Author Topic: My thoughts on the baddest girl in Prehistory...  (Read 4327 times)

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Re: My thoughts on the baddest girl in Prehistory...
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2011, 08:12:01 pm »
It's a tempting possibility, for it sets precedent and undermines a wide swath of sexist arguments from another direction--which can only help. But tempting possibilities deserve just as much skepticism as the rest. Previously I had accepted the popular myth of matriarchal societies in ancient times, yet in my curiosity I've looked into this proposition a fair bit over the years and found no evidence at all that these societies ever actually existed. I can't name a single known society that entrusted females with conspicuous power, outside of modern times. Even societies which maintained key religious roles for females, or purported to worship the female form or its reproductive ability, did not apparently entrust executive power to females, nor did they apparently invest females with the same civil liberties as males.

Either my studies, by their incompleteness, are missing significant instances of ancient female empowerment, or the historical record itself, by its own incompleteness, is missing the same...or...we are living in unprecedented times and the actual societal empowerment of females is completely new.

Manly Man

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Don't be a pussy. She looks legit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2011, 05:29:08 am »
Honestly, I think the hierarchy of the Iokans is more about who is the most able in more ways than not. Ayla would be a prime candidate for pretty much any sort of society, were she adapted to that era's standards. Physically, rationally and philosophically she's superior to pretty much everyone of that era, save Azala, to whom she still outdoes in physical prowess. With just how able she is, it's of little wonder that she's chief; she rules her tribe, and does so for good reason.

Kino, it seems, is able to take notice of things overlooked by most, such as the amount of attention Ayla seems to be giving the three that arrive, especially Crono, who he more than likely perceives as competition as a mate, not just the childish jealousy that it's made out to be in-game. He also managed to take the Gate Key without anyone noticing- given, they were all hammered, but still- so he had some measure of dexterity, not to mention what had to have been distinct cleverness, as displayed in the Tyranno Lair, where he leads a group of humans out of the stronghold with, apparently, nobody getting hurt. To do that in a castle full of dinosaurs would take some brains, not to mention brass balls. Based on that, he would probably have ended up becoming the next chief, even if Ayla hadn't connected with him as she did. Though in comparison to Ayla he may have been a weakling- then again, the only one on your team, and probably in the entire world, who isn't just that is Crono- he was by no means incapable. Therefore, it would make sense that Ayla would have said that he was to rule if she died at some point, since she trusted him and his abilities to lead the Iokans.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2011, 07:28:51 am »
That's generally my interpretation, too.

ChaosWolf

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Stylish As Hell.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2011, 07:37:07 pm »
That's generally my interpretation, too.

Works for me too.  And BTW, nice sig, Lord J... very appropriate for this thread.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2011, 11:35:55 pm »
What can I say? She's the baddest of Prehistory. =)

ChaosWolf

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Stylish As Hell.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2011, 10:58:15 pm »
What can I say? She's the baddest of Prehistory. =)
And possibly the rest of Time too, depending who you ask.

Manly Man

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Don't be a pussy. She looks legit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2011, 03:46:39 am »
She is the one reason that Lavos is afraid of being punched in the face.

ChaosWolf

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Stylish As Hell.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2011, 09:11:28 pm »
She is the one reason that Lavos is afraid of being punched in the face.

Which says a lot, considering that he basically has no face.

xcalibur

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2011, 11:45:22 pm »
Ayla the ubermensch is definitely awesome. The only reason I didn't use her consistently is because she makes the game less of a challenge at times.

Ayla was always in my party. Battle-wise I thought she was the only character who could match Crono's strength. She had a very cool and sexy design too.

However, it is obvious though that her character was not developped enough. She doesn't even have a sidequest at the end. We don't know how she became chief and have no idea how her relation with Kino evolved. This is I believe the reason she isn't so popular.

I always felt that prehistory in general could've been more filled out. I mean there is a story arc and some interesting stuff, but the whole eastern side of the map is left empty.

ChaosWolf

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Stylish As Hell.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2011, 02:53:32 pm »
However, it is obvious though that her character was not developped enough. She doesn't even have a sidequest at the end. We don't know how she became chief and have no idea how her relation with Kino evolved. This is I believe the reason she isn't so popular.

I always felt that prehistory in general could've been more filled out. I mean there is a story arc and some interesting stuff, but the whole eastern side of the map is left empty.

Glad to see I wasn't alone in noticing this distinct oversight.  Or was it an oversight?  It's been suggested elsewhere as being possible - and an idea that I agree with - that either time constraints or memory space prevented them from having as much content for each of the characters as they wanted, and for whatever reason, Ayla's stuff was the first one to hit the choppingblock instead of the rest.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 03:39:23 pm by ChaosWolf »