Author Topic: Games which are similar to Chrono Trigger  (Read 3784 times)

Nexus

• Porrean (+50)
  • Choose your own path.
    • View Profile
Re: Games which are similar to Chrono Trigger
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2011, 07:58:52 pm »
I wouldn't say the Golden Sun series is akin to Chrono Trigger, but they do have that SNES-era nostalgic feel. And they're great games! The gameplay of a traditional JRPG with the puzzle elements of a Zelda game... Can't recommend the series highly enough!

The Golden Sun series is a classic RPG, it was one of the few games that stood out during the GBA period.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2011, 10:07:53 pm »
The Golden Sun series is a classic RPG, it was one of the few games that stood out during the GBA period.

...And continues to stand out in the DS/3DS period, hahaha...

gatotsu911

• Guardian (+100)
  • Where Angels Lose Their Way...
    • View Profile
    • TAFKA (my blog)
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2011, 11:14:28 pm »
Good to see they've been mentioned already, but Xenogears and Radiant Historia are probably good places to start. I'd also recommend checking out Secret of Mana and the Dragon Quest series, too.

ChronoMoogle

• Returners
  • Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2011, 12:47:23 pm »
Okay, Dragon Quest has the same Character Designer and is somewhat the ancestor of many 90s RPGs... but what is similar to Chrono Trigger in Secret of Mana? O___o

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2011, 05:26:00 pm »
Okay, Dragon Quest has the same Character Designer and is somewhat the ancestor of many 90s RPGs... but what is similar to Chrono Trigger in Secret of Mana? O___o

Check my first post :-) http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php/topic,9287.0.html

I think it's similar in that the game is an RPG but the battles don't disappear and take you to another screen. The battle system and gameplay are COMPLETELY different, but both would appeal to someone who likes Zelda better than Earthbound, for example.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2011, 09:57:17 pm »
When I first got Secret of Mana in 1996, I named Randi (spiky red-haired protagonist) Crono. Purim, the blonde-haired princess of Pandora, was likewise named Marle. Popoie, the pink-haired sprite that I though was a little girl, was named... Gosh, I can't remember!

gatotsu911

• Guardian (+100)
  • Where Angels Lose Their Way...
    • View Profile
    • TAFKA (my blog)
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2011, 01:29:46 am »
Elaborating on Dragon Quest, I think after playing a bit you will come to appreciate Yuji Horii's influence on Chrono Trigger. It's hard to pin down, but much of the tone and style of the game (apart from the Toriyama character designs) were clearly influenced by him, in ways that are much easier to appreciate if one has played a bit of Dragon Quest.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2011, 08:45:30 am »
Yeah now that I think about it, CT does feel rather like Dragon Quest, in tone and style (obviously the latter). It's no surprise considering the influence DQ has on Japan's RPGs in general.

Radiant Historia has time travel and all but it doesn't really remind me of the Chrono series at all, besides the music. That said, what I've played of it is excellent and it's well worth checking out.

I wouldn't say the Golden Sun series is akin to Chrono Trigger, but they do have that SNES-era nostalgic feel. And they're great games! The gameplay of a traditional JRPG with the puzzle elements of a Zelda game... Can't recommend the series highly enough!

Problem is it's only popular due to nostalgia and the novelty of having a portable rpg. Having played them again, the Golden Sun games are incredibly generic and far too easy (mainly due to summons). I couldn't sit through much of Dark Dawn because it was just so stale, and it suffers the same big issue as 1 and 2: no-one ever shuts up.

ChronoMoogle

• Returners
  • Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2011, 07:43:08 pm »
I played Dragon Quest IV to VI (seriously... I need to track down III!) and yep, the athmosphere is pretty similar at some points.

About Golden Sun: Dark Dawn is the black sheep in the series. The last boss only needs all your summons for 1 time to be defeated.... If you remember the bosses from 1 and 2 it comes to mind that its pretty unbalanced since the others were at least a bit challenging and the last boss was truly epic. Overall, Dark Dawn is a decent game because of its puzzles and nice athmosphere but the rpg part and story just fails.

:(

Yellow card for Camelot!