Author Topic: Gaiden entry: Another Place, Another Time ~Fata Morgana~  (Read 5297 times)

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Gaiden entry: Another Place, Another Time ~Fata Morgana~
« on: July 11, 2011, 08:20:03 pm »
~~~~

“It’s your dream, isn’t it?”

The brother blinked moistened eyes at him. “Huh?”

Beck lowered his voice conspiratorially. “Becoming Seneschal. It’s your – dream.” He dared to reach out to the animal again and this time Alfador accepted his gloved hand running along its ears. “The capstone of your life. The thought of it gives you the power to carry on and burst through every obstacle, no matter how bleak things seem at present.”

The brother cleared his throat. “Yea. You’re right, I guess it is. I’m gonna be a really great Seneschal someday. Nothing will stop me.”

~~~~

I want to say up front that I have a number of people to thank for the inspiration for this one, and I think some of ZeaLitY's own language crept in in bits and pieces here and there. You'll also notice a famous quote from Stalin, and if you're a uber Dead Can Dance fan there's even an Easter Egg in there for you too.

Chiefly, this was directly inspired by ZeaLitY's "Alphard and Demeria", which you can find in the 2007 Dream Splash! "Fata Morgana" was meant to accompany a huge fan project called Angelus Errare: Heroes Unsung, another fangame that was to have built further on the Crimson Echoes legendarium. Naturally it's still twisting and turning in fits of development hell -- thanks to the 2009 C&D, but also to my own intellectual journey, which has effectively halted it while I'm on hiatus and developing my artistic skillset.

My man Boo the Gentleman Caller, my man Thought, my man Satoh, and my man Tushantin had a lot to do with the mood and environmental details. I think it was either Thought or Satoh who came up with the Ahqz, a short acronym for "All Hail Queen Zeal." I think I've got the grammar right now when referring to the people of Shikar, who ZeaLitY introduced in Alphard and Demeria and for whom I went to Tushantin for some linguistic and cultural inspiration as we dipped that candlestick back into the creative wax. I have Tushantin to thank entirely for the name "Seith Dragus," whose character pretty much follows directly from the name.

I won't let the cat out of the bag on this much more to protect the project members' creative freedom should it eventually reach fruition, other than to give a big shout-out to some of the artists involved. The viewpoint character in this piece was to have his own sprite, worked on alternately by BROJ, Zephira, and probably Alcyone (all of whom are really kickass at this art):

The viewpoint character, one Honoré Beck, is a bit of a creepy sort at this stage in his character arc. I wanted to write someone my idealistic side would absolutely detest, but whose flaws many men, myself included, can identify with. That's fun every now and then. The way he objectifies his love interest is repugnant to me, but he finds redemption through empathy -- an empathy made possible by his ability to dream, and in turn make dreams come true.

What Seith asks Beck to do, and what Beck is about to do when the story ends, will remain a mystery for the time being. Those questions were to play a big role in the larger project.

While this has nothing to do with Radical Dreamers per se, it does have to do with radical dreams, so hopefully it'll fit as a really, really ridiculously far-removed gaiden entry. Without further ado...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 07:42:30 am by FaustWolf »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: Gaiden entry: Another Place, Another Time ~Fata Morgana~
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 08:24:05 pm »
Fata Morgana

Honoré Beck sucked in fragrant, artificially heated air fanned through fine grates beneath his coal-black leather soles, bating his breath while he glanced over the sable-wrapped frame suddenly halting before him. Flawless. He marveled incredulously: the slicked-back auburn curls; the freshly shaven cheeks and bony chin chiseled by ravenous osteoclasts to twenty-five year old perfection; the tightly fitted overcoat binding musculature that stood out among Zealian men, yet not so bulky as to make him seem fit only for manual labor; and finally the hazel eyes now halting their flight to stare back at him. The rebirth had been painful, but so worth it. Perhaps.

Beck’s lungs relaxed and a string of foreign syllables whispered out with his breath.

Tour’hmena…”

Noticing black-draped figures swishing ghostily past shaped gold walls framing his own dark silhouette, he pressed his lips, grinding away a chapped edge noticeable only to the most discerning of roaming eyes.

Tour’hmena e’h sufal.”

Now we ascend unto the heavens. Such ugly hard fricatives to express so beautiful a notion, but nevertheless he prided himself on the memory of flinging an Earthbound language textbook onto the plain glass tea table in his quarters and poring over it until the order to prepare for the Midnight Waltz had circulated through his Enhasian tenement. He knew he should have spent that time sleeping. In a few minutes the entire kingdom would become locked in midnight, his sense of night and day nauseously wrecked that a quirky annual tradition might march on over the next fourteen days, even in this most despairing of years. Adjust tomorrow, Beck had reasoned. Prepare today. Tonight’s celebratory waltz furnished his one, best chance and his sudden ability to shape syllables derived from nightmarish cuneiform into poetry would impress her. Perhaps.

Perhaps. Or maybe she would respond with that same glacial stare she shot at him once he stepped into her language arts class late that morning, finding her propped against her desk after early dismissal. First impressions were awful things, but he couldn’t help that uninterruptible laboratory experiments often spilled over deadlines; he had come so close, but he could only work toward his life’s great goal during scant spare moments after all. Beck mulled over the shock he had felt once those oceanic sapphires – filled with sweet, earnest sympathy while he still remained locked in old age – now turned to frost as she handed him the text and bid him curt enjoyment of the Nocturne Festival. All the scrupulous late night research, all the searing pain of neuron reconnection, just so she could sail past him without so much as a second glance. By the way, shut off the lights when you leave. He hated her for that. His subconscious had been searching for any other word to describe the feeling he experienced that morning, but this most correctly expressed it. Hate.

Shivery insight slithered down Beck’s spine and he felt something pinching into his palms. Abandoning his possibly fruitless alien recitation, he let his gaze drop from the mirror to a silver mask gripped in clenched leathery vices level with his waist, its cavernous eyes and bending lips pleading for him to loosen his hands. He glanced up at frustration-flushed cheeks and subdued his breath, wondering if others watched him and would somehow divine who and what he was. Silver, gold, and jewel-encrusted façades peeked over his shoulders, studding the royal palace’s Great Hall with just about its only color save the bare gilt walls, and even those towered in somber globelight. It was to be a solemn affair; a vibrantly tinged quill or two rose above the masks of only the most daring ladies.

Still, it was also meant to be a night of forgetfulness and Beck drew comfort from the fact that every mask remained diverted from him, huddled together in echoing murmurs or enjoying a quiet smoke; long-stemmed incense pipes occasionally withdrew from silver lips, misty plumes following in their wake.

A foyer leading to the royal promenade directly behind Beck swelled, reveler-mourners venturing indoors and swarming into the Hall’s barren expanse. Voices hushed. The crowd pressed into itself, masks swiveling birdlike atop high-collared necks in vague expectation; smokers dropped their kicked-up heels and withdrew into the chasm. When even his churning thoughts ceased, Beck could hear only soft ticking from a giant old-fashioned clock peering over the mirror. Twelve bells rung in succession. Midnight.

Somewhere behind, a voice rose in echoing hisses. Sensing eyes on him, Beck caught the faint trace of faraway emeralds glittering from behind one of the masks, thin felt-tipped fingers waving for his attention.

