Author Topic: Crimson Echoes playthrough with youtube annotations as MP4  (Read 594 times)

Schala Zeal

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • 7th Elemental Innate
    • View Profile
Crimson Echoes playthrough with youtube annotations as MP4
« on: March 31, 2012, 07:28:44 pm »
I just finished downloading all 92 videos of CEMemorial and was also able to download the commentary annotations as XML files. I was able to convert the XML files to SRT files (subtitle tracks) and with VLC I was able to get the annotations in the video as captioning. However, it's inconveniently always placed at the bottom of the screen in scalable font size so it often overlaps the text in dialog boxes.

I was wondering if anyone else had tried this.

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
Re: Crimson Echoes playthrough with youtube annotations as MP4
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 06:22:06 pm »
Haven't actually tried it, but I'd probably use mencoder, which has a subtitle placement option[1], to burn the subs in, rather than trying to set something up with VLC.

[1]Somewhere among its jizillion other options. mplayer/mencoder is sort of like one of those brick-sized Swiss Army Knives—versatile, but unwieldy.

Schala Zeal

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • 7th Elemental Innate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 09:17:21 pm »
I wouldn't want to burn them in, because they overlap the dialog at times. However, I might upload the subtitle tracks for those interested.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 08:21:43 pm »
Can you go ahead and upload them?

trig

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 09:34:53 pm »
Here are screencaps of the CEMemorial videos with annotations.

Parts 1-42   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHLxdNUSihA
Parts 43-77   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhCTLIbS_co
Parts 78+   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksiC8W9ajog

YouTube no longer shows annotations. Annotation data seems to have been destroyed by YouTube Jan 2019... I wish I searched for this only one month earlier.

(Some annotation archival projects were running up til last month, but it's unlikely that these videos' annotations were archived. Archived YouTube video IDs are here, if you want to download a CSV whose size is on the order of 10 GiB.)

trig

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 12:45:33 am »
I began to transcribe them. How's this? First 3 parts attached.
Is anything obviously wrong or missing with this data, before I do all the parts and write a script to generate SRTs from the (eventually CSV) data?

Sidenote: The highlight annotations (showed a box outline over a portion of the video) seem to have been permanently lost. They exist only in the memories of those who wrote them and have seen them before.

EDIT: I got a hit for at least one of the video IDs in a partial download of the YouTube IDs CSV mentioned above.

EDIT 2: Success. The archive API is a URL in the form of https://archive.omar.yt/api/v1/annotations/[video_id]

The highlight (hover/link) annotation data is also preserved!

I want to write a script which will grab the relevant bits from the XML and make SRTs for each part.

EDIT 3
: I have XMLs for all the videos. Working on a script which creates well-formatted SRT from the XMLs.
The annotations aren't chronologically sorted in the XMLs, and highlight annotations consist of two annotation elements--the highlight square, and then the text as a separate annotation element, so the script must smartly put the two together.

Will share when complete.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 05:31:30 pm by trig »

trig

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 05:33:12 pm »
I generated SRTs from the archived YouTube annotations.

The text lines don't have any line breaks. If your player can't display them well, I can try to automate good line breaks for all the text.

I will follow up with the tools I used.

trig

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2019, 05:51:43 pm »
I know a little JavaScript, and learned Python for this. Forgive me; these are just cobbled together.

I used youtube-dl to get an ordered list of videos in the CEMemorial videos playlist:

Code: [Select]
youtube-dl -j --flat-playlist "https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE952926C2A6E7039" > data.json

This spit JSON to a file, so I used attached "script.html" to run through it and spit out just the IDs. I saved that to "ids.txt". (JavaScript is the only language I am familiar with where I can whip something up quickly.)

I created directories "xmls" and "srts" in the working directory.

I created and ran "get_xmls.py" to run through the IDs and get the archived YouTube annotations for each. (These are saved to /xmls)

I created and ran "make_srts.py" to run through each XML and generate an SRT. (The Death Is Nothing To The Reaper video is "0.srt")

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2019, 12:33:15 pm »
I only annotated like 10% of the playthrough, right?

I need to do the rest. Do annotations even show up on Youtube these days? Not sure if they disabled that feature or how you recovered them, but damn, I would need to finish my commentary as well.

trig

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2019, 01:43:08 pm »
The last four posts are actually all mine. They explain the process. Sorry for quad-posting; I wasn't sure when it was appropriate to edit and when to post anew.

Yes, YouTube doesn't have annotations anymore, but thanks to the valuable work of some dedicated people, thousands (edit: hundreds of millions) of annotations were saved before YouTube totally removed access.

I have only just started watching the playthrough myself... The commentary seems fairly complete, at least in the beginning, with comments from yourself, FW, Agent12, JP, C99, and others.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 11:32:39 am by trig »

trig

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2019, 08:31:00 pm »
Update on annotation availability:

The site invidio.us is now able to grab annotations that have been archived at a few places on the internet. The Crimson Echoes playthrough playlist is here.

On invidio.us, just under the video, click "Show annotations", and they will appear in the video just like they used to on YouTube. You can also enable "Show annotations by default" in the invidio.us settings page.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 08:33:27 pm by trig »