Author Topic: Memories of Green (A Communal Chrono Trigger Memory Jar)  (Read 3349 times)

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Memories of Green (A Communal Chrono Trigger Memory Jar)
« on: April 27, 2012, 11:03:37 pm »
I've been wanting to create this post for some time now. I've scoured the old boards and, although I'm sure there is a thread like this one, I couldn't find one in a reasonable amount of time and decided to create my own. Every spring I begin to get that itch to play Chrono Trigger. I first played it in the Spring of 1996 and ever since I get this nostalgic feeling as the weather warms and my heart begins to thaw from the winter. I have so many fond memories - memories that are fond, yet bittersweet - that remind me just how far away my childhood is. I've been wanting to share my own memories of Chrono Trigger for some time, and I'm sure many of you have memories that you'd like to contribute to the community. With no further adieu, I begin my own tale...

What is a "Chrono Trigger?"
I first heard about Chrono Trigger in the winter of 1995. I was 11 years old any my best friend David had been playing the game with his older cousin. We sort of looked up to this older cousin, who was an RPG aficionado. I had never played an RPG before, so David's descriptions of the game were far from my own mental image. I remember riding in the back of his parents mini-van as he described the events of 2300AD: "And you find this robot named Robo, and the future is all dark with acid rain and all the people live in these giant, rusty domes. When you find Robo he's all messed up but you fix him and he joins your team." I couldn't comprehend a 3/4 point of view, so I was picturing a Castevania/Mega Man-esque sidescroller with a more in-depth storyline. The more David told me about this game the more my interest grew.

Pregame
In early 1996 my mother and I were at the local Giant Eagle grocery store. They had a small movie rental section, and lo and behold! There I saw Chrono Trigger for the first time. The game looked amazing and, seeing that I had just borrowed a friends SNES, I begged my mom to rent it for me. It was a Thursday, and the rental was for 5 days. I begged my mom to let me play it that night but she refused, telling me only that I could play it on the weekend.

That Friday after school my sister was cheering at a basketball game. I begged my parents to let me stay home and finally start playing Chrono Trigger, and finally they relented. I fixed myself a pizza pocket-like snack (my school sold these half-circle pockets of thin dough full of diced pepperoni and cheese, it was similar to a pizza pocket but much greasier; I loved them and my mom found them at a local super market, but they only came in bulk bags of about 20 or 30), and sat down to play the game.

Day One
The introductory scene blew my mind. The sound of the gulls and the ocean, and Morning Sunlight gave my a strange feeling that even now returns (in nostalgic form) when I hear it. It was a mystical melody, and I played that game well into the night. By the time the night had ended, I had spent hours on end in the Millennial Fair and has gotten to the Crono's imprisonment. The next day I played again and, upon reaching the 2300AD, I found myself frustrated by my own inability to catch the darned rat. I grew frustrated and put the game down for a few hours. When I came back I easily caught the rat, but found myself once again stumped: the Guardian in 2300AD was the first boss I was unable to tackle. It took me dozens of tries before I finally defeated him. I remember both Lucca and Marle were dead and Crono was on the verge of death the time I finally won.

Day Two
By Saturday evening I was in the Factory and it took hours. Between the XABY puzzle (which pushed the limits of my logic) and the conveyor belt/moving barrels puzzle, I was exhausted and sick of the Future by the time I reached the boss battle against the R-Series brethren. I then continued on and reached the End of Time. There I remember having to go around the room three times and I was completely incapable of doing it correctly. An hour or more passed, and even after my mom confirmed my understanding of clockwise and counter-clockwise, I couldn't do it. I was on the verge of tears and gave up for the night.

Day Three
I figured it out the following morning. It was Sunday. I don't remember how far I got, but I remember that my mom made me go to bed because it was late, and I left the game on because I couldn't get to a save point. The next morning was  Monday, as before I left for school my mom was helping my make my bed and she nearly kicked my SNES. I asked her to be careful. She ended up accidentally tossing a pillow onto the SNES, which caused the cartridge to become dislodged. It not only reset the game, but I lost my save file. I was devastated (and a bit mad at my mom).

From Then On...
She let me re-rent it time and time again. Finally, that summer, she surprised me. The Giant Eagle supermarket was going out of business, and she bought Chrono Trigger from the store for a measly $5. The game was used but the box was in mint condition and sealed in plastic wrap (although the instruction booklet was quite messy with wear and tear). I returned from a week-long summer camp to this wonderful surprise.

Best. Mom. Ever.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 11:14:02 pm by Boo the Gentleman Caller »

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
Re: Memories of Green (A Communal Chrono Trigger Memory Jar)
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 08:00:38 am »
Do you have a mini shrine for the cartridge your mother bought for you?  =)

This entire post made me smile.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 09:53:18 am »
A few years back I lent the cartridge to a friend and he got robbed. I still have the box, though. :)

I want to hear other people's stories!

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 10:40:42 am »
I wrote a really long post about my first experience with the game here.