“Hey! Don’t stand too close to the wall…”

Beck steeled himself to spin on his heel and finally face the world again after that morning’s humiliation, but instead he fell flat on his side as the floor lurched beneath his feet. Windows boomed against high altitude jetstreams. Beck wondered at the terror an outsider might have felt while the crowd behind caught one another with excited gasps, giggling against sickening plunges and sudden shifts that lasted an entire minute. When the sky island’s orbital adjustment finally ended and Zeal’s natives could stand fully upright again, the Great Hall’s mood brightened to a semblance of former times, even dimmed wall globes intensifying while a few celebrants helped Beck to his feet.

Directing a brief nod and a tight smile at his anonymous well wishers by way of thanks, he returned to the mirror and scoffed at his reflection. How embarrassing. But the fall had done him some good. It jarred not only his body but his also his mind, knocking him out of maudlin reverie and clearing the way for memory of the news spinning like a firestorm through awakened Enhasa that afternoon. Rumor had it the assailant was armed. Is she alright? He recalled the nebulous fear that wracked his gut with violent spasms then as he gripped a gossipy coworker, boring into the other’s eyes for a truth that threatened to smite Beck outright. Then a single reassuring word, then waves of relief washing narcotically over him. Beck shut his eyes, basking in that feeling even now. He needed her after all – needed her to be in the world, whatever she thought of him, or might think of him if she knew.  His entire existence hinged on this one evening, and even though he doubted success, he had to try.

“Why, Beck!”

Sensing thick fingers pressing through leather and spun wool layers padding his right shoulder, Beck snapped to attention and reeled from the mirror. A husky gentleman draped in silky royal blue and a sash trimmed with garish gold embroidery removed a still-smouldering incense stem from between the lips of his jade mask, then the mask itself. Even before the gentleman revealed his identity Beck instinctively clicked his heels and thumped a fist over his heart with the exclamation “Ahqz,” an acronym declaring a Zealian citizen’s allegiance to the Queen. Only a Creojeanne could possibly get away with that getup at a time like this.

The gentleman towering across from him thumped his gaudy jade mask softly over his own chest with an approving nod. Beck swallowed hard, his breath choking at the sight of the face staring him down. The Creojeanne clicked the incense stem back into his teeth, trading the jade mask into his freed paw; Beck rather clumsily tucked his own mask under an arm and accepted the offered glove with both his own.

“I’m not sure you recall me.” The gentleman’s bristly whiskers gave way to a set of sparkling incisors. “Seith Dragus Creojeanne. We spoke briefly at one of your creation fibre conventions.”

Apprehension, then a sharp grinning nod.

Seith stood back and glanced over Beck’s evening attire. “My, my, from everything I’d heard I thought you’d still be in the laboratory, but here you are dressed to go dreaming, you sly devil.”

A feigned embarrassed chuckle. “Your highness, I doubt I could have secured my equipment well enough to last the orbital adjustment whilst in use. And…” Beck feared breaking a sweat under the Creojeanne’s stifling sapphire glare and diverted his eyes to revelers flooding out onto the royal promenade beyond. “And there are times when even the hardest workers have to – live.”

The Creojeanne’s brows knitted, eyes taking sudden boyish interest in Beck’s double-breasted overcoat and the polished brass buttons running down either side. “Is that windspun leather?” Beck froze while Seith excitedly twisted a sleeve between his thumb and index finger. “By God!”

Beck’s eyes continued wandering until his heartbeat slowed. He judged his sudden pang of fear irrational; things were different now. “One could say I’ve – moved up in the world, very recently.” His eyes returned to the man addressing him, matching the confident smile he finally mustered. “How may I help you, your highness?”

Seith removed his incense stem again and Beck flinched slightly, but the Creojeanne had the courtesy to turn his face before blowing a perfect smoke ring that grazed Beck’s ear. Seith glanced over his shoulder at another flamboyantly outfitted figure. “Move along, sweetpea, I’ll be out in a second. Need to have a word with this gentleman first.”

Three bright quills bobbed above the tame matron’s porcelain mask, then disappeared into a roiling sea of black drapes surging out the Hall.

Seith wrapped a paternal arm around Beck, pressing him to make a round around the palace alongside him. “The work you’ve been doing with those –” he gestured with his hand-enclasped mask while taking a drag on his incense stem, then curled his lips into a faint cringe as his mind landed on the word, “– creatures…has proven absolutely remarkable. Her Royal Majesty’s Seneschal shall like to tour your lab tomorrow…”

While Beck gave him an appreciative nod, his mind couldn’t help but settle on a time when Seith Dragus Creojeanne had stared him down from the opposite end of an oaken table within a royal courtroom. Glistening quartzite walls, reverberating shouts. While this evening’s Seith spoke soothing words of enhanced position, rising pay, and lecture circuits, Beck’s mind slipped into vehement accusations.

What this man proposes is outrageous! In fact, I daresay it is seditious, sir! Sieth had violently shaken his incense stem in the scientist’s direction then while he addressed a consul perched upon a stone dais.

Narrow eyes and raised brows maintained utter neutrality on the consul’s face, which turned to the scientist.

Have you a response, Doctor Bekkler?

The scientist had nervously hunched forward in his seat, trying to shift his gaze gradually and unnoticed to a man  slouching easily in rich robes to the consul’s left; though youngest in the room, Alphard Simaelsus held the most power, if only because the arm draped over the back of his double-seat bench cradled emptiness that day. Simaelsus lifted his eyes away as if to deny him the promised signal, but then shook his head and sighed, a gesture easily disguised as some unrelated fancy happening to float through the king’s mind.

Seith had used Bekkler’s silence as an opportunity for a parting jab. I ask that the Royal Consulate strip this man of his title and delete these trumped-up results utterly! They are an affront to our people.

The consul’s eyes flitted toward the Creojeanne briefly. Duly noted, your highness. Waiting a moment more, he added: Very well then. What is the monarch’s judgment?

Simaelsus had leaned forward with casually folded hands. The records of Doctor Bekkler’s creation fibre research will remain within the scientific community for further debate and analysis, and the doctor shall keep his title.

So be it. The suit is dropped, and the Royal Consulate’s judgment final. Baleful eyes had drawn the consul’s attention. Laws are laws, your highness. Her Royal Majesty having retired the week, His Royal Majesty’s judgment alone suffices as the monarch’s. Crimson robes shrugged upon his shoulders for good measure.

The scientist had drawn a relieved sigh but his aging nostrils caught a heavy whiff of incense instead; Seith had instantly been in his face once the bar adjourned. It must have been the sickeningly sweet pewter smell wafting through Beck’s keen olfactory system that triggered powerful memory from a previous existence. He twisted his head, feigning interest while the Creojeanne went on about a mundane something-or-other, but frightening reverberations echoed through his brain and drowned out Seith’s comradely banter.

You may think you’ve gotten away with this travesty, but Simaelsus is no more than a consort in the end. Two things are certain. No Creojeanne is related to those sniveling subterranean rats. And no Creojeanne will ever, ever refer to you as “Doctor” again! Seith had twisted the doctor’s coat, wrenching him close enough for a venomous whisper. Continue down this path if you must, be we have ways of making your life miserable.

Seith had stormed away, denying their king so much as a glance while he brushed past. The scientist felt compelled to stand to attention on creaking joints when Simaelsus sauntered over wearing a hearty smile, waving away incense hanging in midair before grabbing Bekkler’s shoulders. The scientist wondered how the grip of a man over thirty years his junior could feel so fatherly, but maybe that was the mark of a good king.

You performed brilliantly, old boy.

