Author Topic: III. Empress - Queen Leene  (Read 4987 times)

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
III. Empress - Queen Leene
« on: December 11, 2011, 03:37:28 pm »
III.
EMPRESS:
Queen Leene

Summary: *Reserved*

Symbolism: "A gown decorated with pomegranates, a crown of stars, a rod, a heart-shaped shield with the symbol for Venus, a field of ripe wheat."
     Pomegranates are a symbol of Persephone, who was, after all, Kore the goddess of spring in addition to the Queen of the Dead. The Crown of Stars is another symbol of Venus, who has a celestial aspect as Aphrodite Urania, queen of the heavens. The field of ripe wheat is a symbol of fertility and relates to the goddess Demeter, and the rod is a symbol of authority.

(from Aeclectic Tarot & Syna)

Keywords: Mothering, Abundances, the Senses, Beauty, Nature, Action, Development, Accomplishment, Mother-Sister-Wife, Evolution
Reversed: Vacillation, Inaction, Lack of Concentration, Indecision, Lack of Warmth, Infertility, Anxiety
(From learntarot.com  & themysticeye.com)

Description: "The Empress is a creator, be it creation of life, of romance, of art or business. While the Magician is the primal spark, the idea made real, and the High Priestess is the one who gives the idea time and space to decide on a form, the Empress is either the womb or nursery where it grows till it reaches a certain level of maturity.
     This is why the Empress' symbol is Venus, goddess of beautiful things and gardens, as wells as sex and love. Venus is the goddess of artists, and helps them painstakingly develop their pieces from clay to statue, from first brushstroke to masterpiece.
      Even so, however, the Empress has more in common with Demeter, goddess of abundance, then sensual Venus, as the wheat in the background and the pomegranates on her dress imply. She is the giver of Earthly gifts, the great, fertile mother goddess. Yet at the same time, she can, in anger, withhold as Demeter did when her daughter, Persephone was kidnapped. In fury and grief, she kept the Earth barren till her child was returned to her."
      In general, the Empress is an impetus for development & creativity, a symbol of growth.

(From Aeclectic Tarot)

Fool's Journey: "Having decided what he will create with his tools, the Fool strides forward, impatient to make his future a full-grown reality. This is when he comes upon the Empress. Her hair gold as wheat, wearing a crown of stars, and a white gown dotted with pomegranates. She rests back on her throne surrounded by an abundance of grain and a lush garden. It is possible that she is pregnant.*
    Kneeling, the Fool relates to her his story. And she, in turn, smiles a motherly smile and gently gives him this advice: "Like newly planted grain or a newborn babe, a new life, a new relationship, a new creation is fragile. It requires patience and nurturing. It needs love and attention. Only this will bring it to fruition." Understanding at last that his creations will take time to develop, the Fool thanks the Empress and continues on his way."

(from Aeclectic Tarot)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 06:57:56 am by tushantin »

Syna

• View Profile
Re: III. The Empress - Queen Leene
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 03:44:05 pm »
Personal opinions:
- This is another easy one. Leene is already quite a bit like Venus, so all you really have to do is play up her Queen-ness. In the game she is less a Queen than a wife and inspiration, so I would personally do something to emphasize her authority: placing her on a throne, giving her the Empress' rod, etc. But her gentility and beauty match the card very well. 
- Fitting the Guardia symbol in here would be really nice!
- The fertility imagery (wheat, etc.) strikes me as a little hard to plausibly incorporate. Maybe as a part of royal drapery?

Again, I'll post up some of my favorite depictions, and you can find other examples of the Empress card here.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 04:38:53 pm »
Oh maaaan, you folks are going to create the first full Leene fan-art! How exciting!

Ahem! Carry on.

<_<
>_>

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 05:47:21 pm »
Yeah, this is great. IT's awesome this project's really getting off the ground.

xcalibur

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 02:45:03 am »
agreed.

further reference:

Syna

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 05:16:40 pm »
Ahh, I forgot to put in the Chrono references. Knew I was missing something! Thanks!

(And I didn't realize that no one had *ever* done a full Queen Leene. That makes me think that one of the cooler aspects of this project will be art of the lesser-depicted characters.)

Syna

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 04:31:29 am »
Pictures are not the best quality; apologies!

And because this is absurdly cute.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 02:18:12 pm »
Can't seem to picture an appropriate pose... Was thinking of doing something dynamic this time, rather than just "standing" or "sitting". Something with elegance, but I can't seem to picture a queen with an attitude.

Any help?

As for symbol of fertility and maternity, how about an egg?

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 06:35:27 pm »
How's this pose? (And why is it I can't ever draw female faces right?)

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 06:51:49 am »
Don't like the previous one? How about this one instead? Strangely enough, I don't think how this one might fit into the card (it's too broad...)

Also, pardon the perspective lines. Can't live without it sometimes.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 12:57:24 pm »
The first one is better in context. Just my opinion!

TheMage

• Artist of Termina
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Dreaming through time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 01:50:23 pm »
I like the expresssion in the second one more but I like the pose in the first one better. XD