TheMage

• Artist of Termina
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Dreaming through time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 07:59:33 pm »
Oh wow this brings me back :D I played Chrono Trigger in the summer. I remember long warm nights playing Chrono Trigger particularly turning all the lights on when I played Magus's Castle's portion. The warm weather also gives me an itching to play Chrono Trigger and I usually do.

What is a "Chrono Trigger?"

I was rifling through my parents collection of SNES games when I was twelve so this was roughly 2002. They never played the super nintendo anymore but I did. I had my favorites which were primarily Final Fantasy III (VI) and Breath of Fire and ocassionally Lufia and Super Mario. Chrono Trigger was in the pile but for some reason I was never particularly interested in it. I looked at it a few times but I never bothered to even load it up. I didn't know what Chrono was and Trigger made me think it was some fighting game.

Pregame

Me and my best friend Candace at the time were looking for a game to play. She was sick of Final Fantasy VI and she picked up Chrono Trigger and waved it around. This was in the summer of 2002. "What's this? Let's play this!"She said. I remember actually wrinkling my nose at it. I had no desire to play the game but I agreed and she loaded it up.

Day One

I watched with little interest as she loaded the game up. She re-loaded it because she wanted to see the 'movie' portion in the beginning which was just a bunch of cut scenes. Those caught my attention and I watched with curiousity as she started playing. Since Chrono Trigger wasn't a two player game I spent the bulk of day one watching her play chrono trigger and I found I really really enjoyed it. I fell in love with the Millenial fair all the different characters, and the time traveling. She went home and we had saved Chrono, Lucca, and Frog in the cathedral right before the big battle. (I still remember her character names, they were sickeningly cute, Chrono was Candy, Marle was Mandy, Frog was Dandy and Lucca was Sandy - shudder) Once she left I made my own game and got myself as far as she did.

Day two
We spent all day playing Chrono Trigger. It was summer vacation we had no where to be and we had enough chips, pretzles and soda to last us the day. I got more play time because Candace always tossed the controller to me when she couldn't beat a particular monster or boss. We spent the whole game severely under leveled. It took us about an hour to Kill Yakra because she just wasn't leveled high enough. She didn't like to fight so after that I was in charge of all battles and she ran around and talked to different characters. We made it to where Chrono was locked up and cried in dismay that he was found guilty. Candace wouldn't have it and made a new game so Chrono would be innocent this time she wouldn't steal the old man's lunch or try to sell the pendant. I remember being frusterated when Crono was locked up either way! We escaped and free'd fritz and joined with Lucca at the end. I truly didn't know if you waited Lucca would save you either way. I remember bursting into a fit of giggles when The chancellor does the dramatic shocked face when the trio disappears through the gate to 2300 A.D. Me and Candace had been in a fit of giggles.We made it to the guardian at the end of the second day.

From then on
We spent at least a good month of the summer trying to beat the game. I had never actually had the patience or skill to beat a game, but Chrono Trigger was the first game I beat. Even though my first playthrough was really watching my friend play I did all the fighting. It was a mutual effort and if it sounds boring, it wasnt. Every suprise every puzzle me and Candace worked together and enjoyed. Once I beat lavos for her and she was done with it I played it again doing it 'right'. I didn't kill Magus, I did all the side quests like saving Fiona's forest and I beat it through the black omen verses the bucket. and I fell even more in love with the game. I loved Magus's castle, Zeal, and the black omen and everything in between. I was enchanted by the time traveling and spent many summer nights playing the game until the am. It became my new favorite game, and still is. When I think of Chrono Trigger I remember warm summer days, staying up late, and my old friend Candace. Chrono Trigger brings fond childhood memories and every summer I still play it.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 08:06:49 pm by TheMage »

Synchronization

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 08:00:51 pm »
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 07:16:11 pm by Synchronization »

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 09:35:07 pm »
My Chrono journey began with Chrono Cross, not Trigger. But you probably all know that by now. Originally a Christmas gift (I think, sometime around 2001/2002), I wasn't that interested with it in the beginning. My brother and I got as far as Viper Manor. It wouldn't be until a few years later that I decided to pick it up again. Even then, I didn't complete it until ... 2007-2009 (I can't even remember). But man, I played it religiously. In a way, I created the environments that my memories of the game reside in; only on rainy days or particularly wonderful summer days would I take out those discs.

One of my fondest memories of Chrono Cross occurred on a day of house cleaning, many years ago. The windows were open, the Sun was bright, and I had left the game running while cleaning, letting the song "Voyage" keep me entertained for hours...

Another powerful memory I hold close is that of my first visit to Chronopolis. That place hit me like a brick. It scared the shit out of me, and not in a spiders-and-snakes or ghosts-and-goblins kind of way. The whole depth behind it ... not to mention Lynx being Serge's old man (the only spoiler I ever remember being privy to, which I think actually helped me). Chronopolis had a deep impact on me.