Beck’s previous incarnation scoffed. But I didn’t utter a word…

Simaelsus had attempted to stifle a laugh but it erupted in genial chortles. Exactly! He drew the scientist to him and gave his porous spine a few bear hug slaps. How jubilant the king had been that afternoon, and how furious the Creojeanne; Bekkler was amazed at how a simple search for scientific truth could produce such vibrant emotion in others. To the doctor, the experiments had been merely a game with whatever unseen creative force had designed his ancestors, but these political men inserted justice and sin into the mix. When Simaelsus withdrew, he eyed him mischievously. How about spending an evening at the palace? Her Royal Majesty is out, so guests are no problem. Shikari champagne to celebrate our victory, what do you say? The scientist had croaked something about needing to catch up on his research after having been diverted by this legal spectacle. Oh, come on. Don’t tell me you never live. There was no refusing, and it was, perhaps – no, definitely – the most critical night in the scientist’s seventy-six year lifespan. He would see her there for the first time, singing to Shikari drumbeats, and the intervening six years were a whirlwind tinged with perfect blue. He never would find absolute incontrovertible proof of the relation between Enlightened and Earthbound, but the Creojeanne had been right about one thing: by the end of the week he met her, they would refer to Bekkler as ‘Guru.’

A squeeze on Beck’s shoulder drug him into the present. Seith’s trim beard leaned close to his ear. “I understand this new Guru, this…” he paused for a drag of incense, “Melchior, doesn’t much care for your methods. He’s even submitted a detailed request for your demotion. But you don’t have to worry about that.” Seith spun around Beck and lay his paws on either side of the younger scientist’s ears, the incense stem hanging in one and the jade mask in another. He leaned close but his attempt at a fatherly aura felt so false. “We’re going to protect you, Beck, if you just make this happen for us.”

Beck glanced away and into the mirror. They had made an entire circuit around the palace and now the Great Hall yawned empty save two smokers who preferred conspiratorial whispers to the promenade’s relative bustle. “I thank you, your highness.” His dark eyes drifted back into the Creojeanne’s. “I’ll await the arrival of Her Royal Majesty’s Seneschal at 0900 hours.”

Seith grinned widely, thumping his mask on his chest before lifting it to his face. “Ahqz!”

“Ahqz.” Beck relaxed his heels only after the Creojeanne turned for the promenade. He sensed he had agreed to something potentially vile, but after tonight, however it turned out, what would it matter? For now Beck was more interested in straining his ears to catch the quiet conversation of the smokers while feigning attention to his appearance. The black-robed figures surmised that neither the Queen nor the Gurus would leave the palace’s inner confines, and Beck’s stomach sank until he caught a hint of gold-buckled shoes tapping lightly from the promenade gateway and toward the mirror, bearing a swishing royal blue robe and trailed by a luxuriously-coated lavender feline. The brother.

Beck looked over himself in the mirror for real this time, eyes flitting between a stray strand hanging over his right brow and the purple form heaving itself into a huddle just inside the Great Hall. For seventy-six years and three months the scientist never left a lock out of place, but he thought better of it and pulled at his mask’s elastic strap. The auburn bang sliced needle-thin through his mask’s silvery forehead, lending him a wild mystique, something Simaelsus might have considered stylish were he still with him.

Gold and porcelain masks spewing incense watched Beck approach the royal promenade. As he neared the boy encircled by a continuously prancing lavender blur, he caught dreamy whispers blowing through unkempt azure locks.

“That’s right. I’m gonna study up and be the best Seneschal ever…” The brother giggled over his gleeful secret while he snatched in vain at the feline parading past his bent knees. He paid no heed to Beck towering over him.

“I see –” Beck flinched at the surprise echo grinding through his mask, then looked down again at crystal eyes blinking up at him from an effeminate face still lacking the sturdiness of manhood. “I see you have a new friend.” He knelt, sharing in the youth’s admiration of that sleek creature darting playfully to and fro. “Did the Princess gift him to you?”

“Yea. Fast, isn’t he?” The brother snatched empty air and the cat pirouetted behind him. “I think he learned some dance moves out there. His name’s Alfador.”

Hm. Behind the silver mask a pang of sad familiarity washed over Beck’s face in a wry smile. Hearing its name, the feline froze mid-stride between its observers, one paw raised, head turned, ears perking up. They both wondered at the creature’s deep violet stripes: it was an extremely rare color and Beck surmised it had come from a lineage bred to genetic perfection. If he really wanted, he could probably make a living selling duplicates if he collected a sample. “Do you call him ‘Alfy’ for short? I bet he’d like that.”

“You think?”

Stupid, Honoré, he mentally scolded himself. But the brother didn’t cringe tearfully as he’d feared, keen eyes still studying that trim plum coat. Maybe it was something only a select few knew. He reached toward the statuesque animal’s ears but the head suddenly swiveled in his direction with bared fangs, its back arching horribly. His hand recoiled and he felt a sudden terror – had the creature identified the mind that lay behind his mask through some sixth animal sense, and judged him horrible? A true aberration of natural order…

The brother seized on Alfador’s distraction and scooped the cat into his arms. “Alfador only seems to like me. He does that to everyone. I wonder why.” Alfador’s body rumbled like a soft engine while the boy scratched between its furry ears.

“…Oh.” Beck eased back on a heel, eager to extricate himself from that animal’s presence without appearing rude now that he’d had the audacity to approach the brother. “What’s this I hear about you becoming a great Seneschal?”

Detached crystals suddenly beamed at him with serious concern. “You didn’t hear that from her, did you?”

“Oh, no, you were saying it just now.”

The brother’s eyes returned to Alfador, which he cradled with a contented smile. “I never really cared about magic class. Until today. Royals have to be tough as nails or else they might get snuffed out in an instant.”

Beck swallowed, eyes carefully locked on the purring creature so that his perked interest wouldn’t appear morbid as it really was. “You were down there with the entourage today?”

“Yea. It was so scary.” Then the brother must have felt a need to compensate for his anxious whisper because he leaned forward for a proud declaration. “But I’m going to be her Seneschal.” He announced it with all the fervor of a child planning on becoming an operatic superstar, and when he realized he had sent the word softly bouncing off every wall in the palace, he lowered his voice to a demure murmur. “From now on I’m gonna study so hard, I’ll beat whats-his-name, and then I’ll be the star pupil.” Alfador yawned wide and flicked a strawberry tongue. The brother looked up with a mischievous gleam. “And you know how a new Seneschal has to fight the previous one, right? So you know what that means?” He leaned forward dramatically again and Beck angled an ear toward him. “Someday I’m gonna spar with Dalton on the Showground, and I’m going to kick-his-ass!”

The brother eased into snickering convulsions and Beck chortled too, if only because he realized a youth his age couldn’t giggle like that under normal circumstances – the boy had grown tipsy. Only so many people could possibly have slipped him a glass of brandy without Nanashi assassins popping from dark corners out there, and with the Gurus and the Queen confirmed to be locked deep within the palace, that meant –

Beck lifted his eyes toward the promenade with a soaring chest, squinting at dark shapes slinking to soft synthetic beats and shifting past charged dreamstone lights that outlined a wide disc jutting away from the palace and into twilit sky beneath a full moon.

“Pa never really liked him anyway.”

Beck’s eyes flicked back to the boy before him.

“Pa…” The brother’s voice cracked, trailed off. He sniffed and turned his face away.

