Author Topic: Cups Suit: Page of Cups - Janus  (Read 11809 times)

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
Cups Suit: Page of Cups - Janus
« on: December 11, 2011, 04:16:41 pm »
CUPS SUIT
PAGE OF CUPS
:
Janus

Summary: *Reserved*

Symbolism: "A fair, pleasing, somewhat effeminate page, of studious and intent aspect, contemplates a fish rising from a cup to look at him. It is the pictures of the mind taking form."
(from tarotjourney.net, quoting Rider himself)

Keywords: Emotion, Intuition, Intimacy, Love, Vulnerability, Gentleness, Kindness, Sensitivity to Art
Reversed: Selfishness, little desire to create, a poor imagination, Jealous, Melancholy, Moody, Emotional
(From learntarot.com, tarotjourney.com  & themysticeye.com)

Description: "As a Message: Usually the Page of Cups signifies a message of family matters or a matter of the heart. It might be an artistic message, a story or poem, or a message confessing deep feelings.
     As Time and Environment: This is a time of fresh emotions, feeling them purely and wondering at them. Romance is at the stage of puppy love and crushes.
     As a Child or "Child-like" Person: This is the daydreamer, head in the clouds, rarely paying attention. Which makes it difficult to get them to focus on homework or chores.
     The Page of Cups has got a great imagination, an artistic bent, and a love of story-telling which is both wonderful, but problematic, as they may let their imaginations run away with them. They will believe that there are elves in the garden and monsters under the bed. Adult-wise, they may not be taken serious as they're viewed as too "airy-fairy."
     Very kind and sweet, they'll bring you fresh picked flower, make you a card, write you a song; they'll try to rescue sick birds or abandoned kittens, and take very seriously the death of a goldfish. When sad, they're the saddest kid you ever saw. When happy, they're positively blissful."

(From Aeclectic Tarot)

Fool's Journey: The Page cards are messengers of their suit, often depicted as young men, children, or princesses. The Cups suit is the suit of emotion, imagination, creative sensitivity, and depth.

Syna

• View Profile
Re: Cups Suit: Page of Cups - Janus
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 04:19:00 pm »
As a side note, the Pages are sometimes called the Princesses. So don't be too confused if you see cards for the Princess of Cups -- that's just a liberty that people have traditionally taken with the Page cards.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 04:33:33 pm »
For some reason, that last statement reminded me "Magus in a crinoline".

Dammit!

Thanks for the thread, BTW!

Syna

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 04:43:06 pm »
I'm quite fine with someone drawing Magus in a crinoline, though it wouldn't really fit the card XD

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 05:30:28 pm »

I couldn't resist.

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 08:33:35 pm »
...You're evil.  :lol:

Seriously, though, he should look more peeved—it's difficult to be evil when your skirts keep getting in the way.

xcalibur

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 02:28:53 am »
that was... unnecessary.

further reference for Janus:

also, re: the other thread, I agree that simply holding a cup would be a bit simplistic. we might consider creative ways of featuring the suit in the illustrations.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 04:42:56 pm »
Angerona, here's the lineart, redone in Sai: http://www.box.com/s/iokmuisf0v2l29pbpncd
Feel free to create surrounding designs and environs while I color Janus. Or would you like to color Janus?

Also, check the attachment, people. Do you like the newer, cleaner Janus pants, or do you prefer the older "foldy" Janus pants?

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 06:39:31 am »
Looking at it again, the legs look incredibly weird... unless Janus is standing at a mountain top. We might need to take a close-crop of the picture for the card.

...And we need a logo for "Cups". TheMage, you up for this?

Anywho, don't think I can share the Sai file for this one; it's over 9000 60 MB.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 10:08:18 am »
UPDATE!

Whadya think about this style of coloring?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 12:23:50 pm by tushantin »

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 04:59:36 pm »
Janus is done. What do you folks thing? Any critiques? As you can see here, I've been trying to emulate Alcyone's line style. Alas, she'll always be better at it that I will. XD

Angerona, the Sai file is huge. Here's a render instead (let me know if you need anything else).

Side-by-side comparison:

EDIT: I know you won't see much of a difference if you looked before, but I modified the post coz I changed Janus' chin a bit.

EDIT II: ....and again!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 05:38:59 pm by tushantin »

TheMage

• Artist of Termina
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Dreaming through time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 01:55:06 pm »
I think he looks amazing! Shading and coloring looks good to me!

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2011, 03:28:04 pm »
No suggestions on the improvement, symbolism and background? XD

Angerona

• Guardian (+100)
  • Where are my keys???!!!
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 10:05:06 pm »
No suggestions on the improvement, symbolism and background? XD

I really like it. Personally I’m fan of a more complex coloring style myself (more shading levels, bouncing lights, etc.) but this one works really well. Probably the only thing I would do would be changing a couple colors and make Janus skin a little liver and a bit pinker or yellower (I love pale Janus but  I feel the color is too similar to Alfador’s lilac fur… I feel that creating a more noticeable difference between both could work better. However f Janus is already in the process of becoming Magus this tonal gamma would totally make sense (Though personally I  would like to avoid the grayish skin tone of the Playstation release, somehow it feels wrong.) Also, it could be that a purplish light is affecting the general color schema (in that case the yellow parts should be more affected by that light). Other than that, I would probably make Alfador’s left eye a little bigger vertically, more similar in size to the right eye. Finally, I feel Janus’ neck is a bit too tick for someone as young as him. Maybe I would make it a bit thinner (without falling in the usual anime/manga/videogames excess of super thin and anatomically impossible necks) but at the end it would really depend of the particular age you are depicting ^^.
I can’t say anything about symbolism right now because I need to actually sit down and read the posts first but I will make sure to come back to you =).

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 03:33:45 am »
XD I just noticed that Janus' neck is not only thick but also unusually long. Can't do much about the shapes (save for Alfy's eye) but how's this coloring?