Author Topic: Social Reforms -- Change The World With Style!  (Read 4208 times)

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
Re: Social Reforms -- Change The World With Style!
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2011, 05:36:30 pm »
And, unlike what some of the Compendium members suggested, we didn't need totalitarian restrictions on "free speech" (which is almost never effective) or criminalizing sexism, mind you; it was something much more subtle, much more powerful and even more beneficial, progressive and liberal.

Referring to me, of course. *

Our laws currently are sufficient to provide free speech to the commoners and penalize those who threaten that stability, such as thieves or murderers, and yet ordinary people tend to "complain" that there's too much of "evil" going around while quietly awaiting the Government to do something about it. When patience wears thin, and they notice more "evils" being conducted, they suddenly have a reckless knee-jerk reaction, "There should be a law against this and that" as if it's so easy to pass a bill and change something without consequences. Some of the best of them study law and politics to become lawyers and politicians, and in the end do the same thing others before them did: constantly bicker self-righteously, while the public stays in the heat for too long.

It’s not clear whether you’re talking about the U.S. or India... **

*So apparently you are multiple Compendium members.
**He was talking about India.

I think it's so strange how we can all read the same passage and somehow all read something different. The words are the same to everyone, but...
For example, Z's criticism (?) seemed to support Tush's arguments, from my reading.

Also, Josh, I'm not sure where you're from, though I think you live in the Seattle area at present, but what makes you think that you have more knowledge about India and what is going on there than SOMEONE FROM INDIA WHO LIVES THERE? Because half of your criticisms are "you don't know what you're talking about."
It's fine when you correct him on what life is like in America because obviously he's an uneducated foreigner who can barely even write the language properly and so of course has no idea what life and politics are like here, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that he knows more about Indian life and politics than you and has experience and knowledge to back up his claims, even if he chooses not to. "Reasoning" with you is a lost cause, after all. I'm not surprised he didn't let himself fall into that circular pattern again.

Um, what I did actually want to ask about, was, What was dowry and why was it a bad thing? I'm really not even familiar with non-Indian dowry traditions, let alone Indian traditions.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2011, 05:51:54 pm »
what makes you think that you have more knowledge about India and what is going on there than SOMEONE FROM INDIA WHO LIVES THERE?

Lifelong study and devotion to sexual equality. As for me, I've read a couple books by Indian feminists and attended a lecture. Everything about tush's newfound equality rings hollow. The portrait I was given (supported of course by myriad studies and scientific data) is that sexism is (as expected, of course) still widespread across the world, particularly in India. India is one of the prime offenders in son preference, especially the northeastern states. And the picture of Indian homelife was one of unrelenting servitude for women, who must maintain a household that (because of Brahmic tradition) usually includes taking care of elderly family members in addition to everything else. Try to break your role as homemaker, and you will be punished. But so it goes in almost every civilization.

I'd quote more statistics, but I've loaned out my Atlas of Women at the moment.

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2011, 05:58:30 pm »
tush, when say something like that, it's usually because I don't have the emotional energy (and you've already seen what happens when I run out of that unexpectedly) to deal with the potential fallout that might come my way if I actually expressed what I feel, so for the time being, I'm going to remain silent. I'm sorry if that comes across as passive-aggressive, because that isn't my intention—it's self-defense mixed with the frustration of a chronically ill person who has to take his limitations into account even if he doesn't want to.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2011, 06:12:20 pm »
What was dowry and why was it a bad thing?
I think this should sum it up as a simple explanation: http://www.indianchild.com/dowry_in_india.htm

Dowry is actually a case where the family of the groom demands a heck-load of wealth from the the bride's family and out of various bull-shit reasons, sometimes even going so far as to threaten to "break the marriage and defame the bride". The amount of wealth the groom's family demand is so outrageous that the parents actually have to strive their asses off for twenty whole years to gather that sum; thus if a girl is born then off the Dad and Mom go to slave away and dive into poverty. This in turn promotes misogyny and has renders an idea that when a girl is born into the family it's an ominous sign, thus breeding incredibly disturbing thoughts.

