Poll

Which version should someone who has never played CT play first?

SNES (The original!)
PS1 (Animations!)
DS (Bonus Dungeons!)
Emulator (Retranslation!)

Author Topic: Which version should someone who has never played CT play first?  (Read 5432 times)

Prisoner of Time

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
I have been a Chrono Trigger fanatic since the SNES cartridge was released.  It remains my favorite game of all time.  My girlfriend and I have been playing older video games and somewhere along the line we are going to play Chrono Trigger.  I have all of the releases and have played through each many times in addition to Chrono Cross and Radical Dreamers.  She has never heard of the game.  I wanted to post a poll and see what the community thinks.  I have been following the Compendium since 2004.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
Re: Which version should someone who has never played CT play first?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 06:16:21 pm »
Can't go wrong with the classic. My vote's on original.

Reason: If the original snes version wasn't as good as it is, we wouldn't have any sequels or re-releases at all! ;-)

Dreamer Kinsurk

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 07:05:51 pm »
It would be a hard decision for me.

Blasting through the original, and of nearly any game not just CT, is usually always a safe-bet.. but the other versions of CT aren't too bad either. The PS1 has those nifty cutscenes. Not much, but they're neat and I think pretty well made. I hear it has abysmal load times though. The DS plays similar to the original, but with a few extra features that might make it more relaxing (Health bars. I like knowing how much health my enemy has left. And SightScope or whatever it's called uses up a valuable accessory slot). The monster arena seems like it might be neat, but I've not tried it.

I'm going with the ''safest'' decision, and gonna say just hit up the original first.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 09:34:58 pm »
I'm a purist, so I say go with the original. Then, when she's ready to do it again, move to the DS to play. If she still really finds herself loving the series, I would recommend the retranslation rom. Oh, and don't forget to play Chrono Cross somewhere in there!!!

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 09:37:32 pm »
I'd say the DS version of the script is just about the mid-way point between the SNES and the Compendium Retranslation, so it's funny that you ordered them that way.

The only things I don't like about going between all the different versions is the enemy names keep changing.

Also, PoT: if you go for a retranslation of CT make sure it's not one of those "parody" retranslations. They're not really parodies, they're just vulgar half-jokes randomly compiled in a clumsy fashion.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 09:39:53 pm by Mr Bekkler »

hiddensquire

• Guardian (+100)
  • Seeker of wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 02:16:34 am »
DS version.  Even though one of the new dungeons is arguably a step backwards for the game, it is overall better.  Plus, you get the same animations as the PS1 version, without the long loading times.  To top it off, you can play it anywhere~

Prisoner of Time

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 10:36:29 am »
The only downside to the DS is that we are going to be playing it together so a handheld screen is less convenient.

Bard_of_Time

• Guardian (+100)
  • Music changes history, you know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 11:14:13 am »
If you're playing it with a friend watching, go for the SNES version. Bigger screen, you can giggle at Woosleyisms, etc.. Share with her some info on what was changed in each revision (DS version, retranslation, that sort of thing). On top of that, you can kick back in a big comfy chair and she won't be like RIGHT over your shoulder. Don't know about you, but that freaks me out.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 03:59:32 pm »
She has never heard of the game.
*gasp* That's blasphemy!

Reason: If the original snes version wasn't as good as it is, we wouldn't have any sequels or re-releases at all! ;-)
What he said. XD

I say, stay away from the PSX version, the load times might just frustrate ya. Though if you're a fan of cutscenes (which would also appeal to your girlfriend) go with DS, since it also lets you play whenever you're out and about. Plus it "sort of" bridges the gap between CT and CC. Although, I LOVED the script of the original more than the DS or re-translated, but that's just me; so if you don't own a DS but do have an Android phone, original it is.  :wink:

The only downside to the DS is that we are going to be playing it together so a handheld screen is less convenient.
Er... okay, scratch the portability idea. Just remember to cuddle her when she freaks out at Magus' castle.  :lol:

Prisoner of Time

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 09:27:07 pm »
I remember the first time I played the DS game on the release date.  My reaction was "The Mystics aren't Mystics" and "Frog doesn't talk like Frog."  Of course this was before I knew of the literal translation and the fact that the "original" was not the original.

The Mystics will always be Mystics in my mind.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 11:11:14 pm »
I remember the first time I played the DS game on the release date.  My reaction was "The Mystics aren't Mystics" and "Frog doesn't talk like Frog."  Of course this was before I knew of the literal translation and the fact that the "original" was not the original.

The Mystics will always be Mystics in my mind.

In my mind's fanon, Mystic is the PC term and Fiend is the derogatory term.

Redline57

• Guardian (+100)
  • Crimson Echoes rocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2017, 03:45:04 am »
As a purist myself, definitely the SNES version. I was leaning toward a re-translation, not for authenticity sake, but solely for that like 'someone close to you' at the end of time, as it drove me nuts on my first play through looking for another quest that wasn't there.

Now that I think about it, as a purist I'd go for the retranslated version.

On second thought, I grew up with Frog's awesome accent, so, again, original version.