Zenan Plains - Site Discussion > Polling

Which version should someone who has never played CT play first?

(1/3) > >>

Prisoner of Time:
I have been a Chrono Trigger fanatic since the SNES cartridge was released.  It remains my favorite game of all time.  My girlfriend and I have been playing older video games and somewhere along the line we are going to play Chrono Trigger.  I have all of the releases and have played through each many times in addition to Chrono Cross and Radical Dreamers.  She has never heard of the game.  I wanted to post a poll and see what the community thinks.  I have been following the Compendium since 2004.

Mr Bekkler:
Can't go wrong with the classic. My vote's on original.

Reason: If the original snes version wasn't as good as it is, we wouldn't have any sequels or re-releases at all! ;-)

Dreamer Kinsurk:
It would be a hard decision for me.

Blasting through the original, and of nearly any game not just CT, is usually always a safe-bet.. but the other versions of CT aren't too bad either. The PS1 has those nifty cutscenes. Not much, but they're neat and I think pretty well made. I hear it has abysmal load times though. The DS plays similar to the original, but with a few extra features that might make it more relaxing (Health bars. I like knowing how much health my enemy has left. And SightScope or whatever it's called uses up a valuable accessory slot). The monster arena seems like it might be neat, but I've not tried it.

I'm going with the ''safest'' decision, and gonna say just hit up the original first.

Boo the Gentleman Caller:
I'm a purist, so I say go with the original. Then, when she's ready to do it again, move to the DS to play. If she still really finds herself loving the series, I would recommend the retranslation rom. Oh, and don't forget to play Chrono Cross somewhere in there!!!

Mr Bekkler:
I'd say the DS version of the script is just about the mid-way point between the SNES and the Compendium Retranslation, so it's funny that you ordered them that way.

The only things I don't like about going between all the different versions is the enemy names keep changing.

Also, PoT: if you go for a retranslation of CT make sure it's not one of those "parody" retranslations. They're not really parodies, they're just vulgar half-jokes randomly compiled in a clumsy fashion.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version