Author Topic: Dimensional split and time travel  (Read 3036 times)

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Dimensional split and time travel
« on: July 06, 2005, 02:39:09 pm »
Just a random question. If someone lives past the dimensional split of 1,010 AD there would be 2 versions of them right? Now what would happen if both of them time-travel back before 1,010 AD, can both of them do that?

Ryuusai

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 02:42:06 pm »
They can both time travel but I think they would still be in their own dimensions.

Legend of the Past

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 02:47:31 pm »
Hmm, I'm not sure anyone CAN travel before 1010 AD in Home World. Home World didn't exist before that.... Maybe he'll be sent to some D-Distortion instead?

Sentenal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2005, 02:47:53 pm »
Well...  Thats a good question.  Home and Another are the same dimension pre-1010, so they should be able to time travel to the past, and that would make 2 versions of them...

DarkGizmo

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2005, 02:50:03 pm »
wierd I always see dimensions like this (this is a timeline)

..............................................._______________________
............................................../
-----------------------------------<
..............................................\_______________________

but now that I think of it it must split to the very root of time

Legend of the Past

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005, 02:50:46 pm »
Yes, but if the dimensions split, woulden't that mean they can't go back to a single dimension, even through Time Travel? If Home World existed before 1010 AD, I guess they would just see the same events in both Dimensions. But it didn't exist, now did it?

Sentenal

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2005, 02:59:42 pm »
They are split, but prior to 1010, that are the same dimension.

DarkGizmo

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2005, 03:02:55 pm »
there is nothing telling this sicne you can't actually time travel but maybe the plit was like this :

making it possible to time travel and not seeing a double of yourself because they woudl probably merge since they split in the split

Ryuusai

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2005, 03:07:57 pm »
That would be wierd then.

Seeing yourself from another dimension while time traveling back into the past.

jotabe1789

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2005, 08:14:11 am »
problem is: when you time travel, are you really confined to your own "dimension"?  :lol:

DarkGizmo

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2005, 01:32:30 pm »
Yes...

I don't think that when you time travel you have any chance of getting in the Reptite dimension

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2005, 02:16:32 pm »
The question is whether the dimensional split is retroactive; that when Home world shot off, if it extended backwards as well. There's really no elaboration on that; if it does, then there are two dimensions before the split (at least for the duration of the split), which is problematic, and if it doesn't, we have the question here. Weird.

Shadow_Dragon

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2005, 10:11:49 pm »
I've always thought of split dimensions as always seperate, but with identical events prior to the 'split'
For example, it wouldn't make sense for someone in Another World in 1015AD to go back in time to 1000AD, left some object, and have the object appear in Another World until 1015AD and have 2 versions of the object in Home World forever (unless something temporal happens to it)

So, my theory is, that if an object is sent back in time from Another World in 1015AD to 1000AD, it'll appear only in Another World's history, not Home World's; however, this'll cause the 'root of the split' to be further down the timeline, and the way I think of it is this: if you take a string made up of 2 smaller strings tied together, and unravel it a bit, that represents the 2 dimensions normally, but if you travel down past the point where the 2 strings are together, the split continues down, but I don't think I described that well enough to make sense...

Sentenal

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2005, 10:22:50 pm »
But the thing about that goes directly agianst what Miguel said about timelines.  Dimensional creation are special cases, and we know that Home didn't always exist, as it was created when Serge did not die.

Here is my thought:  If both versions (home and another) travel to pre-1010, there would be 2 versions of them. Appearing.  They are different enough not to be Time Bastards, I think.

DarkGizmo

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2005, 12:12:13 am »
If we see a time line has a string, the Dimension split would have split the string in 2 part, Home and Another.

Now if you goes back in time would would see the string streching to the very "begining of time" in both dimension, having absolutly no link anymore with the other dimension, "timeline wise".

That make sense, but what about if you traveled in a dimension and did a major change to the timeline, would they still be "linked" together?

If we don't talk about time travel but accept the idea that, the string divided itself in 2 and then the connection point went backward in time to the very begining. We would have two different timelines still existing, having no link together, right?

If I put that like twins and siamese twin (2 persons atatched together that are exactly like twins). You have theory 1 which the two dimension are attached together in 1010 AD if I remember correctly, you go back in 1000 AD where they are the same and "hurt" the timeline, both dimension gets "hurted". Kinda like siamese twins hurt one the body, both mind feel the pain. Now theory 2, the dimension strech to the "begining of time" having no link together, same thing hurt the timelines, onyl one is affected, like ordinary twins.

Now if the dimension streched to the begining of time, having no link we couldn't travel between the two, kind of like you'll never find a way to go to the reptite dimension because they have no link whatsoever together.

Maybe if you time travel back a timeline is created, it would memorize when you are, then go to the main timeline and take this section of the timeline and copy/paste it before the split. Now a new link would be made exactly before when you arrive, setting a new link between the two, prior to that point everything is the same.

With that theory you could go back to the "beginning of time" +1 and there would always be a link between the two.

What do you think, it go way longer that U even though I could write :P