Dowry is one of the worst evils in my nation. Being a rebel, if I sight any instance of Dowry in my neck of the woods I will bring retribution. But so far in Maharashtra, I haven't yet, besides the once in Bengal when I was 9. But the biggest problem is at Rajasthan.

tush, when say something like that, it's usually because I don't have the emotional energy (and you've already seen what happens when I run out of that unexpectedly) to deal with the potential fallout that might come my way if I actually expressed what I feel, so for the time being, I'm going to remain silent. I'm sorry if that comes across as passive-aggressive, because that isn't my intention—it's self-defense mixed with the frustration of a chronically ill person who has to take his limitations into account even if he doesn't want to.
No probs, Alfy. Whenever you're ready.  8) But I suppose your health matters most at the moment. Godspeed.

Lifelong study and devotion to sexual equality.
Except that you studied about the backdrops of Caste-based societies, where Sexism still exists in full force. However, I won't argue with you here because you're right that the influence is massive considering these societies have scarcely developed much since the initial formation, especially the Northern states (did I mention how we Maharashtrans despise the Northern folks? They're hellishly uncultured, rude and abusive).

However, my prime focus was the states which actually have been successful at curbing misogyny a great deal. Not every victory is marketed, though, and especially such victories are never a 100%, and hence our continual struggle to maintain integrity. The only difference is that... meh, how do I put it... *scratches his head*
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 06:14:23 pm by tushantin »

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2011, 06:32:28 pm »
To Tush: Ah, I see...augh that's awful. >~<

To Zeality:
The portrait I was given (supported of course by myriad studies and scientific data) is that sexism is (as expected, of course) still widespread across the world, particularly in India. India is one of the prime offenders in son preference, especially the northeastern states. And the picture of Indian homelife was one of unrelenting servitude for women, who must maintain a household that (because of Brahmic tradition) usually includes taking care of elderly family members in addition to everything else. Try to break your role as homemaker, and you will be punished.

So, I was talking to Josh, not you, Z, but I can respond to you anyway because you bring up a good point.
You have more than a layman's knowledge of Indian social dynamics, from the sound of it, and what you know reinforces what most (in my experience) Americans "know" about India and its women. But the fact that there still is misogyny doesn't mean that reform isn't happening, which is, I think, the core of what Tushantin is trying to say here.

And I still say that someone from India who lives there and especially if that person is active in Indian politics as Tush seems to be (I may have misunderstood, but even if he is not personally active and has merely done his research)--that person still knows more about their own country than even a well-read foreigner who has never been to India. But perhaps you have been, and I am in error. Reading a couple books and attending a lecture really doesn't add enough credibility (though it adds a lot) to override a native's firsthand knowledge, in my opinion.
Not to mention I'm a bit dubious of feminists, what with how ridiculous our American brand can be sometimes...but maybe Indian feminists are different. (and that's an entirely different subject altogether, so I'll leave it at that)

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2011, 06:39:19 pm »
I think you live in the Seattle area at present, but what makes you think that you have more knowledge about India and what is going on there than SOMEONE FROM INDIA WHO LIVES THERE?

Ah, you are drawing upon the fallacy that one must experience a thing to be qualified to speak about it. The old "You don't know what it's like until you've tried it" argument--a concept they presumably teach in college philosophy courses if you ever care to take one.

I know that, scientifically, one must always speak with a certain tentativeness. However, in my travels, I have met so many people who know less about a thing that I do despite their being immersed in the experience of that thing for years or even a lifetime. I know more about religion than many if not most religious people. I know more about the South than many Southerners. I know more about sexism than most victims of it.

I do not particularly know much about India, but neither is my knowledge trivial. Years of reading the news, on top of a modest but notable study of history, will do that to a person. It's called being informed, and I very much encourage you to try it. I encourage everyone to do the same. Tushantin lives there, but what he says makes it seem to me that he doesn't really know much about his own homeland. Sexism, for instance. He says that in many areas of India it has been effectively curtailed. That doesn't jive with the fact that India is one of the worst countries in Asia to be a female. (Nor is that an assertion I pluck out of thin air. You may scrutinize it at your convenience.)

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that he knows more about Indian life and politics than you and has experience and knowledge to back up his claims, even if he chooses not to.

I wish it were so, but it is frustratingly uncommon that people who really ought to know a whole lot more than me about a given thing only know somewhat more, or no more, or significantly less, or practically nothing. It's a testament to how people waste their lives and to how injustice suppresses people from developing their potential.

"Reasoning" with you is a lost cause, after all.

