Author Topic: Schala and Lavos  (Read 11389 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Schala and Lavos
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2005, 08:00:24 am »
What makes anyone think Magus isn't alive?

Uh, also, I think their strengths are both very different from one another. Schala seems more like the Support character (shield, protect, teleport, healing spells, etc), while Magus is more of an Offensive character (uh...offensive spells, duh).

Lordchander

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • I might come back one of these days...
    • View Profile
Schala and Lavos
« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2005, 08:07:50 am »
Not necessarily, so many female RPG characters have been classed as 'white magic' or support magic in games. Take Yuna in FFX for instance, she is supposed to be supportive mage/white mage, yet in my perfect save file, she is like a hell, full-on Ayla type super-woman!

PS: Im not saying all females are!

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
Schala and Lavos
« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2005, 08:13:06 am »
Well, mostly, I was just going off what we know about her and the Magic she uses in game...She seals off a gate, which I could see as being a kind of protect/shield/'shell' spell...she obviously uses a kind of Teleport spell...and yeah, healing spell i got from nothing...but she also seems to be able to stabalize the energy of the Mammon Machine in some regard...or at least she was trying...It's just that nothing she does seems really offensive...

Lordchander

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • I might come back one of these days...
    • View Profile
Schala and Lavos
« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2005, 08:22:57 am »
Of course, we dont see her using any offensive magic, thats just it, maybe all Zealians can use both forms of magic (black and white if u wanna follow FF), that would seem kind of right, unless there are those who are speciifically White Mages or Black Mages, maybe all princessess are supposed to be White Mages and all Princes Black Mages (like Janus), you never know. Zeal is a strange Kingdom, its customs even stranger.

Shadow_Dragon

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Schala and Lavos
« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2005, 11:37:12 am »
I'm assuming Schala never showed any black magic capacity cuz she had nothing to target. I mean, sure, she could attack her mother, but I doubt she'd have the will to, and it'd probably be easier and less complicated to control the mammon machine than to destroy it

Legend of the Past

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Schala and Lavos
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2005, 12:55:25 pm »
Plus the fact her mother might kill her. Okay, she WOULD kill her if Schala would attack.

And I don't think it's like Princess' can use one kind and Princes can use another. I think it's a matter of personality, if you will. Like Crono, the hero, gets the power of heaven. Lucca, the mad scientist, gets the power of the flame, the heart and core of all industry. Marle gets the power of water and ice, both gentle and dangerous, and Janus uses Dark Magic, as evil as his heart. Schala gets a Light Magic. Why? Beacuse she's good and kind hearted! Schala's the kind of person who's so sweet you wanna hug every time you see her! ^^'

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
Schala and Lavos
« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2005, 01:13:14 pm »
Isn't it explicitly stated Janus is stronger than both his mother and Schala? Schala's still wicked powerful, though, she just... doesn't use it all. (That's one of the annoying things about CC: shouldn't Kid have kicked ass with magic?)

He was probably hiding it because of the circumstances. (And if your mom's been driven nuts by a huge godlike alien creature that's about to destroy your kingdom, who can blame him?) I have a pet theory that if he'd revealed the true extent of his powers, Zeal would have used him instead of Schala, and Schala willingly covered for him for his own sake.

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
Schala and Lavos
« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2005, 02:11:45 pm »
One of the Zealites says that Melchior told him/her that Janus is more powerful than Schala.

Kid can't use magic because she needs the ability to be awakened. If she had met Spekkio then she might have gotten powers, for all we know she missed out when she was created. Since they use elements and not real magic in Cross her Magical abilities wouldn't be shown.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
Schala and Lavos
« Reply #83 on: July 30, 2005, 02:14:41 pm »
Quote from: Syna
Isn't it explicitly stated Janus is stronger than both his mother and Schala?

Yeah sure, if you're willing to say that "explicitly stated" and "subtly hinted at" are the same thing...

Quote from: LotP (like the nick?)
And I don't think it's like Princess' can use one kind and Princes can use another.

Did someone say this?

I think it's a matter of personality, if you will. Like Crono, the hero, gets the power of heaven. Lucca, the mad scientist, gets the power of the flame, the heart and core of all industry. Marle gets the power of water and ice, both gentle and dangerous, and Janus uses Dark Magic, as evil as his heart. Schala gets a Light Magic. Why? Beacuse she's good and kind hearted! Schala's the kind of person who's so sweet you wanna hug every time you see her! ^^'

I don't really see Shadow Magic as being 'evil'. Magic is only as good or evil as that who wields it. Plus, I know you seem to be joking, but "Light" Magic?

Quote from: Lordchander
Of course, we dont see her using any offensive magic, thats just it, maybe all Zealians can use both forms of magic

Quote from: Shadow_Dragon
I'm assuming Schala never showed any black magic capacity cuz she had nothing to target.

Again, I'm just going off what we know and see in game...

Syna

• View Profile
Schala and Lavos
« Reply #84 on: July 30, 2005, 03:09:03 pm »
Yeah sure, if you're willing to say that "explicitly stated" and "subtly hinted at" are the same thing...

One of the earthbound says, point-blank, that Melchior knows Janus is more powerful, and a translation I've read says "he's hiding his powers." This is an RPG. That counts as explicitly stated, IMHO.

