Author Topic: Massive Chrono Trigger game design textbook/resource project  (Read 3060 times)

TGDF

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Massive Chrono Trigger game design textbook/resource project
« on: March 14, 2012, 11:45:46 pm »
Hello Chrono Compendium!

Some colleagues and I are working on a project to completely reverse-engineer all the game design decisions that went into Chrono Trigger.  We recently did the same thing for Final Fantasy 6.  That resulted in over 30,000 words and more than twenty graphs and figures worth of analysis.  You can see it here: http://thegamedesignforum.com/features/reverse_design_ff6_1.html.  There are eight pages to the reverse design in all.

In any case, we'd really like to do the same thing for Chrono Trigger--to create a complete and authoritative design analysis covering every aspect of the game.  The previous project, however, took hundreds of combined hours from multiple people, some software upgrades, and a bunch of other stuff, so we decided to launch a Kickstarter to fund the project.  The goal is actually quite small ($500), and we're about 30% of the way there with 3 weeks to go, but every little bit helps.

If you think your site and community could use this kind of resource, we'd love the help for the Kickstarter.  You can read more about it to http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/144457690/reverse-design-chrono-trigger.  Also, let us know if you have any questions about either project.  You can post here or shoot a question to submissions@thegamedesignforum.com

Synchronization

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Re: Massive Chrono Trigger game design textbook/resource project
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 04:59:30 pm »
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 07:30:48 pm by Synchronization »

TGDF

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 11:10:35 am »
Hello again!

Thanks for all the support you guys have given us; we've reached our funding goal for Chrono Trigger!  That's not the end, though--we've already blazed through stretch goals for Super Mario World and Half Life.  Our next goal is $1500 for FINAL FANTASY 7.  I know there are a lot CT fans who love FF7 as well.  If you're interested in seeing a massive analysis of the same quality for FF7, throw us a few bucks, we're about $350 away.  Here's the link: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/144457690/reverse-design-chrono-trigger

Thanks so much to the CC community, we love you guys.

TheMage

• Artist of Termina
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Dreaming through time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 03:05:10 pm »
Yey for reaching the funding goal!

Prince Janus

• Mystical Knight (+700)
  • What?? what do you want?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 07:08:45 pm »
 I don't know if you guys have read it, but on the subject of game design decisions, you might want to have a look at this too:

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/HugoBille/20120114/9236/The_Invisible_Hand_of_Super_Metroid.php

It's not for Chrono Trigger (or even an RPG for that matter. At least not one with talking, top-down, or action commands :P ), but who knows? It might prove useful.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 12:32:31 am »
Sweet, glad to see this rolling. I worried I was too late in moving it to the front page.

rushingwind

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 02:03:10 am »
Your Final Fantasy 6 project is nothing short of amazing. I'm psyched that you guys want to do the same thing for Chrono Trigger!

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 05:57:29 am »
The FF6 project was quite good. I'm glad to see CT will be getting the same treatment!

gatotsu911

• Guardian (+100)
  • Where Angels Lose Their Way...
    • View Profile
    • TAFKA (my blog)
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 02:13:59 am »
Neat site concept you got here. Have you made any attempt at garnering publicity within the greater gaming blogosphere? I'm sure some Gamasutra types might be interested in this.