Author Topic: My First Published Novel, "The Vagrant's Tale"  (Read 960 times)

Clovis15

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
    • http://clovis15.deviantart.com
My First Published Novel, "The Vagrant's Tale"
« on: November 18, 2011, 04:29:06 am »
I have finally realized my dream of being an author with an actual physical book through the release of "The Vagrant's Tale", as well as my secondary hope that I get it all done before my mom's current cancer was able to take her. It took 2.5 years to write, and there were multiple times I didn't think I was going to pull through (I definitely fell off the writing horse more than once along the way). The ultimate key to finishing a book is to yell at yourself that you are going to sit down and write or else (being your own boss means having to be your own bad cop too).

By the way, did you know you can go quite mad rereading the same book 5 times in one summer? My first advice to anyone who's planning to publish a book is to hire an editor, this isn't something you want to be doing yourself *collapses exhaustedly*

DETIALS FROM THE BACK COVER:

"The nations of Skrande and Corsinthia clashed in a holy war for a century of conflict before the war ended. Not because their issues had ever been resolved, but because - after a century - both nations became financially bankrupt. Now charged with the care of Terus Kyreon, the son of a fallen friend, ex-soldier - Jysalef Soresh - hasn't been happy since the war drew to a standstill.

But when an important message sends him - against his desires - traipsing throughout the Corsinthian countryside, things become much more frustrating - and far more interesting - for the embittered vagrant swordsman."

BONUS FEATURES:

- Complete pronounciation guide of all names and terms
 - Additional never before seen 16 page epilogue

Createspace: https://www.createspace.com/3627225
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Vagrants-Tale-Clovis-Dye-Jr/dp/1463735359/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1321604288&sr=8-6

Furthermore, I'd like to take a moment to immensely thank a special CTU fan - whom wishes to remain anonymous - for helping me to be able to commision the artwork for the book's cover.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 04:55:19 am by Clovis15 »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Re: My First Published Novel, "The Vagrant's Tale"
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 04:43:10 am »
Woot woot woot! Félicitations, mon auteur!

And, yes, rereading gets maddening--the more so because you start to miss stuff. (You even missed something in your post here.) But don't worry! The book is in print and the point is made!

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 09:38:22 am »
Congrats! Seeing that I'm writing a novel of my own, let's hope I follow in the same steps and get something actually published! Awesome, man!

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 11:20:01 am »
Congrats, Clovis! Hopefully the novel can earn you plenty for your mother's cancer. That's... morbid. I'm sorry about the turn of events there, and I wish you fortune.

Is the book internationally published? (I'm not familiar with CreateSpace) If so, I await the book to arrive in India so I can order it via Flipkart or buy it at Landmark.

Also, I think I know who made that book art. But my guess is as good as anyone's.  :?

The ultimate key to finishing a book is to yell at yourself that you are going to sit down and write or else (being your own boss means having to be your own bad cop too).
I need to yell at myself too from time to time. :cry: Everyone's getting published, but I'm lagging behind.

Clovis15

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 04:58:38 pm »
The book is shipped internationally through Amazon. Createspace is an independant print-on-demand publishing option owned by Amazon. Sorry about the inconvenience that may cause, but you'll have to place out of the US orders through Amazon's website (I made sure to check the box that Amazon was permitted to ship the product anywhere in the world). If you do read the book, be sure to let me know what you thought of it (reviews on Amazon itself are good too).

In some ways, knowing someone is going to die is better - not that there is anything good about someone dying - than just having it happened suddenly and horrificly. You are given an ample opportunity to come to terms with the upcoming reality, and accept it, before the horrible day finally happens. One day coming home and hearing your mom was in car wreck would be a lot harder to adjust to, at least I think so...

By the way, if you need a test reader - or maybe a proof reader - I'm willing to help.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 05:00:57 pm by Clovis15 »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 05:32:09 pm »
By the way, did you know you can go quite mad rereading the same book 5 times in one summer? My first advice to anyone who's planning to publish a book is to hire an editor, this isn't something you want to be doing yourself *collapses exhaustedly*

Hahaha. Reminds me of Chrono Trigger. Ask me if I still enjoy playing it...

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 05:46:12 pm »
The book is shipped internationally through Amazon. Createspace is an independant print-on-demand publishing option owned by Amazon.
Ah, that's a problem there. While I finally got a Debit Card, neither do I have much money in the bank nor does the bank allow me to use it for international transactions yet (they haven't even heard of Paypal). Hmm, I'll see if I can get it hooked up.

You are given an ample opportunity to come to terms with the upcoming reality, and accept it, before the horrible day finally happens.
Hah, you said the words of wisdom there.

By the way, if you need a test reader - or maybe a proof reader - I'm willing to help.
Thanks! I'll keep that in mind.  8) I just wish I could help you in return somehow.

Clovis15

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 09:29:25 pm »
Hahaha. Reminds me of Chrono Trigger. Ask me if I still enjoy playing it...

While I greatly appreciated the improved quality of the translation, it felt like an arduous chore to reslog through CT yet again when I got the DS game. Although I did really like the Lost Sanctum and Dimensional Distortion, and how they made some better connections between CT and CC. That they weren't something I'd already played through a ton of times over and over probably didn't hurt in that regard.