Great. Beck ventured a glance over his shoulder at the smokers, still watching him further down the Hall near the mirror. He wondered if they were actually secret palace guards. What a piece of work you are, Honoré. Caught in front of a royal who’s not only crying, but drunk. And the brother of all people. He imagined the smokers rising and demanding his identification with metallic voices, and how it might lead to a verification of his birth token, and oh! That would be a mess, even if it was superbly forged. He turned forward again. The brother had diverted his gaze to the floor and Alfador twisted to peer up at him, imploring that the still fingers resting on its white belly would start scratching again. In Beck’s experience only inspiration could cure a dolorous mood, so his mind vomited out the only thing it truly knew.

“It’s your dream, isn’t it?”

The brother blinked moistened eyes at him. “Huh?”

Beck lowered his voice conspiratorially. “Becoming Seneschal. It’s your – dream.” He dared to reach out to the animal again and this time Alfador accepted his gloved hand running along its ears. “The capstone of your life. The thought of it gives you the power to carry on and burst through every obstacle, no matter how bleak things seem at present.”

The brother cleared his throat. “Yea. You’re right, I guess it is. I’m gonna be a really great Seneschal someday. Nothing will stop me.”

Beck hung his wrist over his raised knee. “One’s dream can be a strange thing. Sometimes it seems like a mirage that escapes you no matter how hard you work for it. But you have to stick with it, because there’s no alternative. Maybe some day…” He tossed a scoff into his mask, suddenly realizing how boyish he himself had become in the years since he first visited this palace. His eyes wandered a while before his mask cocked to one side and regarded the boy with renewed curiosity. “You’re not Seneschal class, you know. Far above it. How will you deal with that?

Cobalt brows furrowed, smooth youthish lips pursed. The boy had probably never considered it before; so many bothers to confront along the way. “Well,” he said after a long pause scratching Alfador, “I’ll just have to change the rules then.”

Laughter rung inside Beck’s mask.

“What? What’s wrong with that?”

Leather shrugged tight around the silver mask as Beck shook his head. “Nothing.” He scanned the brother with sudden admiration. “Maybe changing the rules is the easiest part.” Feeling inspired himself, he rose. “Well Janus, as one dreamer to another…I salute you. Ahqz!”

His boots thudded confidently over glossy marble toward the promenade but stopped when the brother called after him. He swiveled; Janus’ face turned toward him over purple wrap. Alfador’s head poked up and peered at Beck above the opposite shoulder.

“Who are you, anyway?”

Beck’s dark eyes flitted between Janus and the masks floating in incense clouds beyond. “We are all anonymous tonight. I assure what you’ve shared with me shall remain behind this mask.”

Janus nodded in thanks for the courtesy. He had gained the brother’s trust. But could he gain hers?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 10:57:45 pm by FaustWolf »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 08:48:50 pm »
Honoré Beck stepped onto the Royal Promenade wrapped in midnight. There was no need of an electromagnetically suspended discotheque globe here as there was during indoor celebrations; a perfect silvery sphere hanging directly above provided the light, myriad masks the glitter. Hundreds of specially invited guests must have swayed across the polished marble disc in time with synthetically enhanced Shikari drums and sanj cymbals, their subdued beats filtering over radio links into tenements inhabited by less fortunate classes. Smaller concurrent celebrations missed out only on the swarthy beauty of singers transplanted there for the express purpose of entertaining Zeal’s upper echelons that evening, and the blood-red floodlights casting dull crimson over black coats from the promenade’s dramatically curving perimeter. And possibly her.

Beck pressed against shadowy brick so he could wander along the promenade’s edge in relative obscurity. He made sure to check the tiered wings teeming with warmed peachstone benches. Despite its name the Midnight Waltz celebrated unfettered liberty: one could dance as suggested, or feast on light pleasures furnished by constantly-flitting masked servants, or play six-sided chess in bubbly communal mini-tourneys; most commonly all the above, with seated breaks sandwiching the more vigorous fandangos. When he peeked through the last shadowy crevice in vain, a hand reached at his sleeve and a familiar Kajar elder asked if Beck might join him for a game of cards. Poor Aias, maskless and sipping at tisane of his own design in solitude, still adapting to the first few weeks after his forty-year card partner’s disappearance. How ironic.

Beck’s mask drifted back and forth against a moonlight halo. “I’m sorry. I’m watching out for someone.”

The man who once played cards with Bekkler shrugged with good humor. “Bit hard with all the masks, eh?”

“Very. Wish me luck, friend.”

Unnerving alarm prickled through Beck’s being when he shot back out of the final alcove, wondering if she had worn a mask unlike the brother after all. He scanned red-lit shapes surreally spinning around one another in tight coils, sifting through countless shades of neatly pinned-up hair caught in brief turning glimpses for a clue. Beck cast his eyes rightward and froze.

A perfect blue blur entered his vision’s periphery.

He let it resolve lest her image would dispel itself in response to the slightest hint of impatience, then lifted his eyes. No doubt. Beck angled an ear toward a point on the promenade a hundred feet away, imagining he could barely discern the faint tap of stitched suede ankle boots carrying her past a dreamstone floodlight, even over Shikari hymns crooning from the raised circular stage between them. A random servant’s sable cloak obscured his view and he anxiously shifted, nevertheless snatching from a plateful of foamy drinks hovering before his mask. What an auspicious offering – alcohol rose through the straw piercing his façade’s barely parted silver lips, calming his nerves while he watched her carefully plant one foot in front of the other far away.

She ambled in a snail-slow curve mimicking the promenade’s border, head bowed in solemn reflection, one hand wrapped over an elbow, the other hooked around the stem of a wine glass angled emptily groundward. Royal purple sleeves slinked elegantly down her curved frame, their edges finally lost within the folds of the full-length dress she had worn since that morning. Textured cerulean tresses obscuring her violet eyes fell back briefly when she directed a glum smile at a servant who noticed she had drunk the last drop of her inner despair; after she clinked her glass onto the tray she slumped against a decorative pillar and gazed out at nothing in particular. The frigid stare hadn’t singled him out after all. It was meant for the entire world.

Oh Honoré, you asinine fool. She stood out as a bright blue star against night’s bare canvass and Beck knew her entire body served as a Creojeanne political display – the Royal Family had to show that it could steel itself even amidst its greatest anguish, and she was the only member of the immediate relatives with enough composure to step out here in defiance of melancholy so that Zeal’s citizenry might know they, too, should shrug off their black garb tomorrow and observe normal traditions. The glass-collecting servant passed him and he took the opportunity to discard his half-full shotcup, his eyes tracing the voluptuously frosted contours of the chalice she had held and locking on a blush stain her lips had left on its unclouded edge.

Beck swooned secretly, his face flushing out of longing that instantly warped itself into silent rage. He peered out at the churning crowd, the Shikar instrumentalists, the teeming wings – a thousand people who shunned her presence. How could they not bask in the glory of Simaelsus’ child now that she had passed twenty and grown into femininity’s fully ripened bloom?  Perhaps they feared the searing flame of forbidden fruit, but for better or worse, Beck had long been struck with the moth’s great imperfection and he succumbed to her potentially fatal charm.

His moment had arrived. Beck pushed through the crowd.

An alarmed but gravelly voice from another time and place soared in his mind as it had on a million previous occasions. This is impossible. This is improper. This is imprudent. He weaved through dark forms that seemed to wheel in dreamy slow motion. I feel dirty; it’s not right; I can never do this

Shut up, Norstein.