I doubt that. People considerably smarter than yourself would say otherwise. Oh, but that's a fallacy. Here's something more defensible: Prove it.

What you're really saying, when you say something like that, is that you're annoyed by the fact that I am firm with foolish people, or perhaps that you are annoyed by my particular style. That's fair, but irrelevant. You would not know much about my ability to reason, not least because I'm fully aware that most of my criticisms at the Compendium take a shortcut from exhaustive substantiation and precision proof. But, also, I suspect that you're not particularly adept at culling the chaff from the wheat yourself, at least so far in your naive youth, so that even if I were to be more thorough you would somehow come around.

What can I say? Humanity has no shortage of people who are weak and strive to be weaker, people who learn a little and know a lot, people who think their level of passion or their particular opinion entitles them to metaphysical truth. And, after fifteen friggin' years of being more respectful and giving many benefits of doubt, I have lost my patience for endless repetition to unappreciative mooks. The thinkers, the curious, the self-improvers, they look at what I write and although they can be off-put by the feisty attitude they understand that I have a point. Lesser individuals see only what they want to see, and it's probably not cupcakes and daffodils.

Here's a piece of counsel for you: If all you have to say to me is to chew me out for interacting with others, save it. I'm not interested. You're probably better off just avoiding me entirely. If you want to engage me directly, on some matter of your own, do that. But I'm not going to participate in your jejune social dramas.

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2011, 07:18:21 pm »
 :lol:
That doesn't jive with the fact that India is one of the worst countries in Asia to be a female. (Nor is that an assertion I pluck out of thin air. You may scrutinize it at your convenience.)

As a whole, I believe it. It's what my limited experience has shown me. But I am willing to accept that not all of India is uniformly terrible, even if most of it is, if presented with such a statement that is then supported in a way that I can identify and agree with. Which I was presented with.

As for my "jejune social dramas" (Oh look, Josh knows words! See how very learned he is!), I will cease them immediately after this post, until such a time as I feel the need to resume them. Keep in mind that I would, actually, take your side if you ever said anything that I agreed with. As it is, either I disagree with you, or I agree more strongly with someone else. It's nothing personal in that respect. I understand that you "have a point," I just find that it is a badly-supported point because I have never been remotely convinced by any of your arguments. The opposite...reading your supporting statements generally causes me to disagree with you more strongly...

But your "particular style" is abrasive and rude and you seldom back up your arguments with more than "no, you're wrong because this is right" or "you're not understanding me properly, let me restate my views and be more condescending," or even "I'm right, and you are foolish!" and that is why I clash with you so often these days. I guess what I'm saying is, being an ass doesn't hurt your arguments or diminish the strengths of your beliefs or the credibility of your ideals, but it sure doesn't help any!

But, also, I suspect that you're not particularly adept at culling the chaff from the wheat yourself, at least so far in your naive youth, so that even if I were to be more thorough you would somehow come around.

You'll have to restate this in simpler terms--I'm just too young to understand. You're saying that "even if [Josh] were to be more thorough [Katie] would somehow come around."
Do you mean that even if you had better arguments, I still wouldn't agree,
or do you mean that if you had better arguments, I would agree?

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2011, 07:54:50 pm »
I guess what I'm saying is, being an ass doesn't hurt your arguments or diminish the strengths of your beliefs or the credibility of your ideals, but it sure doesn't help any!

That's possible!

But of course I wouldn't be being enough an ass if I didn't point out that, going by my sense of the term there are some far worse offenders 'round these parts! That gets into layers of individual blind spots as a result of societal norms. I suppose Diogenes was an ass when he cavorted through the streets of Athens carrying a lantern in broad daylight in search of an honest person!

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2011, 11:33:58 pm »
tushantin, thanks for opening a bit of a window into some initiatives associated with the Feminist movement in your country. I've barely had a chance to dig up the text of the 2005 anti-domestic violence act, but seeing as it's only as long as some of the posts here, I do hope to read it over!

Even in hindsight I think passing this was a damn brave thing for your government to do, judging from all I've read about it so far. I agree that the battle must finally be won at the cultural level, but laws also have a very critical role to play in redressing problems. A social revolution might take longer than a battered spouse has -- and some diehard old-fashioned people will be a lost cause any way you slice it. The law's shortcomings and unforeseen consequences deserve to be satirized, but a responsible social activist also has a duty to recognize in equal measure whatever successes it's had in achieving the goal set out for it, I think. The difference between a fair approach and a totalitarian one is whether innocent men who get swept up in it have a chance to prove themselves innocent. That, in itself, is a different question from whether the innocent are actually proclaimed innocent, and the guilty are proclaimed guilty. Those are concerns I can't comment on for not being near enough to the situation, but as an outsider I am heartened to see that's the law's implementation is being monitored by UNIFEM at least.

If I may go on a tanget: tushantin's mentioning literacy rates, together with seeing that UNIFEM's got some pretty good data on reports per area, got me interested in some statistical research regarding this law. If I can find literacy rates for all the areas that reporting data are available for, I want to run a regression of violation reports on female literacy/graduation rates. I think it's reasonable to infer that areas with low female literacy/education also see greater rates of domestic violence. But will we find more violation reports in low literacy areas, or actually less? Perhaps the answer would be an indicator of whether the law is meeting the goal the legislators had in mind when creating it?

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2011, 06:03:39 am »
I agree that the battle must finally be won at the cultural level, but laws also have a very critical role to play in redressing problems. A social revolution might take longer than a battered spouse has -- and some diehard old-fashioned people will be a lost cause any way you slice it. The law's shortcomings and unforeseen consequences deserve to be satirized, but a responsible social activist also has a duty to recognize in equal measure whatever successes it's had in achieving the goal set out for it, I think.
The laws do indeed have a critical role, but a common man can hardly do much at a political level, and hence my satire towards "twiddling thumbs" because every citizen has a role to fulfill towards social stability. Problem is, Feminism in India is a divided cause, and hence maintaining cultural responsibility and women's freedom rests upon social reformers (hence my "R. K. Laxman" approach when I wrote the first post) who educate the masses via accessible means (and this works even if the majority of the population are anti-intellectuals). The only problem is that the laws in India, unlike in the US, don't have their kinks worked out (quite a number of crimes are actually committed by those in power, such as higher classes and Police officers) and hence the domestic justice retains within the hands of the commoners and reformers. Hence, social vigilance is every citizen's responsibility.

Quote from: Jaago re
The civic authorities might have turned a blind eye to the sorry condition of our roads. The community might have learned to live with it. But Shahabuddin Khan of Boisar, Mumbai didn't.

Where others saw a pothole, he saw an opportunity to make a difference. When not ferrying passengers, he repaired potholes by filling them with gravel. This selfless act has possibly saved hundreds of his fellow commuters a great deal of inconvenience. A truly positive act.

Shahabuddin Khan fills potholes. A hundred, thousand, or a million people might be inspired by his story. Not everyone can fill potholes, but everyone can contribute one click towards sharing this story - A small action that could make India a more positive place.

Do you see what I'm talking about?

The difference between a fair approach and a totalitarian one is whether innocent men who get swept up in it have a chance to prove themselves innocent.
That's a good point, thanks. I mentioned the restriction of Free Speech as "Totalitarian" because in some cases such severe laws actually lead to public restlessness, despite its control over civic life. As far as "proving themselves" goes, trying to defend in a trial is usually a lost cause unless you have a professional lawyer to help you, despite the evidences for your innocence (and hence "Justice is blind"). Domestic matters such as public shaming and gender oppression has a far greater power than law when the citizens are capable of recognizing such actions and are willing to help curb it when the law enforcement aren't around. The only difference is that the citizens need to approach with a positive outlook rather than hateful, and in the areas I've personally been to the citizens are incredibly helpful folks. These are empathetic actions, to be able to help a fellow stranger in need, that help strengthen national integrity.

If I may go on a tanget: tushantin's mentioning literacy rates, together with seeing that UNIFEM's got some pretty good data on reports per area, got me interested in some statistical research regarding this law. If I can find literacy rates for all the areas that reporting data are available for, I want to run a regression of violation reports on female literacy/graduation rates. I think it's reasonable to infer that areas with low female literacy/education also see greater rates of domestic violence. But will we find more violation reports in low literacy areas, or actually less? Perhaps the answer would be an indicator of whether the law is meeting the goal the legislators had in mind when creating it?
Do share your finding, and thank you for looking up. XD I'm curious to the data myself. It is fairly reasonable to connect literacy with domestic violence (and, not to mention, caste systems and dowry), so I wouldn't be surprised with the numbers rising in states like Rajhastan, but I certainly hope it isn't so with Punjab. What I can say, however, is that while numbers among the highest violating states may give some good impression on public life, the numbers may not be accurate -- this is usually in accounts quite a few cases get swept under the rug.

But I am willing to accept that not all of India is uniformly terrible, even if most of it is
Then it makes you the wiser. Also, it's not just about India, but any nation thereof.

Ah, you are drawing upon the fallacy that one must experience a thing to be qualified to speak about it.
It's not fallacy. It's "Psychology". You need to know what the heck you're talking about, Josh.

I'm fully aware that most of my criticisms at the Compendium take a shortcut from exhaustive substantiation and precision proof.
I don't think I even need to comment on that.

I know that, scientifically, one must always speak with a certain tentativeness.
And you violate your own tentativeness, regardless of debates.

I know more about religion than many if not most religious people.
Then let us know what you think of the principles and monastics of the Bowries. I can't wait to laugh at you.

Years of reading the news, on top of a modest but notable study of history, will do that to a person.
And "years of news reading" will let you know that news medias rate and forward news based on their "Shock value", which, if taken from foreign simplistic perspective, will implant a flawed image of someone's country. For instance, the US Government allows its students to use calculators in Mathematics, in which case my boss's niece went there for education and managed to solve mathematical equations in half the time it took for the other American students, and only relying on critical thinking rather than gadgets. Not to be racist here, but this circumstance (by simplistic value) paints a picture among other non-Americans that the "students of America are stupid". If you'd argue, then the other non-Americans would gladly point that you don't know about your own homeland.

Josh, while I respect that there is more to the American culture than I know of based on "reading the news" and second-hand info, I expect you to do the same. Don't let your racism and ignorance bleed onto every post you write just because you "saw something on TV". And further more:

"You should not venture to be pompous when you know not whereof you speak."

Here's something more defensible: Prove it.
There, proved it.

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2011, 07:29:42 am »
I know more about sexism than most victims of it.

I realize this is a tangent, and perhaps should be moved to the "Fuck Sexism" thread, but I'd like you to explain what you meant by this statement.

I may be misinterpreting what you said (and please correct me if I'm wrong), but this offended me.  It offended me very deeply.  At the most basic level, you will never understand sexism "more than most victims of it" simply because you are male.  What you said (as I read it) seems akin to a white person who has done extensive research on racism who claims that they know more about racism than those directly affected by it.  A white person will never know more about racism than a minority, no matter how much they have read and studied.  An able-bodied person will never know more about ableism than someone with a disability, no matter how many degrees they have in that field.  A cisgendered person will never know more about trans*phobia than someone who is transgendered, no matter how many books they have read.  Because those aforementioned people--no matter how many books they have read, or how many degrees they have, or how many years of their life they have poured into understanding these social injustices--are among the privileged.  You are among the privileged, Josh, because you were born a man.  Yes, you are likely more book-smart than the vast majority of people on this forum.  You are most likely more book-smart and well-read on sexism than most victims.  But at the core of it, you will never know more about sexism than women.

Again, if I'm misinterpreting what you said, let me know, but as it stands I take serious issue with your statement.  As someone who has suffered both mild and severe forms of sexism, what you said dumbfounded and disturbed me.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 07:31:44 am by Sajainta »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2011, 11:16:33 am »
I know more about sexism than most victims of it.

I realize this is a tangent, and perhaps should be moved to the "Fuck Sexism" thread, but I'd like you to explain what you meant by this statement.

I may be misinterpreting what you said (and please correct me if I'm wrong), but this offended me.  It offended me very deeply.  At the most basic level, you will never understand sexism "more than most victims of it" simply because you are male.  What you said (as I read it) seems akin to a white person who has done extensive research on racism who claims that they know more about racism than those directly affected by it.  A white person will never know more about racism than a minority, no matter how much they have read and studied.  An able-bodied person will never know more about ableism than someone with a disability, no matter how many degrees they have in that field.  A cisgendered person will never know more about trans*phobia than someone who is transgendered, no matter how many books they have read.  Because those aforementioned people--no matter how many books they have read, or how many degrees they have, or how many years of their life they have poured into understanding these social injustices--are among the privileged.  You are among the privileged, Josh, because you were born a man.  Yes, you are likely more book-smart than the vast majority of people on this forum.  You are most likely more book-smart and well-read on sexism than most victims.  But at the core of it, you will never know more about sexism than women.

Again, if I'm misinterpreting what you said, let me know, but as it stands I take serious issue with your statement.  As someone who has suffered both mild and severe forms of sexism, what you said dumbfounded and disturbed me.

If you mean that I'm not subject to misogyny by virtue of my sex, and thus don't have the firsthand experience of it, you are completely right. I have been fortunate not to be the direct target of misogynistic behavior, partly because as you say I was born into the privileged sex and partly because I'm picky about the company I keep.

I will say, to be clear, that I have often been the indirect victim of sexism as told by how it directly affects the world I live in and the people who are important to me, and occasionally I have even been the direct victim of misandry.

But the emotional experience of a thing is not the same as a conceptual understanding of that thing. I am literate in sexism. I know all about what it entails, how it works, where it occurs, why it happens, how to recognize it, where it comes from, and so forth. Many of the victims of sexism--sometimes even as a direct consequence of the sexism against them--do not know some or all of these things. They may only know the sting of oppression. In addition to my personal interaction with many friends and others over the years (which is not to be marginalized, I thank you), I have studied the issue more thoroughly than, almost certainly, everybody else here. Nor have I simply memorized details, but come to understand the nature of sexism as fluently as I speak the English language.

It's sort of my pet issue, and all that.

As I mentioned earlier, in philosophy there is the question of whether firsthand experience of a thing is necessary to understand that thing. The issue comes up precisely because there are those who say "If you have not experienced a thing yourself then you cannot know more about it than those who have," which is what you have said here. That assertion is generally incorrect. It gets down to what "understanding" means. Suppose I were blind--which is a much more severe scenario than knowledge of sexism, as it assumes a fundamentally lower level of sentience. Let's say I studied all about eyesight, the concept of visual stimuli, the nature of how it works, the texture of one's exposure to it, and so on. If I were really passionate about it, I could easily come to know more about eyesight than the vast majority of sighted people, who take it for granted and would be hard-pressed to say many pertinent factual things about it because they have never really thought about it or become scientifically literate about it. Without experiencing eyesight, I could come to imagine it, to wax artistic about it, to conceive of it using reference points that are meaningful to me, and to appreciate the power that it gives a sighted individual. What I would not be able to do is directly experience it myself. If I were able to cast off my blindness and directly experience the power of  vision, the only things that would change are that I would be able to derive utility from it, and, more pertinently, the experience of vision would combine with my conceptual understanding of it to make my understanding more literal--more personal.

With misogyny, it isn't even the case that I am missing one of my senses. What I am missing are the ill-effects of misogyny. Instead of being fundamentally cut off from the experience, however, the ill-effects of misogyny are specific versions of more general ill-effects--such as the subversion of the will, selective treatment on irrelevant grounds, irrational hatred, and actual physical violence. I have experienced all of those things, and they are cousins of the experiences of misogyny. I hope you can appreciate the significance of the fact that the experience of misogyny is not unique in human existence.

However, even if the experience really were something as fundamentally unique as, say, eyesight--something which cannot be experienced in any other way--it would still not be the case that I could not come to know a thing as well as or better than many (not all!) among those who can experience it. To objectively understand of a thing--to understand how it affects people, how it works, etc.--personal experience isn't necessary. The personal experience certainly helps. But it isn't a prerequisite, because the nature of comprehension transcends emotion. Emotion--that is, direct personal experience--colors our understanding. It adds to it. It does not diminish it. But the structure of the thing being understood exists independently of the tones in which it is colored.

None of the above ought to be a point of contention. If you construed my wording in my earlier post to somehow diminish or demean the experience of those who suffer from sexism, then please accept this clearer explanation in its stead. More than that, I cannot offer. I have been on the receiving end of bigotry before; I know what the feeling of it is like if not necessarily the flavor of any one form that bigotry takes. And I empathize more than perhaps you appreciate with the victims of sexism. Human experiences, after all, seldom occur in a vacuum, and one person's experience can affect people connected to that person. To say that I have not personally known the pain of misogyny belies the pain that I feel of it through others, the pain I feel to see all of my species brutalized by sexism in all its forms, and to a lesser extent the pain I feel from occasionally being the target of misandry--which is what you did to me in your very post.

I may seem like an arrogant intellectual, because after all I am. But that appearance does lead people to mistake me sometimes. For some reason, of all the discrimination I have suffered in my lifetime, the one that hurt the most was back when I worked at my student newspaper at university. I was in the newsroom, where several of us were talking about something to do with racial poverty. When I made a point (I don't remember exactly what), the news editor, who is brown-skinned, asked me something to the effect of what I could possibly know about being poor. It's true that I'm white-skinned, but I was also probably the poorest person in that room. He didn't know that, and maybe you don't know that any male who is not utterly disconnected from humanity can come to know and understand the evils of misogyny even without being a personal victim of it.

You are very good at being clear with your feelings. I appreciate your telling me that my earlier post dumbfounded and disturbed you. I hope this explanation eases your discomfort. Even so, I am wary of posting such an honest reply. Romantic breakups are a rotten time to be getting into arguments, and if this post doesn't ease your comforts then I have done nothing but add to your pile of frustrations, which I would really hate to do. Nevertheless, I gave it much thought and I am posting it anyway. There isn't much I can do for you, Saj. You are so often hurting and I always feel helpless to do anything to help you feel better, despite wishing that there was something I could do--because I empathize with your plight and also because I happen to think you're a good person. But there's not, not a thing I can do to help. The most I can do is respect you, and try and be your friend, and be honest with you when you ask me a serious question. So now you have my honest answer. Sexism isn't just an academic issue for me. I take it very, deeply personally. You cannot say I am not wounded by its existence in this world, or that I don't know about it--or at least you cannot say those things and be correct. In a thread dominated by people whose intellectual contributions I not only disrespect but in tush's case outright disdain, I hope that you, at least, will understand what I mean. If not, then at least I have made the effort.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2011, 11:17:52 am »
With that, I have definitely monopolized tush's ill-conceived crusade beyond what is appropriate. I'll leave this topic to those of you who care to participate in it.

To ZeaLitY: Go ahead and move Saj's post and my reply to another thread. Thanks.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2011, 11:33:50 am »
Thank you, Saj. And you are right.

No amount of reading, researching and devouring second-hand information can ever trump first hand experience. No amount of learning can synthesize the actual scars in the flesh and in the psyche of the victims. None of us here can ever comprehend the emotional and physical trauma that such victims undergo, and especially since we're the privileged lot. While I know what it feels like to be living in poverty or slums, while I have a good feeling what it feels like to be discriminated against simply because of our status and race, I can never understand the pain of those who were born without a voice, those who lost their limbs or sight, or those who are oppressed and mutilated just because someone finds it interesting.

But my nation is a mix of interesting diversity, where you'll find things one can't find anywhere else, where hell and heaven both exist. You will see the darker side of humanity, but you will also see angels who risk themselves to save someone in need. And I'm fortunate enough to be living in places similar to Maharashtra and Goa where folks are respectful and civilized, misogyny is nearly* non-existent -- here you can take an evening stroll and peek into the public life at its heart, and you will find women proudly proclaiming to be equal to men, and a few of those who actually claim to be superior to men -- and the public will gladly stand up to social injustices.

But there are also darker areas in my nation where women have no such privileges. They can't voice their despair. They can't stand up to the injustices. And there is no one to represent them, and their cries go unheard.

And hence the purpose of this thread. We are privileged enough to discuss about it, but at least we have a voice. Then so too must we defend the victims and provide them Agency, give them the freedom to speak for themselves. The least we can do is responsibly try, and I'll do my dang best to make sure no other woman suffers as Saj did.

*I say "nearly" for obvious reasons.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2011, 05:22:01 pm »
I'm gonna leave this here, regarding sex selectiveness in India. tushantin, let me know if you can't see it, because I think you've referenced this problem earlier. I'll try to find it on Youtube if the Yahoo embed isn't showing up for you.

I view it as an example of why campaigning for change at the cultural level is important. For one thing, it seems a bedrock cultural change has to go hand-in-hand with legal changes, because otherwise a corrective law might not even be seen as something to be enforced. Then again, this is a complex battle to wage in the first place: mothers must have autonomy over whether they carry their babies to term after all.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 07:03:30 pm by FaustWolf »