Then I learned of Chrono Trigger, the Chrono Compendium, the whole shebang. Didn't get to play Trigger until 2008, when the DS port was released. Speaking of which, do you know how hard it is coach someone playing the SNES Chrono Trigger when all you know is the jargon of the DS version?

Me: "Make sure to buy Potions and Athenian Waters."
Brother: "... You mean Tonics and Revives?"

:o

chi_z

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • And you thought the dalton idea was ludicrous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 12:33:25 am »
for me I saw chrono cross at a local rental store. got it, noticed they had the ps1 version of CT. got that much later. I had a similar time with it as you. Hours at the fair, troubles with the rat and that damn boss. I had just gotten past the boss before I quit IIRC. Dont remember where I got to the day after, but damn I didnt play it until the mid 2000s....

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 12:06:01 am »
Motherflippin' thread revival.

Speaking of motherflippin', the word takes me back to early 2008. I'll just leave this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FArZxLj6DLk

But in all seriousness, I want to revive this and bask in the nostalgia of your youth! Tell me your stories!

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 04:50:12 am »
Chrono Trigger was the second RPG I played, after Super Mario RPG. I remember being shocked at how much the damage shifted between attacks, and I never quite got the Timed Hits right...

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2018, 08:53:55 am »
I remember being shocked at how much the damage shifted between attacks, and I never quite got the Timed Hits right...

I assume this is about Mario RPG! Geno is still one of my favorite video game characters... That may or not be somewhat influenced by his ability to do 9999 on a timed hit with Geno Whirl. Bahaha!

Booster, meanwhile, is one of my least favorite characters. I always hated him and his pesky tower.

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • I didn’t “pick up” anything! It’s common sense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2018, 01:18:46 pm »
I also loved Mario RPG! That's a fun game. He he!

Now my early memories of Chrono Trigger aren't as clear as it is for some of you. I know I've mentioned this before but I had a really crappy childhood so in all honesty, I blocked a lot out. But I can tell you what I do remember!

So my best friend in highschool, Ingrid, we rented it after watching my brother play some of it as he borrowed it from a friend of his. We also played it in the summer. One thing I remember very distinctly is staying up super late, playing Chrono Trigger and and eating chips and salsa while we played. (To this day, I LOVE chips and salsa!) Also, and I know this is funny, so laugh at me if you want... ha ha... I was the more girly girl so I always wanted to name Crono after my crush and Marle after me. LOL!! There is no way I could be the only one who did this. LOL

Sadly, nobody ever bought the game for me. I didn't get my first copy until I was 28! I've since made up for lost time though!

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2018, 01:46:10 pm »
Also, and I know this is funny, so laugh at me if you want... ha ha... I was the more girly girl so I always wanted to name Crono after my crush and Marle after me. LOL!! There is no way I could be the only one who did this. LOL

I know a lot of people who did this for a lot of RPGs. :)

The first time I played Chrono Trigger, I kept everyone's name the same except for Robo, who I named Iron.

In all subsequent playthroughs:
Magus = Janus (my head canon says that once the cat is out of the bag, he sheds the Magus title and reverts to Janus), and
Frog = Glenn (since that's his real name).

A lot of people name Marle = Nadia, but I don't since she was traveling incognito and Marle was her traveling name. :D

I played Secret of Mana right after Chrono Trigger, and I named the lead (who is canonically named Randi) Crono, and the princess (who looks an awfully like Marle and is canonically named Purim) Marle. I named the Sprite something else entirely, which I can't remember. I also thought the sprite was a girl for years. Must've been the pink hair...?

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2018, 01:51:47 pm »
I assume this is about Mario RPG!
Only indirectly.  Mario RPG had less randomization in attack numbers than most games, so Chrono Trigger's were shockingly random to me, and being my first RPG, it set what I expected from the genre. I was trying to time hits in a few games afterwards, but they never quite worked right...

Geno is still one of my favorite video game characters... That may or not be somewhat influenced by his ability to do 9999 on a timed hit with Geno Whirl. Bahaha!
Geno was pretty awesome.

I was the more girly girl so I always wanted to name Crono after my crush and Marle after me. LOL!! There is no way I could be the only one who did this. LOL

I've done that a few times. At some point it got a little harder to find games that worked for.

Most of my name changes in Chrono Trigger have been Robo to R66-Y (or R-66Y. One of the two).

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2018, 01:55:05 pm »
Only indirectly.  Mario RPG had less randomization in attack numbers than most games, so Chrono Trigger's were shockingly random to me, and being my first RPG, it set what I expected from the genre. I was trying to time hits in a few games afterwards, but they never quite worked right...

I get that. Chrono Trigger set some weird bars for me, too. After CT, I went on to immediately play Secret of Mana, then Super Mario RPG, and then Final Fantasy VI (or at least part of it) before moving on to the PS1 era of games. When I first saw four person battles, HP limits in the 4-digit range, and enemies not on the map (aka random battles), I was floored at how backwards it was.

I still hate random battles.