Author Topic: Is _____ really all that cool?  (Read 772 times)

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
Is _____ really all that cool?
« on: June 23, 2011, 04:34:05 pm »
So I was doing some research for a fanfic and got to the point where I wondered which characters would fit in what parts, and I said to myself "Okay time to use some of those cool characters from Chrono Cross", and even though I remember the favorites (Glenn, Norris, etc.), I couldn't really remember WHY they were considered so cool.

Basically this is a cross-game character appreciation thread, but I'd like some focus on Cross/RD characters. Try not to just say "Norris is my favorite character because he's Norris, 'nuff said," or "Harle is pretty and mysterious because of this mystery boner she gave me." I know there's the Character Rating polls, but those are old and had a time limit, and the Further Character Discussion thread was more about rating the characters. This is about favorites and why.

So talk about histories, developments, maybe even link to your favorite portrayal of said characters in fanworks. You might even find out your favorite was your favorite for completely wrong reasons.

Bard_of_Time

• Guardian (+100)
  • Music changes history, you know.
    • View Profile
Re: Is _____ really all that cool?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 04:40:10 pm »
I've always liked Kid, but maybe it's my male fascination with action girls in very little clothing. For other characters, though, I like Glenn. He's got something to live up to, someone to be, and he's doing his very damned best to be it. The feelings Riddel had for Dario, Karsh basically being next in line and a nasty reminder, trying to be someone he isn't... very intruiging.

I gotta say my least favorite though is that damned flower thing. But that's not the topic at hand.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 06:00:52 pm »
This guy:

He's a pirate, has direct relations to a handful of characters, kickass tech skills, and great character development (I'd argue more than Serge), and is incredibly useful--borderline necessary--for most of the game. And he commandeers his own ship. After he calls his other self a sissy.

Fargo is badass.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 09:44:51 pm »
Why Karsh is always ignored? Hehe, he's one of the few characters in game who actually have both of their parents. And for some reason, I think he has the most realistic personality and a cinematic back story. :P Take a look at the other Acacia Devas, Marcy is of the most annoying type, Zoah has a completely unknown history which is probably favored by those fanfic writers, and Dario is a perfect second banana in the Masamune side quest.

Manly Man

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Don't be a pussy. She looks legit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 03:12:32 am »
I must admit, when I first saw Karsh I'd gotten the impression that he would be a borderline bishie, what with the hair color and his flamboyant sense of fashion, but I was delightfully proved wrong. He's a jerk, occasionally an asshole, mean and I love every second of it. I actually prefer him to Glenn if I need a green on my team, especially considering his stats; he's got great hit points, wonderful strength and toughness,and his magic isn't all that bad. Very much a rgeat choice when it comes to playability.

My absolute favorite is Grobyc, though. I had him on my team just about as soon as I got him, and repeatedly kicked ass. Gotta love the arm, and with how he shoots it reminds me of Robo, though Robo has never looked as cool.  Considering he's very much melee-based, I think he's awesome, as he's even got some decent magic stats. He's got nothing that stands out as a real weakness, and his apathy and use of logic has always been food for comedic thought. It's always the hard and stern ones that take the most crap from the fandom, anyway. :3

Though, at first I liked him mostly because his hair was spectacular, and I wanted to keep him around just for the cool factor. Turns out he was a lot more useful than that.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 03:43:06 am »
Though, at first I liked him mostly because his hair was spectacular, and I wanted to keep him around just for the cool factor. Turns out he was a lot more useful than that.
You like his hair?

Well at first I thought the design was almost funny until I knew it is one of his powerful weapons, for that reason it definitely falls into the category of cool.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 03:45:34 am by utunnels »