Author Topic: Does Chrono have to die before CC?  (Read 1745 times)

aiox82

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Does Chrono have to die before CC?
« on: October 13, 2015, 10:01:01 pm »
So, according to what I read about the Apocalypse theory, the way the dimensions split before CC, Chrono can only save the world from Lavos in one dimension at a time (Another world) thus Home world's co-existence prevents him from defeating Lavos in that dimension leading to the apocalypse in the Dead Sea. But, this only works if Chrono died before the dimensions were split by Kid saving Serge. Otherwise, he could just hop on the Epoch and do it again. Is that right? Does Chrono have to die, presumably in the fall of Guardia?

Also, if this is true, is the re-unification of the dimensions solve this and 'resurrect' Chrono?

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
Re: Does Chrono have to die before CC?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 11:24:30 pm »
Not quite. Crono and company can't save Home World because it is in a sense another dimension. The Epoch can't cross that barrier.

And no, the reunification wouldn't revive Crono since his death being before the split, it remains unchanged. Since Home World doesn't exist pre-1010 AD, in a space-time sense.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 11:26:59 pm by Acacia Sgt »

aiox82

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 11:45:23 pm »
OK, but couldn't Home World have its own Epoch? As it (assuming it was left in 1000AD after CT) may have existed before the split?

Theoretically, if the Epoch was left sitting at Lucca's house in 1010AD when the split happened, wouldn't it exist in both dimensions? And thus have the 'original' able to travel to the future of Another and the 'new' able to travel to the future of Home? But again, only if Chrono were alive to take it to the future (although Lucca and Marle could take it there too).

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 12:12:28 am »
Well, they'd first need to know that the action of they beating Lavos became undone. But the thing is that there's no way for them to know. I don't think even Belthazar could've even if he had wanted to since he too is just bound to Another World, and doesn't have a Home World counterpart I think.

While he did had contact with Lucca since she helped design the Prometheus Circuit, I think that was post-split anyway.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 02:03:31 am »
The Gates in Chrono Trigger were sealed as well shortly after Lavos's defeat. I believe the original Epoch was capable of traveling only to these eras, whereas Belthasar's Neo Epoch could, presumably, travel to any time. Crono and his friends may simply be unable to time travel after the events in Trigger.

Acacia Sgt: I don't think Lucca helped design the Prometheus Circuit. Chronopolis was nigh inaccessible after FATE's terraforming; I imagine even Belthasar was unable to return to it. Robo was likely present as the Prometheus Circuit in Chronopolis all along, as a fail safe. Lynx probably targeted Lucca specifically due to her and Robo's past relationship. It's hard to say though, since there's not much to go off of.

aiox82

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 10:35:38 pm »
OK, so we're back to the stance that Chrono may or may not be dead and there's no way to know for sure. I can live with that. Thanks guys!

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 05:55:42 am »
The canon is completely messed up on this subject.  If the creators had any idea how to address the Crono question, it was left on the cutting room floor due to budget and time constraints.  Personally, I am of the opinion that Miguel was originally supposed to be Crono, and that Leena was the daughter of him and Marle.  (There is indirect evidence of this.  Leena and Una don't look anything alike, so it's possible that Leena was adopted after Miguel's disappearance.  Leena's physical appearance also lends some credence to Crono and Marle being her parents, and her age - 16 - would be about right for someone born not long before the fall of Guardia in 1005.)   Obviously, this would have made for a much larger story, and one that was less Serge-centric.  The idea might have been rejected on that ground alone.  Kato wouldn't have wanted people to think that Leena was the story's protagonist just because she was a child of the previous story's protagonist.

There's no reason a story can't have multiple protagonists, but that was probably asking too much for a PS1-era game.  We can only wonder what might have happened had Chrono Cross had a bigger budget.  (Hint to Square-Enix: Remake Chrono Cross!)

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 01:48:51 pm »
Lennis, maybe we can start a new thread to talk about Crono's supposed identity in Chrono Cross? I like to toy with the idea that Zoah was originally planned to be Crono. I'm sure it's been discussed before, but it could be fun to compare our reasonings and consider how the story would've played out either way.

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 09:41:41 pm »
I think a thread on this topic would be welcome, just to see how the community responds.  My idea is a work in progress, so maybe a more formalized discussion will help you and me develop our ideas to something a little more definitive.

That said, it is difficult for me to picture Zoah as Crono - even as an unused concept.  Yeah, he wears a mask and doesn't talk much, but Zoah is huge and fights like a gladiator/barbarian.  His behavior in the game also lends nothing to the idea that he may be Crono in disguise.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 02:56:00 am »
Oh yeah, I remember reading about that.

Although wasn't the only thing specified was about him being a prince? Granted, Guardia is the only likely candidate, but even so I don't think it was referring to Crono...