Author Topic: VIII. Strength - Ayla  (Read 11812 times)

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
VIII. Strength - Ayla
« on: December 13, 2011, 05:30:25 pm »
VIII.
STRENGTH:

Summary: *Reserved*

Symbolism: "The key characters are that of a woman and a lion, with the woman looking calm and gentle, yet dominant over the lion. Many cards, including that of the Rider-Waite-Smith deck, have the woman clasping the lion's jaws. Another feature of the RWS deck is a lemniscate (a kind of geometric form) hovering over the woman's head. Other decks have the woman sitting upon the lion, or merely with one hand upon it. Some decks feature just one of the characters; flowers are often presented on this card."
(From wikipedia)

Keywords: Strength, courage, conviction, energy, determination, action, heroism, virility
Reversed: Weakness, pettiness, sickness, tyranny, lack of faith, abuse of power
(From learntarot.com  & themysticeye.com)

Description: "There are many stories that come to mind with this card: Daniel in the lion's den. The Aesop's fable of "The Sun and the Wind," where the Sun's warmth, as compared to the Wind's coldness, persuades a man to take off his coat. Also tales of saintly maids who get brutish barbarians to kneel down in prayer. What we see in all these stories is the taming of the beast by way of inner strength and gentleness.

The Maiden represents higher feelings and that we can experience if we bring our wild passions to heel. And so we willingly do so.

This card, however, isn't just about the Maiden's power. Like its ruling sign Leo, this card is also about the hot, roaring energy and enthusiasm of the Lion including passions like "lust" (which is the name it was given by Crowley in his Thoth deck). The lion's power may be frightening, but it is also desirable. Much can be achieved if such power is put to use. Some decks, in fact, label this card as "Power."

That energies can be brought under control and used is very close to the message of the Chariot, which might be why, in some decks, it is Justice that is card #8 instead of Strength. There is a difference, however, between Strength and the Chariot. The Chariot is a card about using your impulses to achieve a victory.

Strength is about combining two strengths to overcome weakness. The Maiden is weak of form, but her mastery of herself is powerful. The Lion is strong of form, but weak when it comes to mastering himself. The Maiden's commands overcome the Lion's weakness, and his form overcomes the Maiden's weakness. This is why the Maiden doesn't try to harness the lion to a chariot, nor does she run from it or try to kill it. She meets its eyes, touches it, embraces it. This is a card about understanding our wild natures, accepting them, yet also gentling those passions so that they work for us rather than against us. Putting these two strengths together creates perseverance, personal honor, and courage.

The card can also stand for a steadfast friend."

(From Aeclectic Tarot)

Fool's Journey: "The Fool, victorious over his enemies, is feeling arrogant, powerful, even vengeful. There are hot passions in him, ones he finds himself unable and unwilling to control. It is in this state that he comes across a maiden struggling with a lion. Running to help, he arrives in time to see her gently but firmly shut the lion's mouth! In fact, the beast, which seemed so wild and fierce, is now completely at her command.

Amazed, the Fool asks her, "How did you do that?" One hand on the lion's mane, she answers, "I asked the lion to do it, and it did it."

"But-but-" the Fool stutters, confounded. "Why did it want to obey?" At that moment, the Maiden meets the Fool's eyes; he sees in her warmth, gentleness, a heart so great that its generosity seems as infinite as its willingness to understand. And that is when the Fool understands exactly why the lion did her bidding.

It wanted to connect to that higher energy.

Yet there is still one thing that confuses the Fool. "But," he says, much softer now, "Why would you, fair maiden, want to keep company with a beast?"

"Because he, too, is filled with a wonderful energy," the Maiden says. "It is wild and fierce, but it can be banked, like a fire in a hearth. I knew if he would take direction from me, we could both be warmed."

"So, too," she adds, "are our passions. Let them run wild and they will do damage. But we can, with gentle fortitude, check and direct those passions. In doing so, we can get so much more out of them. And yet, still sate them."

His rage quieted, the enlightened Fool walks away knowing that it wasn't only the lion that was tamed this day by a Maiden's pure and innocent strength. '"

(from Aeclectic Tarot)

Feel free to post additional insights into the card, questions, & ideas for the artists to consider!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 06:56:47 am by tushantin »

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: VIII. The Strength - Ayla
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 05:31:30 pm »
Useful symbolical suggestions:

What if she was riding a sabre-tooth and physically holding a massive tangible infinity symbol above her head, maybe made of stone or something heavy, and it just dwarfs her but she's carrying it like it "ain't no thing"?

as I mentioned, this could feature Ayla closing a sabertooth tigers mouth. It would take the place of the lion well, and it's one of the most recognizable prehistoric species. the background should be easy enough - maybe a volcano in place of the distant mountain.

http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Ayla.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smilodon
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 02:31:49 pm by tushantin »

xcalibur

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 04:27:05 am »
as I mentioned, this could feature Ayla closing a sabertooth tigers mouth. It would take the place of the lion well, and it's one of the most recognizable prehistoric species. the background should be easy enough - maybe a volcano in place of the distant mountain.

http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Ayla.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smilodon

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 01:43:51 pm »
I think xcalibur's idea works quite well. The lemniscate may be a nice touch, depending on how realistic you want the card to be.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 01:46:19 pm »
I don't think I follow you. What do you mean be "lemniscate"?

Syna

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 02:21:58 pm »
Oh, it's just a fancy word for the infinity symbol (the one above the woman's head).

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 02:25:50 pm »
I know.  :P I meant, why / how do you intend to have it? As in, clever placement?

Syna

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 03:52:37 pm »
I'd say that, if you think it works, put the lemniscate just above her head, the way it's depicted in the Rider-Waite. It may look weird, though.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 11:21:47 pm »
It would indeed look weird. o_O

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 04:30:46 am »
What if she was riding a sabre-tooth and physically holding a massive tangible infinity symbol above her head, maybe made of stone or something heavy, and it just dwarfs her but she's carrying it like it "ain't no thing"?

Syna

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 02:28:33 pm »
Dude, Bekkler, that would kick ass. And be very Ayla-esque!

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 02:32:19 pm »
Thanks, Bekk. Updated the second post. =P

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: VIII. Strength - Ayla
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2018, 05:42:19 pm »
Preliminary sketch. Too exhausted to continue, but wanted to get this layout out of my head. Feel free to critique on the gesture and element-placing if you like. (Yes, xcalibur, you too. XD)

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • I didn’t “pick up” anything! It’s common sense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2018, 07:22:30 pm »
I live it, I think it looks like a great start. I can'y wait to see this as it progresses!!

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2018, 09:19:47 am »
Any suggestions?