A swaying couple barreled into his shoulder or he barreled into them, one or the other; he directed a quick embarrassed glance at the masked matron floating in Seith’s distant embrace. The matron’s eyes lingered on him awhile before facing the jade mask again. Beck wondered if that hidden face sensed his thoughts and scolded him, but he swallowed the thought irrevocably and reoriented himself. She was still there, frozen against shaped sandstone. The Shikari singer spewing breathy notes on the platform beside him stopped and the crowd thankfully paused for a restful intermezzo.

Suddenly he stood before her near the promenade’s edge. Her eyes wandered in expressionless glances along a formless horizon, arms crossed tightly against her ribs in private musings on life’s mortal coil that shielded her from here-and-now. Finally the intensity of dark eyes reaching for hers leaped across the chasm yawning between them and she blinked at the silver mask.

“Yes?”

That lavender voice once pierced him with thoughts of his body’s decrepit inadequacy, but no longer. He considered tossing in an Ahqz but it struck him as oddly out of place. “My apologies if I’m a bother your highness, but I couldn’t help but notice that…” his mask flicked above his shoulder toward the crowd and he wondered how his arm had the admirable sense to trace a dramatic arc behind him. “That you and I are the only ones on the dance floor without partners.” He turned back to her, offering an open palm with statuesque steadiness. “Would you – care to join me for the next dance?”

Azure brows furrowed almost imperceptibly and she stared down at her suede-encased toes, which grazed the border of a chalk outline separating those who danced from those who stood aside. A phantom smile tugged at her lips: he was just barely correct. But brief amusement bled from a face that turned away again, retreating against a pillow of hair cascading in a smooth crystal waterfall down her shoulder. She puffed a bang out of her eyelashes.

Beck swallowed hard, consciously keeping the outstretched hand from trembling, reasoning with himself not to hate her if she refused. His sinking heart leapt high when she faced him again, shrugging with the same wan smirk she had given the random attendant.

“Sure, why not?”

He stared at pale fingers suddenly laying over his own, unable to register their properly ephemeral pressure over the leather covering his hand. Normally a man would lead but he followed her deep into the promenade because whoever was of superior social stature led by default – a small slap on the wrist for impertinent Zealian men such as himself. She found adequate room next to the Shikar instrumentalist platform and confronted Beck, who had just enough time to observe neighboring dancers so he could emulate their positioning. When she pressed her right hand against his shoulder he wrapped his left around her back’s perfect inward slope, his right pressing against her free palm.

They waited. She briefly admired his jacket before her eyes scanned the crowd aloof, violet irises dilating against a dreamstone floodlight’s red glare. Beck spent a frozen moment drinking in the sight of the faultlessly creamy cheek turned toward him, the gold pendant dangling alongside. What a morbid yet wonderful thing, mentally thanking a deceased friend for the fact that she hadn’t expected to dance this night; otherwise her exquisite profile would also have hidden beneath a mask.

Tambourines shimmered noisily to their right, presaging an energetic dance. A private horror. Beck recalled his previous life – he had been through seventy-six Midnight Waltzes, each one spent off the dance floor, mostly with his nose stuck into splayed cards across from Aias, though sometimes he did take up Belthasar’s challenge to watch the arcing feet and attempt divination of whatever natural algorithm guided them across polished stone, just as sure as cells divided under specific stimuli. But that seemed hardly helpful here, and taking a dance class in Enhasa had been the least of his concerns until this very moment. What would he do? He met her eyes briefly and suddenly it didn’t matter.

I am living my dream.

Drums smacked heavily and solid beats reverberated in Beck’s right ear. Forward; back; forward; back. A hinging left turn. Despite every scientific sensibility there might have been a God smiling upon him because whatever genetic samples he spliced together for his new body seemed to be descended from some archaic lord of the dance, his innate talent extracted perfectly by thudding Shikari beats.

She had been looking down all the while, perhaps wondering if he would crunch her toes. Or maybe worried that she would clumsily step over his. Violet eyes flitted up and perfect pearl canines bared themselves for a holy instant. “You’re really good,” she exclaimed with a breathless scoff while they executed another hinge, barely avoiding the more leisurely Seith and his middle-aged matron.

If Beck whispered an exhilarated “Thank you,” it was lost in the whirling blue ponytail and the long red ribbon bunching it together and giving it form as she spun away from him, drawn back by destiny and interlocking fingertips. Another spin. Sidesteps connected by outstretched palms; she laughed again. One-two-three-four. They separated, backs to one another in parallel slides with upraised fingers tracing out their people’s ancient dance incantations – Beck just faked that small detail. Some couples exchanged partners at this point; others didn’t. He panicked, fearing his left palm would never again yield to the slight pressure filling the small of her back when she breathed. He whirled round and she did too, and they repeated the process infinitely. Or maybe it lasted only a minute.

They continued several steps after the drumbeats and enchanting hymns died down. Following another spin she found herself suddenly staring out at a still wall of masks aimed at her, one hand still clasped in Beck’s high overhead. Her shoulder’s inertia had just been stopped by Beck’s free palm and she froze with her back pressed against him. A thousand pairs of hands applauded her and for an instant she may have totally escaped every concern weighing upon her that night, or at least Beck thought so because her huffing breath eased into regular sighs, then rose in an erratic tittering laugh.

Beck slowly, deeply inhaled her hair’s jasmine scent and his eyes rolled up toward their clasped hands. A pang of bittersweet irony seeped through him; if only he had found some excuse to remove his gloves before the dance. His thumb dared to graze her clear polished nails anyway. What a perfect moment to deliver his memorized Earthbound poem, ask for another dance that couldn’t possibly be refused after this stellar performance, and let it lead to whatever else she would allow.

He lowered his mask’s silver lips to her ear but paused. The corner of her rouged mouth remained tugged in a wide smile but Beck couldn’t see that smile completely; he felt an inexplicable compulsion to disembody himself and join the crowd for a full view. When was the last time her eyes had gleamed like that? His mind danced while cheers poured over them. Within the week he had first met her, the heat of family strife boiled away that smile – Bekkler’s appointment as Guru of Life had become a major sticking point, and that was just the beginning. Then the Frozen Flame, then the funeral, then Arbitership. He choked down all his planned talk of romance and ascending to heaven – though he still felt he was there – because he experienced his life’s monumental epiphany.

Shove it, Honoré, it was never about you.

How long had the clapping continued? A moment? A millennium? It gave him time to think while they caught their breath. For six years he thought he had been seeking her undivided affection, that he deserved a dowry wrapped in her flesh for all the trouble he had endured in her name. But deep down inside, maybe he wanted her to smile as she had that night alongside the Shikar instrumentalists. He was as an Algetty fisherman chasing after a mirage, learning to sprint on water that he might finally catch up with it, and only after seizing it did he know what it truly meant. The gift had been his to give all along.

Beck felt suddenly clean, absolved, when he cast his erstwhile ambition in these new sterling terms. This one fell moment vindicated his life’s work and he wanted to stretch it out as long as possible against whatever misery lingered within her being. He wondered: had she acquired the gift of inspiration yet? She lowered her arm but froze again when Beck finally whispered into her ear.

“Schala…”

She caught his baritone murmur over the crowd’s excited whistle and her head turned a few degrees, the long red ribbon brushing fluidly over his silver chin.

“Do you have a – a dream? Some thing that, were you to experience it, would make your life wholly complete?”

