing as a career. I started writing... not exactly fan fiction, but close enough that the difference isn't important enough to establish. Then there was Megaman X. I love the reploid background, and that general storyline is what has kept me playing the X series, and then the Zero series (and thus not so much the ZX series). This really started my interest in stories about "becoming human." Or maybe I really owe this to Star Trek, and the character of Data. Basically, for several years, NONE of my main characters in fiction were "normal" humans. That is, robots, clones, homunculus', or at the very least humans who were temporally displaced from their native time and thus had to learn how to be a different sort of human. This also got me writing "original" stories. Not exactly good ones, but ones that weren't just vaguely disguised fan fiction.

The second batch are those artists or pieces of art that I think have directly influenced how I produce my own art.

First up would undoubtedly be C.S. Lewis. I generally find his works to have a pleasant conversational tone. Almost like he's telling them to you over after dinner drinks, by a fireplace. Ever since, I've strived for a similar feel. Of course, my style itself has become far more formal over the years, moving away from the exact same sort of tone, but the idea of a personal narrator has stuck around. My narrator rarely will speak directly to the reader anymore, but sometimes you can tell he's there, with a smirk so faint you're not sure if it's your imagination or not.

Next up would be Tolkien, who is second largely because, hey, he's Tolkien. If someone is writing fantasy and they say he hasn't influenced their art, then that person is lying. The problem, of course, is that his influence is so ubiquitous that it might not take the obvious route, and in any form one might not be aware of it. The influence I am most cognizant of, though, comes from the Silmarillion. I can’t say I was a fan of Greek mythologies, at least as they were taught in school, but Tolkien got me looking into other mythologies, ones that weren’t so lame. Gods walking among men, epic heroes, fate, etc, all pop up from time to time in my works, but even when they don’t, I still try to keep in mind that though different in form, modern tales and ancient myths fulfill a similar mental desire, and I try to craft my works accordingly.

I can’t go further without mentioning the ineffable Brandon Sanderson. He’s the guy who is finishing the Wheel of Time series, although I’ve become more of a fan of his original works than Jordan’s. Sanderson is really the one who got me writing seriously again. But, as for his artistic influence, that has largely come in the realm of world building. When I wrote science fiction, it tended to be soft science fiction, and fantasy was even softer still. Sanderson, though, has really gotten me asking how the various fantastical elements truly would influence the development of a world. Even his magic systems feel like there is “real” science behind it. I have a long way to go, but he’s definitely made me take a turn for intentional realism.

I’ll also mention Miyazaki. It was really from him that I learned that you don’t need villains or an “epic” story to have something entirely enthralling and entertaining. His works have also moved me towards the possibility of more “rural” stories. That isn’t really the right word, but it seems closest. His movies create world with very distinctive feel, and that is just the best word I can come up with for what that feel is, even though a number of his stories take place in cities.

Do I even need to mention Dr. Who, or can we take that as a given? Throughout school I always heard that you need complex characters, flawed characters, real characters, etc. Doctor Who, however, taught be that being simply awesome will get you by. This has the old style of heroes: people doing right because it’s right, people who are competent and win, etc etc. And, of course, it taught that you don’t need to be a warrior to win.

I could go into more, but I think I’ll leave it at that, as those seem like the biggest ones.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 05:16:13 am »
I know I promised a full-fledged post for this thread, but that may not arrive until the end of my exams. That's because what influenced me were countless big and little things that are too innumerable for me to mention (don't blame me, the world is so huge and generous that it's been cradling me and teasing me into perfection, wherein I find both solace and discomfort, just so I can one day grow up to be an ideal human being). For now, I'll leave this here.

I remember that, as a child, I used to love comic books very much and went hungry for lunch / breakfast hours just to save up enough money to buy "Gotham comics" from a hawker selling books at the pavement nearby. He did not necessarily have every kind of comic in publication, nor was I old enough to know where else to buy or venture far on my own, so I simply satisfied myself with what I got (even now I have them collected and secured in my bookshelf). Gotham Comics consisted of many DC, Marvel and Cartoon Network comics that almost always amused me with every kind of entertainment that fiction could provide. I also remember that my Godmother from Kolkatta donated her son's old "Amar Chitra Katha" comics, based on non-fiction literature, which piqued my interest in historical events.

