Author Topic: The Immortals (film)  (Read 1159 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
The Immortals (film)
« on: November 11, 2011, 09:20:45 am »
See it. See it in 2D if possible. Give Tarsem your money hand over fist.

It was amazing. Patriarchal, as ancient myths tend to be, but amazing, and visually breathtaking. I have no fucking idea why it has 44% on rottentomatoes. Ebert gave it 1.5 stars because he "didn't understand what was going on half the time". I don't know why Ebert, who I usually agree with, has had such a lapse of judgment here or an inability to comprehend this movie, which more than adequately exlains its plot. It's Tarsem, so it's visually...godly. It's like Keats's imagery brought to life.

This man must be funded. He is creating original works in Hollywood's sea of shit. There must be more.

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
Re: The Immortals (film)
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 12:45:02 pm »
I was going to avoid this with utmost disdain because the trailer was reminiscent of 300 (a movie for which my loathing is a generosity) and because every recent rendition of Greek anything in cinema has made me froth at the mouth, but you said the magic words: John Keats.

If you promise it's worthwhile, fuck, I'll see it.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 12:48:47 pm by Syna »

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 03:50:37 pm »
Same here. The trailer itself didn't appeal to me for the same reason, but when I read Z's post I was like, "What the hell" and thought I'd go see.

Except mah friends are going to Immortals tomorrow and Tintin the day after, and since I can afford only ONE movie, I think I know which one to go for. XD

Hint: One of these movies had its script written by a Doctor Who producer.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 06:29:26 pm »
I was going to avoid this with utmost disdain because the trailer was reminiscent of 300 (a movie for which my loathing is a generosity) and because every recent rendition of Greek anything in cinema has made me froth at the mouth, but you said the magic words: John Keats.

If you promise it's worthwhile, fuck, I'll see it.

It's still patriarchal as obedient to the myth, of course. As it goes, it's a "male power drama". But there isn't exploitative nudity, and the female characters seem aptly framed in the myth. It also isn't juvenile as all living fuck like 300, despite the fact that they're advertising like mad that it has the same producers.

The magic word is Tarsem. I don't want you to waste your money on what might suck or anything, so if you want to get a feel for Tarsem, get "The Fall" (2006). He is visually amazing. That movie (and you must watch it in Blu-ray) is a visual orgasm. He filmed the entire thing on location across the world, finding some of the most visually incredible places and completely illuminating them. Ebert went nuts over The Fall and said there wasn't another movie like it (although his Immortals review says that has now changed).

I didn't like 300 either, of course. It was a jingoistic muscle-fuck. Theseus is at least humble, sensitive, and believable. And Mickey Rourke as Hyperion, damn. DAMN. If he took over Greece I would head to Africa and keep going as far south as possible and never look back.

Some examples of Tarsem from The Fall (nothing spoiled beyond what the trailer depicts):

« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 06:32:42 pm by ZeaLitY »

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 06:38:09 pm »
And Mickey Rourke as Hyperion, damn. DAMN.
Ooookay, that got me sold.

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 11:21:54 pm »
Ohh, Tarsem! I actually saw The Fall in theaters way back when and it was awesome! Hells yeah.

I think I just heard "from the producers of 300" and tuned out everything else about it. I've been burned by so many Greek myth movies.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 12:54:04 am »
It was a jingoistic muscle-fuck.

That is my favorite quote of the day.