He waited while her eyes scanned the sky for a star to wish upon. “I think I want, more than anything…” Schala trailed off and Beck yearned for more in the breathy silence. Her eyes had fallen on the crowd again. “That there should be a day when Earthbound are just as welcome here as we are.” Her eyelashes fluttered beneath shadow-tinged brows while she scanned his mask for a response. She knew she had floated a truly radical dream.

Unfortunately Beck’s sensibilities, deeply engrained over one lifetime and now a small partiality of the second, produced an observation for which he would rebuke himself evermore. “But your highness – didn’t one of them assail you today?”

Schala stepped away and reeled to face him, her eyes lingering on his an instant before sinking. Her smile had faded and he realized he had committed the gravest sin: he judged her life’s great aspiration impossible. A hundred weary cares breached her momentary escape from reality and she frowned, finding dark portents of future turmoil while her eyes traced faint cracks in solid stone carved from the earth below. The crowd began exchanging whispers and confused shrugs and Beck panicked.

The mask came off. “Your highness, I’m sorry, I –”

Then she glanced up at him, and for a few moments he stared into the most mortifyingly horrific soul ever to have come into being in Zeal’s history. Violet wells of bottomless despair. He couldn’t understand what had just taken shape inside her mind; perhaps he never would. But the sheer force of it forced Beck a step back, compelling him to speak in sick shudders. “Oh, Schala.”

She wrenched her eyes away from him and he breathed again while she cast that stare over some observing masks before her curled lashes shut it off, a mascara stain slipping down her cheek. Schala shielded her brow with a hand and trudged toward the exiting foyer, the promenade utterly silent aside from whispering cloaks and clacking heels parting before her. Beck allowed his retinas to slowly fry under a dreamstone floodlight’s crimson glare to watch after her. Schala’s image blurred. He blinked; it cleared. Something welled up in his throat and he swallowed it. Six years and three months exactly. That’s how long it had taken him to bring his dream to fruition, and he ended it in an instant. Beck thought his comment so innocent, yet beneath it lay Zealian prejudice forged over millennia and its weight had crushed her. How careless. How foolish.

The matron had drawn beside him to watch her leave. “Poor darling,” Seith’s wife cooed in exaggerated tones. Beck expected a deep frown to match his own but found a slight porcelain smirk when he turned. She stared at him and he hastily replaced his own mask. The matron heaved a sigh: “What can we expect? The king succumbed only a few months ago. How tragic that she must grieve in public.”

Seith breathed a long smoky stream toward the Great Hall’s foyer beyond the double doors Schala smashed through a hundred feet away. “Everything has a price, sweetpea. High birth especially.” His jade mask glanced around. “All this over one death – what would our ancestors think? We’ve been through harsher times, and more may await us.”

Seith raised a gloved hand and snapped toward the platform on which the Shikar instrumentalists stood exchanging exasperated whispers. They blinked at him, shrugged at each other, then followed their people’s basic instinct and began a cheerful tune. Several hundred structured embraces instantly sprung up to the sound of boisterous violins, then several hundred more. The Creojeanne nodded approvingly.

Beck looked over renewing celebration and felt alienated by the weird cheer filling everyone else but him. Apparently that violet stare didn’t linger in their minds as it did his. He only noticed the matron scanning him when she edged into view and caught his attention with an oddly playful glare.

“You know…” the bright quills arching over her porcelain mask bounced as she cast a coy glare at Seith absently puffing a smoke ring at the horizon. “My husband tires so easily.”

Seith caught the comment and turned with a humored grunt. “Hardly.”

The matron’s mask lunged an inch at him. “Yes you do, darling.” When her husband shrugged, she gave Beck a mischievous glare. “Would you dance with me?”

Beck stared into her beaming emerald eyes, encased in faint crow’s feet yet filled with springtime glimmer. He numbly took her hand and she tittered girlishly while he allowed her to lead him through an easy waltz. He looked around unfocused. He felt so drained. Violet eyes spewing holocaust. His thoughts turned to the Seneschal’s impending visit to his laboratory on a separate sky island, how he would have to wake up early and apply for a Blackbird pass because the Skyways remained closed during non-geosynchronous orbit. All the weary tedium. Was the emptiness in his gut the essence of post-dream experience, an eternal plummet from life’s most soaring heights until one was born again to dream anew?

His thoughts reeled, replayed Schala’s smile again and again. Why should her dream exact such a response? It did seem ludicrous, honestly – woolly beastskins mixed among the dancers, pale, drawn faces colored with filth behind the masks? Well, they’d obviously have to be cleaned up after being lifted from their cavern dwellings, Beck reasoned. His previous incarnation had taken a few up for genetic sampling on occasion. But that ugly language, and the frothy accents when specimens would shift into common speech upon approach. The way they eyed you distrustfully. Despite striking genetic similarities his previous incarnation discovered, the Earthbound and Enlightened had grown too culturally disparate for peaceful coexistence.

Still, people had been absorbed into Zeal previously. Beck turned his face and a Shikar instrumentalist’s caramel skin bounced over his mask in distorted reflections: a taut bare arm covered with shapely henna designs jumping diagonally left and right, left and right, the coarse tied-up hair bouncing slightly while a violin rested beneath her chin. Such exotic beauty; Bekkler had supposed they evolved concurrently with the Enlightened, their skin bronzed in the southern hemisphere when the sun still shone much brighter than it did nowadays. No other inquiry had been made into their origins to his knowledge. They kept mostly to themselves until plucked off their very own miniature sky island for purposes of dance instruction, musical performance, or expert winemaking. Some became respected Nanashi. The instrumentalist felt a silvery reflection and she eyed him without missing a beat. Something strange in that gaze; it unsettled him. From the corner of an eye the instrumentalist seemed to regard him with a faint disdain and defiance, like the caged werejackals that prowled through Kajar’s lush zoological exhibits.

How many peoples?

That’s what Schala had said before collapsing the evening Norstein Bekkler became Honoré Beck; Guruship required his previous incarnation to monitor the Arbiter’s vital signs when necessity forced her to make contact with the Object. He had assumed that she entered sudden delirium and misspoke something that made little grammatical sense. Besides, his aged ears could barely hear that night, adding to the inadequacy he felt when he withstood the compulsion to personally cradle her then. But what if he had heard Schala correctly? In that case, what had the Object shown her?

The matron’s felt-tipped fingers grazed the skin between his ear and his mask, gently turning his face away from the Shikar instrumentalist. Her smiling eyes not only reminded him of what he had promised Seith in the Great Hall earlier that evening, but made him wonder just how bizarre internal Creojeanne family politics were and what else he might have to prostitute of himself that evening. More importantly, they were the final element necessary to plant a question in his post-dream mind’s lucidity:

How many peoples have been trampled so Zeal could reign over midnight sky?

« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 11:29:31 pm by FaustWolf »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 09:04:23 pm »
Honoré Beck had thankfully escaped the Creojeanne’s matron without losing face and now lingered at the promenade’s edge deep in thought while fading laughter followed the palace’s most revered guests back into the foyer. Electrons surging through microscopic imperfections in the dreamstone floodlights on either side of Beck dimmed, leaving him to ponder in darkness; now he felt the weary sting of his decision to study Earthbound language instead of sleeping as his Enhasian neighbors had that afternoon.