But that drove my uncle and parents to the point of annoyance (not that my uncle was that bad, since he loved playing video games with us), especially since I was from a poorer class and father couldn't afford buying me toys, video games or comics (even at the age where "Sega" and "Super Famicom" ruled, it took a lot of great deal of effort for dad to afford buying me an NES console from bootlegged Chinese markets; that's the only video game console I ever had in my life). Since uncle has been through his life of hardships, having his own dreams crushed under the weight of responsibility, he told me to "stop buying those comic books, and read newspapers instead; newspapers are a 100 times cheaper, and it will help develop my reading comprehension, making me better educated."

He was only partially correct (newspapers DID help forge my worldview, but only to an extent), because it was comic books that eventually helped me overcome my dyslexia. That, and comic books also helped me get more passionate about art and story-telling (even so far as to get me interested in History). If it wasn't for comic books, I may have become one of those passion-less illiterate sandwich sellers at the streets, which makes me glad that my father tolerated my childhood whims sufficiently.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 06:37:48 am »
My roots may be genetic, but we must seek step by step. Let's ask where the King's house is, before asking where the King might be. Environment first.

Before I became a fantasy and mystery-thriller writer, I wrote poetry; before poetry, I wrote military and warfare stories. And before even THAT I wrote... strangely... Super Hero stories (i.e. before I discovered who "real heroes" actually are). My roots seem to have taken foundation in the land of dreams, where the world was a playground to me. I curiously dabbled in things unknown to me, and even the strangest and dumbest things seemed "fun". I began drawing and coloring, just as any child (and often even in the middle of class lectures, which got me severe scoldings and beatings), and regularly tuned into "PappyLand" so the old fella would teach how to draw outta doodles (and then there was "Beakman's World" that got me interested in intense Science, but that's another story). The books that I tapped into were those of Noddy, Oswald, and such, even Hiedi (and I constantly dreamed about going to the Alps one day). Old Cartoons at Cartoon Network, like Flintstones, were entertaining, but it wasn't until the launch of "Power Zone" that I truly felt at home -- the two hours "zone" featured special action series, such as Centurions*, G.I.Joe (which arrived late), Swat Kats**, and Ninja Robots***. I became upset when Power Zone was gone,  so I went back to my comic books and video games. (It was at one point I saw on my friend's pencil case an artwork of DragonBall Z, with Goku and Vegeta fighting; I never heard the name before, but I instantly knew I wanted to see that show badly, just because Vegeta looked like a ninja who could ride giant robots.)

I remember that, as a child, I used to love comic books very much and went hungry for lunch / breakfast hours just to save up enough money to buy "Gotham comics" from a hawker selling books at the pavement nearby. He did not necessarily have every kind of comic in publication, nor was I old enough to know where else to buy or venture far on my own, so I simply satisfied myself with what I got (even now I have them collected and secured in my bookshelf). Gotham Comics consisted of many DC, Marvel and Cartoon Network comics that almost always amused me with every kind of entertainment that fiction could provide. (I also remember that my Godmother from Kolkatta donated her son's old "Amar Chitra Katha" comics, based on non-fiction literature, which piqued my interest in historical events. Again, another storyp)

But that drove my uncle and parents to the point of annoyance (not that my uncle was that bad, since he loved playing video games with us), especially since I was from a poorer class and father couldn't afford buying me toys, video games or comics (even at the age where "Sega" and "Super Famicom" ruled, it took a lot of great deal of effort for dad to afford buying me an NES console from bootlegged Chinese markets; that's the only video game console I ever had in my life). Since uncle has been through his life of hardships, having his own dreams crushed under the weight of responsibility, he told me to "stop buying those comic books, and read newspapers instead; newspapers are a 100 times cheaper, and it will help develop my reading comprehension, making me better educated."

