Author Topic: General Tarot Discussion thread  (Read 21247 times)

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
Re: General Tarot Discussion thread
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2011, 10:09:30 pm »
OK, it looks like these are set in stone, unless someone else wants to voice an opinion:

High Priestess
Empress
Lovers
Chariot
Strength
Wheel of Fortune
Justice
Death
Temperance
Devil
Tower
Star
Sun
Judgment
World
Ace of Swords
Ace of Wands
Ace of Pentacles
Ace of Cups
King of Swords
Knight of Swords
Page of Swords
Knight of Wands
King of Pentacles
King of Cups
Knight of Cups
Page of Cups

(I have a few things to say about the Court Card ideas for later & I think it may be wise to give us some leeway there in case we decide something drastic.)

We have plenty of solid choices! I think that as long as we have this whole forum to play with, we may as well start threads for these cards based on the template idea so that people can post their picture progress and discuss whatever needs discussing; perhaps each of us "Tarot Doctors" (xcalibur, Lady Marle, rushingwind, and myself) could take a set of five and work from there as time allows? Thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 12:25:09 pm by Syna »

Syna

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2011, 10:51:42 pm »
Meanwhile, Lady Marle, can you give us your reasons for the following choices as a starting-point for discussion?

Fool
Magician
Emperor
Hierophant
Hermit
Hanged Man
The Moon

(Restricting this to the Major Arcana for now so we can get those underway.)

If you can contrast your choices with the ones that were previously discussed, I think that would help us get going quickly! I'm sure one of us could provide a little summary of the issues involved with each card if you don't want to go back and dig through pages of back-and-forth.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2011, 07:59:58 am »
Noticing the way you wrote "Tarot Doctors" my brain somehow interpreted as you not being fond of the term.  :P If you folks don't like it we can always change it.

At first I was confused about having Cyrus as the King of Cups (thought he'd make a better Knight of Swords, but I guess Slash deserves the position), but looking over it again I've grown fond of the balance -- Flea and Slash as Knight cards of Wands and Swords, while Ozzie and Cyrus as Kings of Pentacles and Cups respectively. Strangely enough, we can actually draw a story line here.

Question: Drawing Flea, where do we position the wand? He doesn't have any.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 08:02:17 am by tushantin »

Manly Man

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Don't be a pussy. She looks legit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2011, 01:25:49 pm »
You don't realize how hard it was for me to not laugh at that last line. Just saying.

Syna

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2011, 03:09:14 am »
Not at all, "Tarot Doctors" works just fine. =D

As to the Swords vs. Cups question, I endorsed the proposal largely because, well... the Swords are a harsh suit. They're affiliated with Air and the intellect, and the King of Swords' association with arbitration and justice matches Masa & Mune very well (they are, after all, almost elemental beings, and ones which chose their master based on his fitness). The Cups suit is generally linked to emotion, caring, wisdom, and imagination. To me that's a better match for the courtly Cyrus and his role in the lives of Glenn, Leene, and the kingdom.

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2011, 01:33:31 pm »
You don't realize how hard it was for me to not laugh at that last line. Just saying.

:|
:I
:S
:)
XD

Pffhahahahahahaha!!!

xcalibur

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2011, 01:57:15 am »
Not at all, "Tarot Doctors" works just fine. =D

Indeed, it suits me well.

As to the Swords vs. Cups question, I endorsed the proposal largely because, well... the Swords are a harsh suit. They're affiliated with Air and the intellect, and the King of Swords' association with arbitration and justice matches Masa & Mune very well (they are, after all, almost elemental beings, and ones which chose their master based on his fitness). The Cups suit is generally linked to emotion, caring, wisdom, and imagination. To me that's a better match for the courtly Cyrus and his role in the lives of Glenn, Leene, and the kingdom.

I agree. The association with air & intellect is yet another match. Mune is about knowledge, but they also rely on "wind power" attacks in the battles (tornado techs, slash, also "storing up tornado energy" to release the powerful vacuum wave). and they let you ride the winds to leave the mountain.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2011, 02:31:28 pm »
XD I'm glad someone did.

With the exception of Fool, Magician, Emperor, Hierophant, Hermit, Hanged Man and The Moon, until Lady Marle has some input, feel free to begin making threads for the major Arcana (is Page of Cups / Janus set in stone? If so, feel free to make that thread too) and we can begin discussion on the individual cards. I'm having a writer's / artist's block at the time being, but I'll cope up.

Okay, symbolism time! (Dammit, we need Saj on this!) Now, regarding the Janus art:

First question: Where do we place the cups symbol? (No innuendos this time, unless you have a very wicked mind, you pervert you...) I've tried various ideas, including having a background, but no luck.

Second question: Besides Janus' attire, what color scheme would fit here? The theme of the card itself brings Glaucous to mind.  Gentleness brings the color Powder Blue, Sweetness brings Amber to mind (which is also significantly related to "children" or "youth"), selfishness being Davy's Grey. Create, however, is an outburst of rainbow colors, especially highly saturated and illuminated colors.

Third question: What kind of background and design are we thinking about?

Fourth question: I can't figure out what to do with his right hand.

xcalibur

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2011, 06:27:37 pm »
XD I'm glad someone did.

With the exception of Fool, Magician, Emperor, Hierophant, Hermit, Hanged Man and The Moon, until Lady Marle has some input, feel free to begin making threads for the major Arcana (is Page of Cups / Janus set in stone? If so, feel free to make that thread too) and we can begin discussion on the individual cards. I'm having a writer's / artist's block at the time being, but I'll cope up.

Okay, symbolism time! (Dammit, we need Saj on this!) Now, regarding the Janus art:

First question: Where do we place the cups symbol? (No innuendos this time, unless you have a very wicked mind, you pervert you...) I've tried various ideas, including having a background, but no luck.

Second question: Besides Janus' attire, what color scheme would fit here? The theme of the card itself brings Glaucous to mind.  Gentleness brings the color Powder Blue, Sweetness brings Amber to mind (which is also significantly related to "children" or "youth"), selfishness being Davy's Grey. Create, however, is an outburst of rainbow colors, especially highly saturated and illuminated colors.

Third question: What kind of background and design are we thinking about?

Fourth question: I can't figure out what to do with his right hand.

I believe that Page of Cups - Janus is set in stone, unless someone else has a different idea. but I strongly believe that it's the best fit.

also, Janus would most likely be holding a cup imo, like the rider-waite illustration.

I'm not a graphic artist, but I would like to have input on the creative process. I might even do very rough drawings to show my ideas at times.

Syna

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2011, 07:14:09 pm »
As time permits (probably beginning tomorrow), I'll begin making some threads!

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2011, 02:45:39 am »
also, Janus would most likely be holding a cup imo, like the rider-waite illustration.
Holding a cup sounds a little too simple, though... Then again, I'd like to know your input on this:

xcalibur

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2011, 05:23:29 am »
I like where you're going with it so far.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2011, 05:27:34 am »
I like where you're going with it so far.
Yeah, but what about the cup? XD I'm out of ideas. I've seldom dabbled into decor-designs that Laverinne excels at.

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2011, 09:07:46 am »
Hmmm... The first thing that comes to mind for me is to have it falling in midair as though he dropped it when he raised his off-hand to pet Alfador (it might also be in the process of tipping over and spilling, although I'm not sure what that does to the symbolism). If he has to be holding it, the only place is in the crook of the arm not filled with kitten, and that would look a bit crowded/peculiar/silly.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2011, 09:22:40 am »
I tried the mid-fall thing, looked bad. Added a bird clutching the cup, ruined the "sad gaze of uncertainty" effect. So...

Crook of the arm... you mean like this?