He yearned to experience the thrill of living his dream again. And again, and again, because he could imagine nothing else inspiring him for as long as he lived. Beck removed his mask and stared at the silver lips frozen in contented shallow tilts. Would he ever see her smile again? How horrible it must have been for her to live at a point in time in which her own dream seemed absolutely impossible. Beck didn’t pretend to know why she wanted what she did, but a dream was a dream – one only settled on it so absolutely once they had devoted powerful thought to it. He tilted the mask down and gazed up, wondering if he could find the star she had wished upon.

Perhaps the Object, housed in Zeal’s greatest dreamstone reliquary and shaped like a whirling flame frozen in time, had shown her Zeal’s past and future and she wanted to defy its prediction. Why should it be so difficult? Why had he laughed with Janus yet ridiculed her? Maybe because his and Janus’ dreams required extreme reformation of oneself, whereas hers required extreme reformation of Zeal’s entire society. Hundreds of thousands of attitudes would have to change overnight.

Faint crimson light flushed his face and he wondered whether the dreamstone lights had been turned on again and everyone would flood back onto the promenade for one more dance. It was not so; his eyes sunk straight into the image of a wide fiery pit several miles below that now crested the promenade’s moving edge. Since formless Elemental shields normally displaced the air through which the sky islands soared, it was easy to forget that they were moving until some landmark like the roaring furnaces of Algetty passed beneath. Within the scorching pit lay all the forging equipment Earthbound slaved over every hour of every day, huddling around it by night like a naked bird clinging for warmth to the very hand that had plucked its feathers. Above it eerily floated the prison island capped by Mt. Woe, which remained crudely chained to the earth as a constant reminder of their servitude.

Seith drew alongside him for a final smoke before retiring and following a mutual Ahqz they remained silent, Seith’s molars chewing his incense stem in noisy anxiety. Finally he reported in a low growl: “They say the Earthbound are rumbling again, that their…brazenness, will boil over. If so, it will be the third time in our great nation’s history.” After a smoky exhale he snapped his incense stem straight forward, ejecting its sizzling nub onto the planet below. “Dalton’s called the Nanashi corps to standby, but still. Even one drop of Zealian blood is a precious thing. That’s why we need your expertise, Beck.”

He felt Seith’s eyes on him and returned the glare.

“Do you understand the enormity of what I’m asking you to do?”

Beck swallowed. “Yes.” He stared into the raging flame miles below, fighting the grimace that might distort his face at any moment; he gave thought to hiding behind the mask again. He understood now that his invitation to the Midnight Waltz had come directly from Seith. Beck’s verbal agreement to the assignment had been a mere formality; once one fell into the Creojeanne family’s good graces, utter cooperation or complete ostracision followed. The first required that Beck shatter Schala’s dream utterly; the second meant he would never look upon her again.

Seith removed his crimson-lit glint to Algetty. “God willing, Beck, we’ll smash them down so hard they will never rise up again.”

“God willing,” Beck said, because there was no acceptable alternative. Now that those dingy people miring miles below seemed connected to Schala, Beck finally understood Simaelsus’ vehement push to prove a link between their peoples. However, Bekkler’s work under the king’s patronage had failed to hit its mark. Barring a clone of a living Creojeanne suddenly popping up in Algetty or that slave city’s residents instantaneously acquiring the ability to wield Elemental energy, the Creojeanne family’s machinations would continue to exploit every fledgling doubt and enforce the reigning interpretation that Zeal’s citizens had attained a higher level of evolution than those who toiled beneath them. Dehumanization rendered necessary crackdowns morally acceptable.

Algetty’s nighttime furnace glow reminded him of his people’s preeminent legend: aeons ago Zeal’s predecessors had seized upon a jagged shard of crimson stone shaped like the flaming sun, and they before all other peoples looked into the sky and dreamed, as if a divine power had chosen them to bear human intelligence and ambition. Force of will allowed their bodies to channel unseen energies and with it they conquered the earth.

That roiling flame on the planet’s surface…

The Flame!

Beck’s eyes narrowed. His previous incarnation had never thought to seek experimental access, only catching its form in brief glimpses while it challenged its Arbiter. If the Object was truly the recovered source of his people’s legend as advertised since its discovery, perhaps the tale could be brought to life, recorded, studied, measured.

An idea took shape.

“Incidentally,” Beck started, denying Seith the Ahqz he had turned to deliver before quickly retiring, “I understand that the Earthbound one who attacked her highness remains in the Seneschal’s custody.”

Seith nodded with a yawn. “What of it?”

“He is to be executed, correct?”

The Creojeanne looked off. “Yes. Her Royal Majesty wasn’t well enough to sign the order today. Hopefully tomorrow.” He looked Beck over. “Why do you ask?”

Beck’s eyes remained glued to Algetty. He tossed a nonchalant shrug. “Well. Don’t you think he should – suffer horribly?”

“Oh, he will.”

“I mean for hours.”

He said it briskly and his patron eyed him sidelong. “I’m listening.”

“Before I can move forward I need to conduct a certain experiment, essentially vivisection.” Hands clasped behind his back, Beck adopted an air of logical amorality.  “The – specimen must be alive, and with proper restraints, well…lack of sedatives wouldn’t affect the result. If only I could get a transfer of custody…”

The Creojeanne shoved a hand into a pocket with a rumbling grin. “You’re really something, Beck, you know that?”

“I do.”

Seith worked his mustachioed lips for a thoughtful moment. “Bring this up with the Seneschal when he visits. You should find him…amenable to your needs.” He threw a crisp Ahqz in Beck’s direction and turned away.

The scientist lowered his fist from the brass buttons it had pounded over in reply and turned again so the crimson glow could wash over his face while the Creojeanne’s shoes padded softly away. Fatigue tugged at his body but his mind rushed in renewed exhilaration. A new game, the stakes higher than ever. Could he play it to its conclusion, or would he be discovered and smashed somewhere along the way?

He looked up, picked out the star Alphard hanging in the midnight sphere far above. A new life in service of a new Simaelsus. Guruship was out of the question this time, but perhaps, if his spongelike brain had picked up anything from the late king, he could maneuver through sheer political stratagem. He had wronged Schala that night and he would make amends.

Beck had been honest about one thing: he supposed the unfortunate Earthbound who dared to raise a weapon against her entourage would experience extreme discomfort should his body be forced upon the Flame. Anything coming into being required pain. Dreams especially.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 09:08:54 pm »
Oh, one last thing! The promenade entrance and dance scene was created with an Enigma song called "Fata Morgana" in mind. I always have the first couple minutes of Cirque du Soleil's "Jeux d'Enfants" playing in my mind when Seith commands the Shikari instrumentalists play a cheerful tune again.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 01:44:00 am by FaustWolf »

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 03:21:05 pm »
Read the first part, and two more to go. I loved the seamless transition between reality and flashback! One question, though: what were the mirrors? XD Some kind of a reflective wall surrounding the Great Palace?

Hah, when I read about KZ in there as he sighed, I couldn't help but think he dazed off into pondering over his quarrels with the Queen, as he did in Alphard and Demeria. The stories are linked! :D
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 03:23:06 pm by tushantin »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 06:23:58 pm »
Yeah, the fact that Beck's standing in front of a mirror at the beginning is implied in a bit of "show me, don't tell me." I may have pushed the concept to an extreme there, but I was probably inspired by the "jingling of the bells" in Poe's Cask of Amontillado. There, a dude wearing a clown hat with some kind of bell attached was being lit on fire (err, long story) and rather than telling the reader that the guy was in great pain, Poe just described the horrible jingling of the bells. The reader had to surmise what was happening exactly -- and the possibility that it's still unclear is a risk inherent in the "show me, don't tell me" technique I think.