But soon, AXN began showing more Anime, such as Grander Musashi****, Yamata Takeru*****, Fatal Fury, etc. until that too was gone. Then "Curious Play / Fushigi Yuugi" appeared -- an amalgam of Fantasy, Erotic Romance, and Action that would guy and girl scream in delight -- and eventually disappeared again. I remember trying to draw the characters, and realized how difficult these professional animations were made. But then, even better, Cartoon Network's Power Zone was back with another name, Toonami, featuring something that probably shocked me out of my life: DragonBall Z. I instantly recalled that artwork on my friend's pencil case, and was eager to watch the show, even if it meant late at nights (and dad hated me for it). As the shows aired, it was Conan (whom I envied for being rich, having a computer and knowing how to use it, and having plenty of toys) who eventually printed a "Super Saiyan Goku" picture for me that I could gawk at all day (I can't seem to find that picture on the net anymore). When I wasn't satisfied with just one, I decided to learn how to use a computer and annoyed Conan until he did. Since then, I constantly played DBZ flashgames, collected printable cards and pictures, which probably burned a hole in my father's pockets.

Knowing that he wouldn't be able to afford them anymore, I began "tracing" the prints onto papers. Simply the "want" of these pictures forced me analyze the way such art was constructed and redo them in different poses. When they turned horrible, I went back to my "Justice League of America" comic book and traced Superman instead (even now those analysis and practice reflect in my current drawings). Eventually, I began making "better" drawings and poses than I could before. But drawings weren't enough for me. I wanted MOAR STORIES, but could neither afford more comics nor did any channel show any interesting show. Eventualy, I was able to purchase a cheaper one, and noticed an ad for a contest: "Create your very own Superhero, and win a Robotic Dog!" It was then that I realized that my imagination was good enough to construct more interesting characters than what the DC roster consists of, and arrogantly I began creating my very first story. The aim was, "something better than Superman", and my newfound "art" powers could help me accomplish just that.

Despite my attempts at creating my very first story, my parents forbid me from submitting my art and fiction. I became disheartened when I noticed that, in the next issue, all the submissions from across India were so horrible in comparison that I COULD HAVE WON! That robotic dog was a fleeting dream, and I found myself in the verge of failure. But I did not exactly hate my ability to dream and create; far from it! I did know, however, that this newfound passion I had would bring more interesting phases in my life. (And it did!)

So what was that "more awesome than Superman" superhero that I ended up creating? It wasn't just "one", of course, but a whole roster that could have me build my very own Justice League / Avengers team! But I think I'll reveal that some other time. ;)

(Hint: Unfortunately, it did not feature any character that could turn into, or ride, a FREAKING ARMORED BIKE!)

-------------------

* Interesting fact: Centurions affected me so much at childhood that often bought, with hard earned money, some G.I.Joe action figures and demanded the store-owner to give me "jet packs" for them, often even pleading dad to buy me vehicles for them too (he couldn't, since he hadn't the money, but Grandpa did buy me one... just before he passed away). I even used to go downstairs to play with my friends, wearing cardboard boxes around me, pretending to be Jake Rockwell who can turn into a FEAKING ARMORED BIKE! And people thought I was crazy (except Charles, who fashioned himself as the ninja "Storm Shadow" by wearing his mother's sash around his head).

** This used to be both mine and Hussain's favorite. For some reason, we both wished we were born as T-Bone and Razor, or at least had the weapons they did. This probably also influenced me to take up science, just so I can take garbage (like T-Bone and Razor did) and turn them into awesome weapons and utilities. Probably even a FREAKING ARMORED BIKE!

*** Being my very first "anime", this probably broke the "Crazy Meter", because I fantasized so much about being a Ninja and having a Robot that it never occured to me that Ninjas having Robots would probably make the universe explode in awesomeness. At the age of 7, after having conquered my dyslexia, I began to get the highest untouched grades in class that my teachers and peers thought I was a genius incarnate... until I told them that I go for top-secret Ninja training at China-Town, and being one of the last remaining Ninjas of my clan I needed to be THE BEST so I can save the universe from evil Robots, while I ride a FREAKING ARMORED BIKE!

**** Crazy overload, with kids battling each other with a fishing rod, on the quest to catch a Legendary Fishes with Legendary Lures that could make them Legendary Fishermen. And you know what? I loved it!

***** With Ninja Robots gone, only this anime could ever hope to console me.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 06:46:07 am by tushantin »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 08:15:38 pm »
I should add Tolkein. I never realized how old he was until today. He died nearly 50 years ago, and look at how much he changed the face of high fantasy (not all facets for the best). That being said, he knows how to craft an entire realm and pull you into it. That takes some talent right there!