Author Topic: Magus' apparent knowledge of lavos  (Read 3945 times)

Chrono45

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Just a guy who likes CT ALOT.
    • View Profile
Re: Magus' apparent knowledge of lavos
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 11:19:06 am »
I found this clip to watch that shows the red staff ***SPOILLERS DON"T WATCH THIS IF YOU HAVEN'T BEATEN CHRONO TRIGGER*** but I don't know why you would be on this forum if you haven't. Anyways note the red staff around 6:30-6:40 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeKkuyjILls&feature=fvwrel The guy even mentions the problem of never addressing why magus thought the staff would have an effect also that it may be dreamstone.

I wouldn't say its obvious... I can't really remember my early game npc dialog regarding the mayhaps of magus though. But I believe that some people comment on him just disappearing, but I could be making that up. One would think that if Frog killed magus people would know about it and not wonder about his death. Also, summoning lavos isn't really a subtle feat normally his m-o is bursting through the earths crust and lighting everything on fire. Their isn't really any evidence of lavos, a giant creature, coming out of the ground and bringing hells lava with him. If anyone has some direct quotes from towns people or from the mystics in their village that suggest that lavos just disappeared without a trace that would be great.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 01:13:01 pm »
I call there's a red scythe in game (the Dreamreaper, after equiped it shows like a red stick in battle).
Maybe the designer was too lazy so they just used the same color as in the scene.  :?

And you know concept art or CG usually stick to one weapon or clothes, even if they may change in actual game.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2012, 02:05:00 pm »
Also just because it's red in-game doesn't mean it's dreamstone, and vice versa. The Masamune was not red (I know the ruby knife was, but that's not used as a weapon in game). Honestly there are too many things that could be red (and not dreamstone) to convince me that it is a dreamstone scythe. There's just no emphasis put on it, so from a storytelling perspective it's insignificant.

Chrono45

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2012, 02:07:49 pm »
Hmmm. Maybe it's the same weapon! which was actually my first thought, but sadly i'm very certain that doesn't make sense. But anyways the dreamreaper was only added to the ds version, and prior to that all of magus' weapons have visible blades unlike the weapon he attacks lavos with. so your argument doesn't really translate that well i feel, because that would mean they should have used his standard weapon (scythe looking deal) instead of the staff looking deal.

Chrono45

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2012, 02:11:12 pm »
I think I would have to agree with Mr. bekkler on this. For some reason the game never mentions Magus' disappointment or specific weapon again, which i feel is rather suspisious. But perhaps I will read through the literal translation of the Japanese version one day and see if i can't figure out if something was possible mistranslated.

jamesexia

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2012, 03:43:48 pm »
Another weapon that is red in-game is Crono's Red Katana. But, I think that's the only if I'm not mistaken.

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2012, 04:19:40 pm »
A simple coding/animation glitch could make it look like Magus was swinging a staff rather than a scythe.

Dip into the wiki here and check the physical attack frames on Magus' spritesheet, and you'll see that the scythe has no blade. Weapon sprites use a separate sheet, and are presumably assigned according to what each PC has equipped. If the programmers failed to fill Magus' weapon equip slot, then ran the attack animation, it would look like he was swinging a stick (assuming nothing crashed). Change (or forget to initialize) one colour in Magus' palette, and you've suddenly got a red stick. I'd rather believe in poor QA than a mysterious Dreamstone weapon that is never once mentioned in the dialogue.

Chrono45

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2012, 07:18:47 pm »
Yeah your absolutely right, I tried out a few swings with a few different scythes on magus and it infact looks like he's swinging a staff, if you pay attention. However, the attack he did on Lavos was personalized by square because magus' normal attack looks nothing like what he did to Lavos. Also, I find it kind of hard to believe that a mistake would be made on arguable the most important cut scene of the game. So, I'm still kind of up in the air on the situation and thinking that maybe something got lost (or added) in the translation. But great catch anyways, the fact that his normal scythe isn't largely different from the pole he's swinging at lavos makes the scene at least less curious.