Author Topic: Demon God?  (Read 9198 times)

Lordchander

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • I might come back one of these days...
    • View Profile
Demon God?
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2005, 10:25:35 am »
All say I if u agree that Magus is just a term meaning ruler or watever for the Mystics!

I

~LC

Legend of the Past

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Demon God?
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2005, 10:31:57 am »
Quote from: Lordchander
All say I if u agree that Magus is just a term meaning ruler or watever for the Mystics!

I

~LC

I.

jotabe1789

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Demon God?
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2005, 10:49:35 am »
I
lol

Lordchander

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
Demon God?
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2005, 10:51:04 am »
And to think we all thought that Magus was just his name! I had never given it that much of a thought before see.

~LC

jotabe1789

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Demon God?
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2005, 10:55:43 am »
Yeah, i thought he had just changed his name for something similar  :lol:

Lordchander

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
Demon God?
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2005, 10:57:15 am »
I really didnt have a clue or a reason to wonder till now.

Legend of the Past

• View Profile
Demon God?
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2005, 11:05:16 am »
I called him Magus out of habit. It's a Video Game Character, he can be called Mud for as much as I care.

Lordchander

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
Demon God?
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2005, 11:07:37 am »
As you say. If his name was always Janus i wouldn't give a damn.

~LC

DarkGizmo

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
Demon God?
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2005, 01:21:51 pm »
If the Mystics worshipped the "Demon God" then he mustn't have been a powerful god since they worship Magus later and you don't whorship a Magus after your worship a powerful Demon God...

Daniel Krispin

Demon God?
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2005, 01:38:29 pm »
I've personally called him Janus for the better part of two years, forgoing that blasted title Magus. I'm too well aware of it being a title, rather than a name and, in fact, once called him Janus Magus, ie. Janus the Sorcerer. I don't know if anyone's noticed, but often I'll just call him the Sorcerer, which is essentially like calling him Magus, only in English translation. If one really wants to be picky, though, call him Magos (Μαγος), as that is the older spelling of it. I don't, however, think it is a general title. He is THE Sorcerer, not just the lord sorcerer. That would be Anax Magos, or Basileus Magos (or something like that, I'm guessing, and I don't know the declensions for different cases), or maybe yet Domino Magus, or Rex Magus. Anyway, I usually call him Janus (Yah-nuss), save in his position as the sorcerer of the Mystics. There he is Magus (Mah-gus).

jotabe1789

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Demon God?
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2005, 09:42:23 pm »
Don't know if you were trying to put it in Greek or Latin ^_^ Basileus is just the latinization of Basileos, that is King.
My guess, to call him The Magus, would be Magus Magorum, the same way Christ was Rex Regum. Furthermore, that -orum sounds pretty magical... or maybe am i seeing too much "Bedknobs and broomsticks"? lol  :lol:

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
Demon God?
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2005, 03:21:42 am »
Lol.

Personally, I think it was a translation pun on the name. Calling him Magus is his new name, and to the player, it refers to a magician. I don't think in Chrono Trigger they had Latin... It was simply used in the english version of the game.

Daniel Krispin

Demon God?
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2005, 04:10:09 am »
Quote from: jotabe1789
Don't know if you were trying to put it in Greek or Latin ^_^ Basileus is just the latinization of Basileos, that is King.
My guess, to call him The Magus, would be Magus Magorum, the same way Christ was Rex Regum. Furthermore, that -orum sounds pretty magical... or maybe am i seeing too much "Bedknobs and broomsticks"? lol  :lol:

Both. When I used Anax, that was Greek. As was Basileus (are you sure there's an omicron there?) ... hmmm... according to my father's Liddel and Scott, which is fully reliable, it is supposed to be an upsilon there, and thus Basileus. Basileos appears to be the 'of' form, ie. 'of the king'. Anyway, you probably noticed that for the first two I used Magos, when I was speaking for Greek, and for the last two Magus, as they were Latin. I did however claim ignorance on the structure, as I truly do not know how, in either Greek or Latin, they would work together, so I just used Rex and Magus together as they were, or Domino (or is it Dominus?) and Magus.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Demon God?
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2005, 06:01:34 am »
I always saw "Demon King" as sort of a title and sort of a name used to scare the Humans. I mean, you'd think if it was strictly a title that they'd also somehow incorperate his name or something...

And also, Legend, I still don't see how you get that the Mystics were already preparing for a war we have no proof was started when Janus showed up...

Legend of the Past

• View Profile
Demon God?
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2005, 06:06:55 am »
And also, Legend, I still don't see how you get that the Mystics were already preparing for a war we have no proof was started when Janus showed up...

Why need there be proof? The Mystics were opressed, so they would obviously prepare for war. It's happaned loads of times before. Argue the possibilty of that and you'd argue the existence of a few civil wars.