Author Topic: Tom Slattery Interview  (Read 2722 times)

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Tom Slattery Interview
« on: April 26, 2012, 12:32:03 am »
Recently, RPGamer interviewed Tom Slattery, who did the localization for Chrono Trigger DS. He talked about how the translation process went for the projects he did, including Chrono Trigger.

http://www.rpgamer.com/features/insidegaming/tslatteryint.html

TheMage

• Artist of Termina
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Dreaming through time.
    • View Profile
Re: Tom Slattery Interview
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 01:21:22 pm »
There are things I would have liked to have done, like applying Frog's Elizabethan speech patterns to the rest of his time period, but I simply didn't have the time to study up on Elizabethan English and get to a place where I would feel comfortable writing in it.

Now that's interesting can you imagine if all of the middle ages spoke like Frog originally did? I don't know if i'm glad or not that they don't XD Because in SNES it totally didn't work with one person speaking like that, but if the whole time period did- hmm. Then again if I remember correctly isn't Frog supposed to be a little 'bad ass' in the japanese version or am I making that up.

chi_z

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • And you thought the dalton idea was ludicrous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 09:20:33 pm »
Yeah I'm curious as to why he thought to use elizabethan english at all, the original does not. just look at the kwhazit translation. I've heard that on the whole the CC translation is pretty accurate (hopefully) though there seems to be quite a bit wrong with the demiforce translation of Radical Dreamers, things they arbitrarily put in to tie it to the other games for some reason....

neologix

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Gate Sealer
    • View Profile
    • ATOM - Apollolux Tabular Object Management system
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 08:51:58 pm »
oh hey, apparently he's the guy who designed the new gba pixel fonts! ^_____^

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 04:09:55 pm »
Wow, so Tom Slattery did most of War of the Lions! At first I thought it was Alexander O. Smith, then I thought it was Joseph Reeder. This is a really enlightening interview.