Author Topic: Chrono Trigger's 20th Anniversary  (Read 862 times)

xlr8

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Chrono Trigger's 20th Anniversary
« on: April 25, 2012, 12:45:26 am »
Okay, so maybe it's almost 3 years too early to celebrate this (March 11th, 2015), but it is the right time to think about starting a large scale awareness tribute. Something that would help immortalize the franchise. With the help of everyone here, maybe we can change the fate of this game. From a cult favorite, to a timeless classic recognized by all.

Obviously ROM hacking is out of the question as it'll get shut down, but I'm open to suggestions. My personal idea is to make a full length animated fan film on the main plot. I believe fan films have some legal protection if it is non-profit, under the guise of free advertisement for SE's product (can't sue for damages if it promotes sales, unlike a knockoff game).

Ideally, a way to contact SE to see if this could be official event would be nice, but that is unlikely unless someone can find an interested SE sponsor. I have some ideas for the film if there is enough interest, but would like to hear what the community thinks.

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger's 20th Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 07:17:47 am »
Well, personally, I'm hoping to have a substantial amount of my novel project done by then.  That's all I can really do to support the franchise.

A fan-film would be very ambitious, both technically and legally.  If we used Toriama's art style in the production, it could be a problem.  Fan art is one thing, but a full-blown film would probably get the attention of Mr. Toriama, and not in a good way.

Sadly, I don't see Square/Enix supporting any fan-based endeavor, at least not with the current leadership.  They will only listen to industry professionals, whether their ideas are good or bad.  It's a shame, because the fans have a lot of great ideas that are just waiting to be exploited.

xlr8

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 10:07:40 am »
A fan film would be ambitious, hence why starting earlier the better. I doubt Mr. Toriyama himself would even care for several reasons. On the top of my head, he's retired (not 100% confirmed), Japanese authors practically endorse this stuff (look up doujinshi), and using a particular art style isn't patented (see Fairy Tail vs One Piece).

That aside, fan films are stepping on a gray area. However, I mentioned in my earlier post, are legal in several angles. We aren't making a rival game that is piggybacking off the success of CT. I'm interested in making a film promoting the sales of CT (this might be enough for SE to either not care, or even support it). I don't see Capcom trying to shut down megamanfilm dot com even though the movie is available for free since 2010 (they are even selling DVDs lol). Sega isn't trying too hard to block the Sonic film coming out. Heck, the original voice actor signed up to be Sonic...

I am looking for talented individuals that would humor me on this anniversary project (again it could not be a fan film, that's just my idea which I favor greatly). In particular: scenario writers, musicians, and machinima experts.

Schala Zeal

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • 7th Elemental Innate, and vtuber
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 07:35:42 pm »
Irkel voiced a fan movie character? Wow

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 12:09:19 am »
The problem isn't what Toriyama thinks about the project, unfortunately. Companies like Square Enix and Bethesda and several others will shut down fan made content because of intellectual property laws. Basically if they let someone run wild with their IP (even a non profit, fanmade-with-love project) then they wouldn't be able to sue someone later if they infringed on the IP with malicious intent. What it comes down to is consistent behavior from a legal point of view. So what i'd recommend is that you ask anyone interested in making such a film to PM you if you wish to see such a thing come to fruition. The more ambitious the project, and the more known by the general public, the more likely it will be shut down so stay under wraps and you might be able to do it. As they say, once it's out, it's out.

xlr8

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 01:11:29 am »
I totally agree Mr. Bekkler. I would like to get this jump started somehow and if it gets blocked, it gets blocked. Nevertheless, I would like to get official backing for the event if that was possible. Let's not play devil's advocate on this issue though. There are authorized fan films. If anybody have connections or solid contact info, I'm interested in knowing more. No more on negative implications please.

Preliminary script for the movie is about 1/3 finish, but would like to form a crew. Haven't had any PMs for volunteers yet, but I'm interested in voice acting and machinima animators for now.

xlr8

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 01:21:47 am »
Irkel voiced a fan movie character? Wow

It's still being made. If you google sonic fan film, you should be able to find 3 different trailers. One of them is voiced by Jaleel White, or "Urkel" as you know him.