Author Topic: [APRIL FOOLS] New game in the Chronoverse CONFIRMED!!! Kairos: The Fate Unwound  (Read 6872 times)

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
Re: New game in the Chronoverse CONFIRMED!!! "Kairos: The Fate Unwound"
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2012, 11:14:58 am »
Alright, now that this bagged a couple victims already...

Heh, if only because I was repeatedly reminded yesterday that today was gonna be April the 1st, otherwise I may have fallen for that.

Shinrin

• Chrono Trigger Threads of Time
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • Chrono Trigger Fan # 100
    • View Profile
    • Shinrin Cole
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2012, 02:09:24 pm »
And this is why i don't believe most of the news today. As soon as i saw this i thought, totally an April Fools day joke.

Manly Man

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Don't be a pussy. She looks legit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2012, 02:38:08 pm »
Dude. Seriously, not funny. This makes me want to hate into burning.

Lance VII

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Power to the fans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2012, 03:21:25 pm »
It IS a cool concept at the very least. :D

Schala Zeal

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • 7th Elemental Innate, and vtuber
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2012, 04:00:07 pm »
If anyone is gonna murder FW over this, think about what you're doing ... That being the fact that you'd be doing so without giving me his mad gamer skills. Honestly, you sickos...

Dunsparce

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2012, 04:35:20 pm »
Outside of the fancy feline part, there's also the fact that official sources never used the term "The Entity" like the screenshot did and the font of the words and the obvious fact that we'd get Japanese-language screenshots first.

I'm picky about the details, and I logged on for the first time in a long while just to say this.

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2012, 04:41:03 pm »
I can respect that this took a lot of work to put together, FW.

But I still hate you.

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2012, 05:36:18 pm »
I came on here knowing full well that the post was an April Fool's Day post, and I STILL got all excited for a second...

You're kind of an ass...

Epiphron

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2012, 06:34:26 pm »
Brilliant! I thoroughly enjoyed this. To me the whole thing just seemed too silly to be real, but it
contained some very interesting ideas and concepts that somehow made me want it to be
real, to the point that I ended up hoping that Kato would read this so that he could make "The Guru" a real
character in a future Chrono game. The Kairos thing, and Kato not wanting to use the Chrono name -- haha,
as if Square Enix would ever allow that to happen.

rushingwind

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2012, 08:13:19 pm »
You... YOU....

I knew it was an April Fool's Joke the moment I started reading it, but didn't want to believe it because it looked so awesome. Grrr...

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2012, 11:10:52 pm »
Haters gonna hate.  FW, I thought this was brilliant.  You're awesome.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
It was entertaining and a bit nostalgia. Unfortunately, I've kept my eye on April Fools articles all day.

My biggest complaint is that Faust is too busy with the real world for much of the Chrono community shenanigans... and yet he has time to do this?!?! BOOOO!

Just kidding, Faust. We do miss you, though.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile

Bwahahaha, nothing but the highest-quality Rickroll for my Compendium buddies! You know I love you all, right? I'm gonna leave it up another 24 hours linking to my post here to clear up any confusion, then pop the thread into General Discussion so it goes off the front page.

Yeah, all the imagery was from Chaos Rings II with just a teeny bit of doctoring. Man, you guys keep up with your mobile games! The idea started when I thought to myself, "I sooooo wish SE would put that kind of production value into a new Chrono game...wait a minute, that guy already looks like a Guru!" It all came together over the course of my spring break (to answer Boo's question, haha). My hope was everyone would know it was a joke once they read "Fancy Feline Festival," but I probably underestimate just how powerful realistic-looking screenshots can be -- I guess people see the images first, and then read through, rather than looking through a big article linearly. My bad if anyone actually got their hopes up when they saw those. The imagery sure is beautiful though! I've fallen head over heels for Yusuke Naora.

Most of the images originated on Square Enix's Chaos Rings II website, in the character section. Battle screenshots came from a video review of that game.

Here's the six tracks of "the soundtrack sampler." I'm gonna delete "TimeNinja"'s YouTube channel soon but here are the actual sources for everyone who listened to that music as dreamily as I did:

"Wills Aflame ~ The Guru Speaks" = "The Door" from Mitsuda's overlooked but totally awesome "Sailing to the World" OST.

"Weaver of Fate ~ Showdown With The Guru" = "Point of No Return" from said album

"Storm of Steel ~ Dalton's Mecha Puppets" = "Confrontation" from said album

"It's a Cat Herder's Life" = "Rhythm of Red" from said album

"Guldove ~ Home Sweet Home" = "Guldove Home" from Mitsuda's "Hopeful Weeds" album (IIRC!)

"Look Who's in Town ~ Guile, Cat Wrangling Champ!" = midway through the "Warlock Battle" track on Mitsuda's "Brink of Time" album

--

The "Kairos" label is a reverse-color image of this random company's logo with a reverse-colored image of the Frozen Flame shooped in.

I had "The Guru" pegged as definitely Gaspar at first just because of the cane, but I showed the art to ZeaLitY and he said, "That looks like a badass Belthasar!" So I guess I imagined Gaspar and Belthasar merging somehow. Might as well toss Melchior in for good measure. Hey, it could happen.

"Alethe" is a reference to "cholo/thyolo alethe," an endangered bird species.

--

It is really cool to see that a couple people actually registered over this. Welcome, peeps! Dunsparce, the font is all from Chaos Rings II so that it looks natural in context (aside from any mistakes I made while doctoring). I also figured a real announcement would get Japanese screens at first, but then again, Square Enix is taking the multi-lingual thing more and more seriously with its simultaneous launches nowadays. From a marketing studies standpoint, it'll be interesting to see whether they do eventually release screenshots in different languages for initial press releases.

The screens probably aren't correct aspect ratio for the PlayStation Vita, so there's also that. I just looked up Square Enix's PS Vita lineup -- pretty small, but I was surprised to find a Final Fantasy X port in there. I guess that's through PSN though?

I actually have no idea what the Japanese below the "Kairos" label means either. I translated "The Fate Unwound" into that with Google translator, and we know what happens there...!

And for the record, after thinking about it awhile...I'd totally play a Chrono game that had cat herding.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 01:21:33 am by FaustWolf »

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile

Bwahahaha, nothing but the highest-quality Rickroll for my Compendium buddies! You know I love you all, right? I'm gonna leave it up another 24 hours linking to my post here to clear up any confusion, then pop the thread into General Discussion so it goes off the front page.

I'm glad someone pulled something together for April Fool's Day. :)

This is the second year in a row I've completely forgotten about it.

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
This really isn't funny. I've been hurt too many times. :cry: :cry: :cry: