Author Topic: What's an awesome gameplay challenge?  (Read 936 times)

Vykan12

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
What's an awesome gameplay challenge?
« on: November 15, 2011, 10:03:32 am »
I'm trying to come up with an interesting gameplay challenge, something that's possibly never been done before. This may also involve using some codes at the beginning of the game to artificially increase the difficulty.

One idea is to hack in a wallet at the beginning of the game and perform a low-level game.

Another idea is to start a new game+, but then use a code to make all my units lv 1 with lv 1 stats and do an llg. This is similar to the idea above, except that I'd be loaded with awesome items (eg/ rainbow sword, gold studs), and know all techs to offset the difficulty a bit.

I've also heard that a playthrough where your characters are stuck with their initial equipment is quite interesting. No low-level restriction obviously since that would be outrageous.

So, what would you guys like to see? Ideally the playthrough will be challenging without being too much of a grind (no hour-long boss battles!). And remember that I have access to codes that can mess with items, techs learned, and unit levels and stats.

Manly Man

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Don't be a pussy. She looks legit.
    • View Profile
Re: What's an awesome gameplay challenge?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 03:19:33 am »
Beat all of the Lavos Spawn you happen upon by crushing the shell instead of its face.

Or, if you could, make it so that when a character dies, they don't revive with one hit point after the battle, and pull a solo game.

Vykan12

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 02:44:19 pm »
So I ended up taking my own advice and trying out my NG+ LLG idea. But instead of making all my units lv 1, I made them join at their starting levels + stats, which would be:

Crono lv 1
Marle lv 1
Lucca lv 2
Frog lv 5
Robo lv 10
Ayla lv 18
Magus lv 37

That's a party average of 6.17 before Magus joins, and 10.57 after he joins. In contrast, in a regular LLG the party average is 11.83 before Magus joins and 15.43 after he joins. On the upside, I have access to all equipment, techs and items, and allowed myself to max out everyone's speed using speed tabs. However, I banned the use of power and magic tabs for obvious reasons.

Well, as it turns out this challenge was a breeze for the most part. The rainbow sword alone can carry the team's offense for almost half the game. A lot of double/triple techs are broken even under an LLG restriction, in fact I'll name them:

Beast toss
Falcon hit
Twister
Drop kick
3D attack
Spin strike (requires silver rock)

Twister is especially ridiculous. I was clearing out entire groups of enemies in the tyrano lair and ocean palace using this attack. Even on sidequests it's still clearing most enemies in 1 hit. I thought random battles would be a chore in this kind of challenge, but they're actually as trivial as on a lv 50 team because of this double tech.

Another thing that kills this challenge, max speed + haste helm simply makes your team too fast to ever get into serious trouble. At times I was fitting in 3 triple techs before the boss could even react. Think how much time that gives me to revive dead units and use a lapis for healing. Also, many battles can be impossible to lose with the right choice of mail. For instance, red mail turns Tyrano, Rust Tyrano and Golem Twins into a joke, just to name a few.

I can only remember 3 battles that were truly challenging. Heckran was tricky because Marle and Lucca's magic damage was absolute rubbish. I mean antipod 3 was doing 300 damage. Still beats the 50-70 damage that Crono does from luminaire, heh :p Magus was a really fun fight, took a lot of thought to come up with a viable strategy. Super Slash, Flea Plus and Great Ozzie were also pretty challenging.

I abandoned this challenge after a few sidequests because it's just too easy without making further restrictions (eg/ no Robo or Ayla). Defensively, no boss could possibly defeat my team because I could always make a team of Crono, Robo and Marle that use lifeline, and use megaelixirs to heal. It would just be a matter of time before uzzi punches and rainbow sword crits take out the boss.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 10:15:51 pm by Vykan12 »

Vykan12

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 03:20:28 pm »
[TAS] Lavos defeated in 2:53
Lavos spawn no shell (not by me)

No clue how to hack for a legitimate solo. Any other ideas?

Synchronization

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 07:57:26 pm »
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 07:47:32 pm by Synchronization »