Author Topic: Yoichi Wada moved Square Enix's offices based on advice from a fortune teller...  (Read 1984 times)

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
I was browsing through 1up and Neogaf and came across this...

You can watch it all the way through, but skip to around the 7-minute mark...

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/17537

:picardno

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
   :hey

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Wada tool amirite

chi_z

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • And you thought the dalton idea was ludicrous!
    • View Profile
lol yea I saw this not too long ago. guy's less than a tool imo. the only thing I can do is take solace in the fact that basically no one (especially no major players) from square of old ( say the first 10 ff) are there anymore, so it's a new company. if they were to make a chrono game, I wouldn't consider it canonic, it'd have to be by monolith. not sure what to think about 11, shouldn't have been a numbered game just like 14, but definitely the 'transition' to shite. I'm sure the story is about all that's left in square games nowadays, and for the most part the stories are a cliched rehash or an incomprehensible mess. it pains me to know a generation will grow up with fond memories of such mediocre shite.

xcalibur

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
lol yea I saw this not too long ago. guy's less than a tool imo. the only thing I can do is take solace in the fact that basically no one (especially no major players) from square of old ( say the first 10 ff) are there anymore, so it's a new company. if they were to make a chrono game, I wouldn't consider it canonic, it'd have to be by monolith. not sure what to think about 11, shouldn't have been a numbered game just like 14, but definitely the 'transition' to shite. I'm sure the story is about all that's left in square games nowadays, and for the most part the stories are a cliched rehash or an incomprehensible mess. it pains me to know a generation will grow up with fond memories of such mediocre shite.

indeed. I used to wonder why older folks said that the stuff they grew up with is best, but now I can understand. its not just Chrono Trigger, although its clearly among the greatest of all time. many other video games and other media made in the 90s have not been surpassed.

and I'm not sure if I even want square-enix to make another chrono game. I'm sure they'd figure out some way to ruin it. at the very least, there's no possible way they'd recapture what the original accomplished.

also, @ topic:

« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 10:27:35 pm by xcalibur »

chi_z

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • And you thought the dalton idea was ludicrous!
    • View Profile
for me 12 is where I drew the line and stopped. the music has been great all the way through, but the games themselves have suffered greatly.

ZealKnight

• Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
...I think 12 is the best

Jormungand

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
lol yea I saw this not too long ago. guy's less than a tool imo. the only thing I can do is take solace in the fact that basically no one (especially no major players) from square of old ( say the first 10 ff) are there anymore, so it's a new company.
That's actually not true.

Takashi Tokita, lead designer, director and scenario writer of FFIV (and one of Chrono Trigger's directors), remains at the company. He has mainly been working on portable titles.

Also remaining is Hiromichi Tanaka, designer of FFIII, producer of Secret of Mana, director of Seiken Densetsu 3, producer and battle system designer of both Xenogears and Chrono Cross, and producer of FFXI and FFXIV. He has since been forced to step down from his role as XIV producer and we have no idea what he's doing now. Ironically, Tanaka is one of the three founding members of Square.

Akitoshi Kawazu, who has been working on dozens of Square titles starting with the original Final Fantasy, also is still at the company.

Hiroyuki Ito, director and designer of Final Fantasy VI, director of FFIX, and co-director of FFXII.

Hiroshi Minagawa, art director of FFTactics, Vagrant Story, and co-director of FFXII.

Akihiko Yoshida, character designer of FFTactics, Vagrant Story, FFXII, FF3DS, and more.

And so on.

So, yes, many senior designers, writers, and composers have jumped ship, but many remain. The problem is that their talent and wisdom is being squandered in favor of the current trend toward action games. The fact of the matter is, the Square brand has always been about RPGs. No matter what kind of game they make, it always has a strong RPG element. This has been their calling card since the company's inception nearly three decades ago. But now, their brand is being turned inside out: the "RPG" touch is becoming secondary to a principle of action. Action action action. It is an utter obsession in the Japanese game industry right now in their effort to both mimic Western blockbusters and their own home-grown Monster Hunter. I'm happy there's a market for such games, but not when it's to the detriment of niche genres.

Not until Square concedes that they can't dispense with their turn-based roots and embraces this format will their company (and its remaining talent) recover their reputation. Believe me: now is the worst time for Square to make something like a new Chrono game. It would be an action game with little or no recognizable RPG elements.

ZealKnight

• Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
Ito may be the most important person at Square-Enix and in FF. I would post a link to the wikipedia article, but today is 1/18 or rather fuck sopa day. :oops:

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
yea I just thought this was so strange...

I know a couple of my friends on that great island country say that it's a way of life for some, but why entrust everything you have worked so hard for to a fortune-teller? meh...