It really is a fanfic of ZeaLitY's fanfic -- that's how far we've come without new canon to digest, I suppose. I was intrigued by the world of exquisite clothing and masks ZeaLitY envisioned for the Midnight Waltz scene in "Alphard and Demeria," and wanted to spend some more time exploring it further. Schala's age is a discrepancy; I guess I've always thought of her as a bit older than the average age Chrono fandom would probably apply to her.

I just realized how ironic it is, that Janus' ill-fated dream of becoming Schala's Seneschal (an invention of course, but not an unreasonable one IMO) does come to pass in Radical Dreamers. In a convoluted way, of course, but a dream fulfilled almost to the letter nonetheless. Chrono Cross was so tragic in that regard.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 05:55:50 am »
I just realized how ironic it is, that Janus' ill-fated dream of becoming Schala's Seneschal (an invention of course, but not an unreasonable one IMO) does come to pass in Radical Dreamers.
8)

Janus: Even if all of kingdoms fell and Zeal's Laws do not apply, so be it if the skies darkened with a promise of doom. For there are monsters out there, and from them I shall protect you with my life. I am your humble Seneschal, at your ever beck and call, and will always be till the very end of time.

TheMage

• Artist of Termina
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Dreaming through time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 10:18:12 pm »
This was epic Faustwolf and left me yearning for more! I'm eagerly waiting the larger project!

I kicked myself in the ass for not realizing he was Bekkler sooner than I did and his last name was a clue!

The Midnight Waltz was beautiful and I loved the dance between Beck and Schala. A wonderful depiction of Zealian culture and tradition - it was a fantastic read! Or should I say radical?

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 01:16:23 am »
Hey, thanks Mage! Yeah, I think the greatest value of this exercise for me was the worldbuilding aspect, and observing what my work owed to previous writers. It's like a candle wick that's been dipped in time and again, as one writer's vision influences the next; sometime I'd be interested in collecting samples of fan writing having to do with Zeal, ordering them chronologically, and seeing how the level of detail builds from one work to the next. That'd be a fun exercise.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 06:52:41 am »
 :o I finally went through the whole thing! And this one deserves a standing ovation.  8) My skills may only be limited to telling a story, but you go to the depths, trailing the character's thoughts! So he began cloning Alfy first, aye?  :lol: Really, cats are now going for world domination.

There was a lot of feedback I wanted to give ya while reading, but... ya know, illness. Forgotten a lot, but do I retain some thoughts on it.

When I read about Schala and Beck's dance, for some reason the song that kept popping in my head was this. xD Now imagine the Shikari singing this, because the lyrics kinda suit the situation.

For one thing, Beck might be a freak but he understood one thing well: men may go for mere lusty pleasures of the flesh, but only when the women of their dreams smile their heartfelt smile is when that they realize that the gift was theirs to give. A true man would pluck the stars from the skies for his love just to see her smile, because her honest smile is what make this world a paradise.  :cry:

I also liked the subtle similarities of personality between Schala and Kid in there; for a moment I thought she'd snap like Kid and say, "Take a walk, mate!" But her heritage taught her to be accepting, well-mannered and grateful to offers it seems.

This means, though the character was meant to be an ass (I'd go so far as to insult him with "Dumbass" for his erroneous remark to Schala), but as you said he evolves into something lovable (though not necessarily nice, I imagine?). I loved how you developed Beck's character from humble and shy to an understanding and daring dreamer, but the ending speaks a whole lot more to me. And here it is!

The scientist lowered his fist from the brass buttons it had pounded over in reply and turned again so the crimson glow could wash over his face while the Creojeanne’s shoes padded softly away. Fatigue tugged at his body but his mind rushed in renewed exhilaration. A new game, the stakes higher than ever. Could he play it to its conclusion, or would he be discovered and smashed somewhere along the way?

He looked up, picked out the star Alphard hanging in the midnight sphere far above. A new life in service of a new Simaelsus. Guruship was out of the question this time, but perhaps, if his spongelike brain had picked up anything from the late king, he could maneuver through sheer political stratagem. He had wronged Schala that night and he would make amends.
This brings chills down my spine, knowing what's to come next, and my mind switched from the Enigma track to De Mundi Statu as he dares challenging a seemingly inevitable fate. He becomes a Hero Unsung; it's him against the world.

But what really gets me excited is how he develops into his crazy self in CT. He starts out curious, humble and shy, but falls and love and dreams a simple dream, and realizes Schala's impossible idea. He unintentionally crushes her in sorrow, but makes amends by embracing her dreams as his own. What he becomes is a trickster so crazy that he'd turn the world upside down just to do the impossible.

There's a quote which says, "Making the world better doesn't require a show of it. Do good with your right hand such that even your left hand wouldn't know."

And this makes me think:
Schala: Experimenting on the Earthbound? You're a monster!

Beck: Hush, your highness! I create monsters, and this is none of your business. Off you go, and do not disturb me.

(Waits until Schala leaves, opens the cages)

Beck: Psst! The cost is clear.

(Plays mouth organ, then dances crazily with the Earthbound for about a minute.)

Beck: To paradise, my brethren!
:lol: Or at least that's how I think of it.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 06:54:56 am by tushantin »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 05:01:29 pm »
Thanks tushantin, it's great to get an impression of how others interpret the meaning at length like this.

I'd say Beck's character arc was just getting started at the end. The final result would have been to discover that the meaning of his existence was to help others fulfill their dreams with the means available to him, and give them the Agency necessary to do so; hence the Crono clone in Chrono Trigger. And all while being just a little badass. Definitely one of the archetypes I want to carry with me long-term in whatever endeavors I end up pursuing.

But the key to his turnaround is empathy. Without the ability to see that others could dream, and what their dreams meant to them, Beck would have just been stewing in his own weird emotional state until he self-destructed or something.

Reading this again after a few years, I'm surprised at how well I ended up liking the Beck/Janus scene. I can't find it for the life of me now, but there was a really exquisite fanart of Janus with Alfador that inspired that -- tangible references are hugely helpful to me. I'll link it if I can find it again. Hee hee, good thing I put that scene in, because it gives me at least some hook for contributing it to this Dream Splash!.

As for cloning Alfador, Beck was just thinking it'd be a cool thing to do. I can't blame him. Though the research he conducted in his previous life probably contributed in no small way.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 06:26:49 pm »
Hah, but that makes Beck a Super-Dreamer:shock: Other people have but one dream, at most two they can fulfill, but Beck now takes upon himself to help fulfill a hundred dreams (Schala, Alphard, Algetty folks, Lucca and friends, and anyone else you have in mind), always a helping hand to give a second chance to the fallen, always looking out for the determined ones. So yeah, if anyone deserves more respect than KZ even, this guy's it!  :wink:

But the key to his turnaround is empathy. Without the ability to see that others could dream, and what their dreams meant to them, Beck would have just been stewing in his own weird emotional state until he self-destructed or something.
:lol: Well said. Temptation has always been the downfall of even the mightiest, for no man is infallible (old Hindu philosophy, but still true). But when empathy comes into play the tables turn, you see the horizon and realize that you're a part of something much bigger and glorious.

Haha, sorry, that World Domination thing was a funny reference to LOLCats/Polar Detective. Though I still wonder if Bekkler created some intelligent species of cats to spy on Crono and co for him, just to let him know they were safe.  :o