BTW, the elements in CC vs. magic - how do you know there's a difference? (I'm not contesting you, I've just been confused about that and I'd like to know if anything is said about it in the games.

Legend of the Past

• View Profile
Schala and Lavos
« Reply #85 on: July 30, 2005, 04:50:19 pm »
"
And I don't think it's like Princess' can use one kind and Princes can use another.

Did someone say this?

Quote from: Lordchander
maybe all princessess are supposed to be White Mages and all Princes Black Mages (like Janus)

I think it's a matter of personality, if you will. Like Crono, the hero, gets the power of heaven. Lucca, the mad scientist, gets the power of the flame, the heart and core of all industry. Marle gets the power of water and ice, both gentle and dangerous, and Janus uses Dark Magic, as evil as his heart. Schala gets a Light Magic. Why? Beacuse she's good and kind hearted! Schala's the kind of person who's so sweet you wanna hug every time you see her! ^^'

[/quote="V_Translanka"]I don't really see Shadow Magic as being 'evil'. Magic is only as good or evil as that who wields it. Plus, I know you seem to be joking, but "Light" Magic?[/quote]

Light Magic, yes, as in healing, protecting... Heaven Magic, if Zeal, too, is split to those catagories.

And...Well, maybe Dark Magic isn't evil... But Janus' heart is dark. Thus, it makes sense Dark Magic is what he uses. Plus the fact a cool character should get a cool element.:lol: [/quote]

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
Schala and Lavos
« Reply #86 on: July 30, 2005, 05:25:17 pm »
Ok, does this thread look all weird to anyone else? Even the Topic Review is strange...well...w/e...

One of the earthbound says, point-blank, that Melchior knows Janus is more powerful, and a translation I've read says "he's hiding his powers." This is an RPG. That counts as explicitly stated, IMHO.

As I recall, the quote was more like, "could it be that Janus is more powerful?" or something to that effect. And sorry for not knowing some oblique fan translation of some random Zealian quote...Like I say, I just go by what I know from what I saw in the game and what I know. And everything I say? Yeah, that's right, it's my opinion too. Who the f*ck else's opinion would it be? Of course it's your opinion. It's useless to state such an obvious fact...but then again, I'm stating that it's obvious, but that's because you are unawares.

BTW, the elements in CC vs. magic - how do you know there's a difference? (I'm not contesting you, I've just been confused about that and I'd like to know if anything is said about it in the games.

This one I DEFINATELY know has it's own thread. I'm all for completely derailing and hijacking threads, but only to the point that it leads in an entirely NEW direction that HASN'T been explored in a previous thread. Not to berrate you or anything, but sometimes these things get out of hand...

OH YEAH! HERE'S THAT THREAD!!!

Quote from: LotP
Light Magic, yes, as in healing, protecting... Heaven Magic, if Zeal, too, is split to those catagories.

But...Water is healing Magic too...Heavenly's actual only Magic even close to healing is Life...

I don't understand what you mean with Magus' Magic...but w/e...it doesn't seem important...

And....also, when you were quoting me, you were using the name I was using for you...

Legend of the Past

• View Profile
Schala and Lavos
« Reply #87 on: July 30, 2005, 05:32:34 pm »
Drat! Should pay more attention to this.

Syna

• View Profile
Schala and Lavos
« Reply #88 on: July 30, 2005, 05:42:55 pm »
As I recall, the quote was more like, "could it be that Janus is more powerful?" or something to that effect. And sorry for not knowing some oblique fan translation of some random Zealian quote...Like I say, I just go by what I know from what I saw in the game and what I know. And everything I say? Yeah, that's right, it's my opinion too. Who the f*ck else's opinion would it be? Of course it's your opinion. It's useless to state such an obvious fact...but then again, I'm stating that it's obvious, but that's because you are unawares.

Here's the quote from http://cc.herograw.com/Black/Publications/ctscript.txt:

"The Guru of Life said that Sir
   Janus has stronger powers than
   even Miss Schala!

Janus must be using her and the
   Queen to get to Lavos..."

So there you are.

There's no need to take it so personally. I was simply pointing something out and I was trying to do so without sounding arrogant since it's silly to be arrogant about something like RPG knowledge - hence the 'IMHO,' which was supposed to emphasize the fact I wasn't aiming to sound arrogant. It's not stating the obvious; it's stating the tone I was aiming for.

As for the magic thread, it's just something I was curious about, and I see no reason why I shouldn't bring it up. Thanks for digging it up for me.

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
Schala and Lavos
« Reply #89 on: July 30, 2005, 11:45:45 pm »
Quote from: Legend of the Past
Plus the fact her mother might kill her. Okay, she WOULD kill her if Schala would attack.

The Queen could never come close to destroying Schala. Schala is emmensly powerful. She has morals and would never attack her mother. And she can't really protest, because she's living in that age where Teenagers had no rights etc.

But to a degree, she did protest by going down to Aggety where if Dalton hadn't come, the Ocean Palace wouldn've been active.
Schala knows that her mother is possessed, so she doesn't want to attack her. And by saying that she's a  "healer" type... that's an insult. Anyone who can control Lavos' energy to a point is very strong. I'd personally think that Schala would be Shadow magic. Not like Magus' with black hole, but more like sealing off magic casting, raising a players Mdef, Mattack etc. and some other attacks, probably like dark mist. Though, she probably wouldn't want to use it to kill anyone.