Author Topic: VIII. Strength - Ayla  (Read 11813 times)

xcalibur

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Re: VIII. Strength - Ayla
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2018, 08:27:35 pm »
I was actually thinking Magus for death, Lavos never crossed my mind! LOL I was just thinking of Magus' line "come, if it is death you seek!"

Tarot cards have specific meanings and symbology, and quite a bit of thought has gone into synthesizing these meanings with Chrono Trigger. I'll post the thread shortly.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2018, 01:11:22 am »
Wow, tush, this is looking great! I love seeing progress pics like this.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2018, 02:25:11 am »
lookin good. I still think you could put an erupting volcano instead of the Reptite Lair. One concern is that if we depict Death as Lavos crashing into the Reptite Lair, it would be redundant to include it here. but it's not that big of a deal.
Both are right there in the picture, though. The volcano is right behind the Reptite lair, overshadowing it, with fire and ash-clouds coming out of it. Though, if the Reptite lair itself conflicts with the symbolism of the card, I'm happy to remove it and put something else in its place. However, I don't think it should be a big deal, since the Reptite lair will be silhouetted anyway.

What do you think?

Wow, tush, this is looking great! I love seeing progress pics like this.
Thanks, Kodo!

xcalibur

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2018, 02:35:23 am »
lookin good. I still think you could put an erupting volcano instead of the Reptite Lair. One concern is that if we depict Death as Lavos crashing into the Reptite Lair, it would be redundant to include it here. but it's not that big of a deal.
Both are right there in the picture, though. The volcano is right behind the Reptite lair, overshadowing it, with fire and ash-clouds coming out of it. Though, if the Reptite lair itself conflicts with the symbolism of the card, I'm happy to remove it and put something else in its place. However, I don't think it should be a big deal, since the Reptite lair will be silhouetted anyway.

What do you think?

for some reason, my brain didn't 'see' the volcano, which should've been apparent. I see it now, and it looks good. once it's colorized it'll be unmistakable. considering the Reptite Lair is in the midst of volcanoes, it works. it's not really a conflict so there's no need to remove it.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2018, 05:38:43 pm »
Just an update. Was going to share a screenshot, but then just decided to keep it a secret for now.

Currently in the inking stage, and already loving the results.

This upcoming card / art is going to be SO EPIC, I tell you. So epic that somebody might as well pay me to do this, it's that top-notch quality. But it takes so goddamned long, since I'm not trying to half-ass this (yeah, I'm the sort of person who needs to go out of my own way to "try" to half-ass something).

The only thing I'm worried about is the coloring phase. But I'll figure something out.

EDIT: 5am in the morning, and I've finally finished the inking. It looks gorgeous as balls. This is definitely worth a million bucks. Jesus Christ, the draftsmanship... Did I just fucking impress myself? That never happens! 

EDIT 2: I forgot to add the whiskers... I'll do that after I wake up. Too exhausted right now.

EDIT 3: Either way, once I'm done, I'mma print this shit for my wall.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 08:51:30 pm by tushantin »

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2018, 08:39:03 am »
1) Are the colors alright?
2) Should I keep going with the textured Dry Bristles brush, or should I instead go for a smooth Oil Painting effect?

I'm also kinda worried about the colors making the lines immaterial. I really loved the lines.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 08:41:48 am by tushantin »

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • I didn’t “pick up” anything! It’s common sense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2018, 05:28:53 pm »
That is looking amazing! I also love the lines. I was going to suggest making the colors more vibrant, but I don't think it would fit. I think she's looking absolutely brilliant!

I do like the dry bristled for this, says to me "rough around the edges" which Ayla definitely is. :)

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
DONE!! VIII. Strength - Ayla
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2018, 10:34:38 pm »
DONE!  :kamina

I'm shit at Art Nouveau, but hey, at least the end result isn't that bad.  :P I like this style! I think I'll keep this style for the rest of the cards going forwards (but I'll need to be faster at producing them).

Okay, Strength card is officially done. Now i need to design the framing and templates so that I can finally publish this to Art-Station / DeviantArt and shit. And hopefully get people to subscribe to my Patreon.

Speaking of Patreon, if anybody here feels they could pitch in a bit to help me speed up the creation process by making me focus on it a bit more (rather than having to chase after clients firstly), please feel free to do so! I won't take any money unless I actually produce something for you, so it's not a monthly payment requirement.

xcalibur

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2018, 11:13:46 pm »
that came out very well. I approve.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2018, 11:19:52 pm »
Yeah, looks pretty good.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2018, 05:16:55 pm »
Ah, fuck it. I'll take care of the design later. For now, click here to see the line-art, color and zoom-in run-down: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/1znK8

(I'd normally link to my own website, but for some odd reason the lightbox seems to have broken and I don't know how to fix it.)

If you don't give a shit about the run-downs and just wanna see the final image in all its glory, well, you asked for it.  :)

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2018, 06:55:50 pm »
Also, I forgot I was supposed to be writing poems / write-ups for it too. Ah, well, here's something I wrote in a hurry. Posted it on my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/cyanlos/photos/a.2324526591052496.1073741837.230368313801678/2324526617719160/?type=3&permPage=1

Gnashing teeth, volcanic roars. This fervour of beast that prowls unchecked bellows with ancient, primal energy. One would think that true strength emanates from this animalistic spirit, but upon sniffing its blind-spots it remains incomplete.

Which is why the maiden, the ultimate predator of passion, neither looses nor subdues it, nor take it upon herself to match its strength to tame the wild thing. She locks gazes with it, she touches it, she asks it. Because she understands it.

And it bows so its hungry heart can be still to accept honor, courage and sacrifice, while it also never forgets to ride ferociously knowing that to win is to live, and to lose is to die.

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • I didn’t “pick up” anything! It’s common sense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2018, 09:56:19 pm »
I love this so, so much!! You did a FABULOUS job! You have given me something to aspire to.  :D

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2018, 10:57:37 pm »
Hey tushantin, just stopping by to tell you that this is AWESOME. A+ quality work, my friend.