Author Topic: Chrono Trigger: Episode I July update  (Read 3069 times)

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Chrono Trigger: Episode I July update
« on: July 13, 2011, 01:25:24 am »
After a months-long hiatus, an update to my Chrono Trigger novel project is finally ready for the Compendium's review.  For those unfamiliar with the project, it is a very ambitious undertaking with four key goals:

#1. Reinvent the Chrono Trigger mythos for a new generation of fans while staying true to the core story and spirit of the original game.
#2. Establish what happened at the end of Chrono Cross and the ultimate legacy of Schala's actions.
#3. Incorporate certain characters and situations from selected fan projects into a unified vision.
#4. Establish a definitive beginning, middle, and end to the Chrono mythos encompassing four full-length novels.

The latest chapters of Episode I can be found here: http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php/topic,9376.0.html
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 01:25:17 am by FaustWolf »

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: Chrono Trigger: Episode I July update
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 06:29:23 pm »
I still can't grasp the fixation on making a novel of Chrono Trigger, especially when the game's story can hardly be considered an epic or anything. Plus doesn't most of the enjoyment come from the fact that it's a fun video game?

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 06:52:07 pm »
What's most interesting to me when people embark on a large project like this isn't the canon -- we already know what's going to happen -- but the little non-canon things that creep into the work (and sometimes the BIG non-canon things that creep into the work!). In fanfiction, and especially ones that re-tread ground already covered in the original medium, the differences and extra detail reveal something about the writer's thinking process, how they're wrestling with the nuances of storytelling. There's something precious in having a front row seat to someone's artistic growth like that.

That's what I believe. At least for now. Now, if more of us just had time to read it thoroughly and give constructive criticism. Alas, the writer's road is so often a lonely one.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 06:54:28 pm by FaustWolf »

justinstcharlesmusic

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • Echoes of the Algorithms
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 05:09:05 pm »
@Romana allow me to help you understand, so that perhaps in the future you will encourage creative undertakings rather than undermine/discourage them.

Those of us that are gifted with the ability to creatively express ourselves (whichever avenue it may be) are fueled by inspiration made possible by...other artists. That would be the same reason I decided to make a CT tribute album some time ago. I grew up playing CT ever since the summer of 95', and later in life I became a producer. The music in CT has always stuck with me, and was partially responsible for contributing to the development of my creative drive. The album I made was in thanks of that, as well as for any other CT fan that loved the music as much as I did.

So.

It's the same with this writer here. The rich and epic story line of CT stayed with him...and surely helped to inspire his creative drive. I would go as far as to say that his novel concept is also partially in thanks for CT itself, just as my tribute album was. There is also a strong possibility that several CT fans would enjoy his writing.

In any event, even if you still don't agree - you aren't losing or gaining anything...next time don't go out of your way to blow an artist's buzz. Compositions in any form, are a delicate process. Please be respectful of it. Negativity is cancer to an artist.

Thanks.

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 12:04:06 am »
I still can't grasp the fixation on making a novel of Chrono Trigger, especially when the game's story can hardly be considered an epic or anything. Plus doesn't most of the enjoyment come from the fact that it's a fun video game?

I can understand how silly it sounds to write a novel based on a video game.  Twenty years ago I might have felt the same way.  That attitude changed when Final Fantasy IV (II in the U.S.) came out.  That game more than any other before it demonstrated to me that the video-game medium could actually tell an engrossing story.  It wasn't just about the gameplay, though it was very very good.  FF IV could have easily been just another dungeon crawler and still sold plenty of copies, but Squaresoft put heart into it by making us actually care about the characters.  We didn't just have Paladin, Dragoon, White Mage, Black Mage, etc.  We had Cecil, Kain, Rosa, and Rydia, and more than a few other memorable characters.  What Chrono Trigger did four years later was take that same formula and make an even more memorable experience, arguably the most memorable experience of its kind even by today's standards.

So why write a novel?  For all of the storytelling strides gaming has made over the years, I've come to understand that as a storytelling device games are still limited.  To maintain the player's interest they have to be fast-paced and always giving the player something to do, so detail and believability are often eschewed.  A novel can be both fast-paced and believable, if written well enough, and can slow down when it needs to.  Certainly, Chrono Trigger was enjoyable from a gameplay standpoint, but its story is what really stands out.  What would that story look like if the limiting video-game conventions were taken out? (Such as Crono being a mute, or the Conservation of Time Theorem limiting the party to three members?)  That is the question I am exploring here.  And I am not the first to try.

Romana, your attitude strikes me as the same kind of attitude held by the current executives of Square/Enix: “It's just a video-game.  What's the big deal?  Move on. (and buy our next game)”  It's the attitude that has prevented the production of a third installment of the series, or looking at the story through a different medium, like film.  It is a difficult thing to explain in a post, but Chrono Trigger has transcended the medium it was originally told in.  With the skeleton of canon, fans of various disciplines, from artists to composers to writers, have been steadily giving the story its true shape.  What Chrono Trigger truly is is a modern fairy-tale full of memorable characters and incredible adventures.  That may not have been the original intent of Squaresoft, but that is what's happened.  I'm trying to take all of the bits and pieces people have made over the years to discover the complete picture of that fairy-tale, and redefine the story on those terms.  Chrono Trigger is an epic, it just hasn't been fully realized yet because the original game was a limited storytelling device.

justinstcharlesmusic

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • Echoes of the Algorithms
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 12:17:16 am »
I still can't grasp the fixation on making a novel of Chrono Trigger, especially when the game's story can hardly be considered an epic or anything.

Second thing I would address is, if you don't think CT is "considered an epic or anything"...well the obvious question becomes: what are you doing here? Ya, we have things relating to Chrono Cross, Radical Dreamers and etc - but it all began with Chrono Trigger my friend...and imo (and I know im not alone) CT is more epic than any of the other titles...that Squaresoft has ever released since.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 12:31:16 am by justinstcharlesmusic »