Poll

How do you feel about Schala replacing Ayla?

Anything for playable Schala!
16 (40%)
Replacement is bad, but Ayla is the right one.
10 (25%)
Schala should have replaced someone else.
6 (15%)
I wanted the original cast.
8 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Voting closed: July 08, 2005, 05:41:46 pm

Author Topic: 7/16/05 - How do you feel about Schala replacing Ayla?  (Read 12358 times)

DarkGizmo

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
7/16/05 - How do you feel about Schala replacing Ayla?
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2005, 11:10:20 am »
I knew those link I've seen them often but ...

File Not Found!

We're sorry, but the page you requested could not be found.

Thta's probably due to their super-hitech-download thing

Why not take something simple has downloading and putting it so hard to achieve that our bandwith will never be used?

If someone has them and would like to share them with me I have MSN : gizmo_007_silver@hotmail.com we can share that way

YbrikMetaknight

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • I strike fast and disappear for years at a time.
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Compendium
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2005, 09:55:58 pm »
I didn't read the entire thread (just the first page), so maybe my concern has been addressed.

I went with the second choice, because from a story perspective, Ayla is the right one to replace with Schala, if replacement is necessary. However, from a gameplay perspective, I think the game would be seriously lacking without Ayla. My favorite team has always been Crono, Marle, Ayla. Crono is well-balanced (really strong physical attacks and techs, ultimate-level magic, a very little bit of healing), Marle can heal damn near anything and adds a fair amount to the magic situation, Ayla is super-strong physically...and the dual techs and triple tech with that party are incredible. Ice Sword 2, Falcon Hit, Cube Toss, Volt Bite, Final Kick...just so much good there. Sure, Ice Sword 1 is obsolete once you get Ice Sword 2, and Twin Charm is limited, and that other dual tech of Crono and Ayla's (was it Drill Kick?) is pretty tame, but even Aura Whirl is not without its uses.

Are there suitable replacements? Probably. But I think some dual and particularly triple techs would have to be overhauled or replaced entirely to accommodate the lack of the game's physical powerhouse. I think Schala might tip the scales into the game being more about casting magic than using physical attacks and physical techs, whereas the original was nice and balanced.

Oh well, it's probably a pretty minor concern, especially if we've got people working on it.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2005, 10:30:09 pm »
Depends on our capabilities with techs. We can always boost Schala's physical stats if need be and properly explain it.

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2005, 12:49:25 am »
That would be odd...  A physical Schala.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2005, 05:13:12 am »
Or Glenn could become the new physical powerhouse. I'm not expert on frogs but from what they look like amphibian forearms don't appear very developed (contrary to the legs). Maybe we could say that Frog's muscular strength was limited by that, and when he reverts to his human form Glenn is finally able to use all his power (but losing some abilities like Slurp Cut and Leap Slash probably).

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2005, 06:03:07 am »
Yeah, but if you'll remember, Frog's winning pose showed that he had huge biceps! I think things should be different, yes, but I don't know if he'd necesarrily be stronger...Maybe he'd just have better techs since he wasn't limited to Frog form...

Lordchander

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • I might come back one of these days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2005, 07:55:12 am »
or maybe u can have a jump tech like Kain in FF4

~Darth LC

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2005, 09:42:12 am »
Quote from: V_Translanka
Yeah, but if you'll remember, Frog's winning pose showed that he had huge biceps! I think things should be different, yes, but I don't know if he'd necesarrily be stronger...Maybe he'd just have better techs since he wasn't limited to Frog form...

Oh yeah I forgot about that pose, his biceps remind me of Earthworm Jim now that I think about it...

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2005, 10:02:43 am »
Lol, I'd rather think that Frog was what made Glenn look buff because Frog is small and needs more muscles to jump higher, extend the tounge extra long, swim etc.

Glenn would probably be fair build.

As for Schala, She seemed quite powerful in CT. Not like in a buff sort of way, but i'd think she'd have the highest Magic resistance and Defence among the group. She resisted the Mammon Machines full peak of power for a while, Dalton's almost Fatal blast didn't kill her, she fell into the DBT and was still okay mentally, for a while. Am I looking at the best Sorceress inthe whole game? lol

DarkGizmo

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2005, 11:53:01 am »
Quote from: Chrono'99
Or Glenn could become the new physical powerhouse. I'm not expert on frogs but from what they look like amphibian forearms don't appear very developed (contrary to the legs). Maybe we could say that Frog's muscular strength was limited by that, and when he reverts to his human form Glenn is finally able to use all his power (but losing some abilities like Slurp Cut and Leap Slash probably).

Many of Frog tech where from his "frog side of the family"

Slurp  Restore ally's HP (Some)  1 MP  --> Frog based
Slurp Cut  Snag and slash enemy  2 MP  --> Frog based
Water  Damage enemy w/ Water  2 MP  
Heal  Restore allies' HP (Some)  2 MP  
Leap Slash  Leap-slash an enemy  4 MP  --> Frog based
Water 2  Damage all enemies w/ Water  8 MP  
Cure 2  Restore ally's HP (Full)  5 MP  
Frog Squash  Low HP = greater damage  15 MP  
--> Frog based

Too much doubletriple tech I'll just put numbers
----

Glenn has 15 double tech

9 out of 15 are frog based

================

Glenn has 6 triple tech

5 out of 6 are frog based

==================================
For the final count...
==================================
Frog has a total of 29.
Out of those 29 technique, 18 are frog based.

62 % of Glenn's tech are from based and when I think of it ALL his tech are frog based only his magic attacks aren't frog based -_-

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2005, 05:48:50 pm »
There's something funny about Ayla that came to my mind (it worthes nothing though so I won't create a new topic) : the CT characters are all losers except Ayla!

Crono was killed by Lavos, Marle was destroyed by "the grandfather paradox", Robo was destroyed by the Apocalypse, Glenn was defeated by Magus, Magus was defeated by Lavos. Lucca didn't die in CT but did in RD/CC probably killed by Lynx. Ayla is the only CT character who never got defeated in the series :)

(well she did faint after fighting with Nizbel, but that was because of some soup and the festivity the day before^^')

DarkGizmo

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2005, 05:53:56 pm »
Well the is the funny ending where you see everyone in reptites that means that Ayla died, because you didn't helped her, but we know that cannot be since Lavos' Ice Age would have killed them (or they hid in the remains and got out when the ice Age finished?)

Legend of the Past

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2005, 05:56:10 pm »
Yeah, that's what's odd about the ending. Either way, Lavos would STILL land!

DarkGizmo

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2005, 05:57:11 pm »
not if Azala summoned Lavos  :roll:

DarkGizmo

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2005, 05:58:25 pm »
Hum can't edit...

Well I meant she unsummoned it when she killed Ayla