Author Topic: The Doors of Destiny (could not be broken)  (Read 10629 times)

Bard_of_Time

• Guardian (+100)
  • Music changes history, you know.
    • View Profile
Re: The Doors of Destiny (could not be broken)
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 10:56:08 pm »
I still don't think we should give up. There's always the possibility of starting a company, but if that doesn't work out, we could always get some bigger site on board. Nothing ever works out the first time (except when it does), and if it fails, try it again, but different. We do not give up! We are the Chrono Compendium, a compendium of all things chrono! :kamina

justinstcharlesmusic

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • Echoes of the Algorithms
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2011, 11:09:13 pm »
Starting a company for the sake of a short interview is a bit overkill and would probably be viewed as such. We reached out, adequate contact was established, and the answer was no. To continue asking for the same thing would only start to make us look bad.

BUT.

What I can (and will) do for the next few weeks though, is message Yasunori directly via Twitter repeatedly until he answers me...or doesn't. I'll take the risk of looking bad personally instead of this whole community, a final effort.

I'll have Magus22 construct something new for me in Japanese, short and sweet. I'll be back when I have those results.

Wish me luck people.

Corpse69

• Porrean (+50)
  • Without a fight no one lives on
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2011, 09:45:31 pm »
ahhh well they want to do this through a company why not make a non profit one XD anyone can start one up with less then 5 cents to there name these days good try tho mate

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2011, 04:14:13 pm »
Don't take this so personally. The guy is busy, and doing direct interviews with people who are just fans and don't really have any sort of experience in this sort of thing would just end badly for everyone involved. It's awesome that we got as much as we did.

It's not that he "doesn't care about the fans", he's being professional and smart about it.

Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails (with whom Yasunori more than likely has much reverence for) interacts directly with his fans through his website. Measure Trent Reznor's success vs Yasunori. Are you insinuating that Trent Reznor is both unprofessional and unintelligent? You don't need to reply, because it doesn't matter. Bottom line is, 10 minutes could have been taken to satisfy incredibly devoted and loyal fans. Five short questions. It's really that simple. I'm with Magus22 on this.

None the less, speaking of the fans - it's still great to have met a few of ya. Some really fine gents. I'll still be around boys, keep in touch.

Good game, good game.

In all fairness, Trent Reznor is very business savvy, likes to run his own show, and really knows how to reach out to his fans. I'd say he's more the exception than the rule, and a difficult standard to live up to as a musician, a producer, or even a businessman.

I have to agree with you that this is a lost opportunity on the part of Mitsuda though. Just a little effort goes a long ways.

Based on what little I've seen in my few years of studying, living, and working in East Asia though, it's what I'd expect. The culture feels way too stratified, and even if your request wasn't out of place -- being that you're not backed by some kind of media organization -- you'd still have to offer the interview in Japanese so they wouldn't have to risk any embarrassments due to using a second language to communicate and then try to be as accommodating as possible with the questions.

Starting a company for the sake of a short interview is a bit overkill and would probably be viewed as such. We reached out, adequate contact was established, and the answer was no. To continue asking for the same thing would only start to make us look bad.

BUT.

What I can (and will) do for the next few weeks though, is message Yasunori directly via Twitter repeatedly until he answers me...or doesn't. I'll take the risk of looking bad personally instead of this whole community, a final effort.

I'll have Magus22 construct something new for me in Japanese, short and sweet. I'll be back when I have those results.

Wish me luck people.

Good luck! Thanks for all the effort too. You're doing every fan here a big favor.

justinstcharlesmusic

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2011, 09:46:55 pm »
@Ramsus Thank you kind sir. Hope for the best.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2011, 07:51:47 pm »
We really out to hide the actual letter and everything after it. The Compendium got in massive trouble in 2005 for publishing something by Soraya Saga (Xenosaga developer), who afterwards swore not to even respond to fan contact again. We're looking like angry Chrono Trigger Resurrection fans, here.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2011, 08:16:20 pm »
Really? I didn't know that!

edited after Faustwolf' post below.

Good call. :)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 11:14:22 pm by Boo the Gentleman Caller »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2011, 09:47:27 pm »
Yeah, I wasn't aware of that either since it happened before I was around. Since that's the case, I went ahead and restored the [hidden] tags for now. People who click on the topic can still see the entire post, but best not to plaster actual correspondence on the front page in a situation like this.

Sorry justin, hope there's no hard feelings. All the admins are in agreement that this is the best compromise we can make between recognizing the outreach effort and not stirring unintended reaction from developers. The confusion over this is my bad, since I shooped the news post in without being aware of the Soraya Saga episode.

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2011, 02:30:30 am »
yea it's probably best to just let it all go...

I do not want to see the Compendium thrown into the DBT... bad enough my "dream" was crushed by Fate, heh...

Well, I will finish up that CTU Kato interview I put on hiatus several months ago. It was actually near completion too.

justinstcharlesmusic

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
And the final answer is:
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2011, 02:24:02 am »
Here is me asking Yasunori directly via twitter if I could ask him just a few questions about his music on behalf of many fans:

Here is Yasunori replying to me, saying "I'm sorry, I only accept who I know":

« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 04:31:08 pm by justinstcharlesmusic »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2011, 03:24:43 am »
At least you got some kind of answer. Even in the social media age, it looks like this is going to be a tough nut to crack.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2011, 12:04:24 pm »
Shoot, at least he personally responded. Twitter is such an interesting tool.

justinstcharlesmusic

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2011, 04:28:33 pm »
I'm not going to give up, yet. I have a good Japanese friend that is willing to help me with communications for however long I need, and now is a good time to continue having just established direct contact with Yasunori. My next approach is going to be regarding my own music. I am going to ask Yasunori to have a listen to something I have made. He isn't down with random fans, but maybe he is down with random fellow composers/musicians/producers, all of which I am. If Yasunori is down with my music, perhaps he may be more willing to talk.

This will clearly be my last attempt, there is nothing else in common and I have no other reason to communicate with Yasunori. So this is my question guys...

I need to pick 1 song out of the 36 that I have up online. I have different genres to choose from, and it has to be something to his taste. Will you guys go through some of my music and let me know what song you think I should choose? Remember - he is all about emotion in music, but also has an attraction to aggressive arrangements. If a bunch of you suggest the same song, clearly that will be the one that I choose. If I don't get a reply from any of you about this, I'm just going to have to wing it...

Hear my music @ http://soundcloud.com/justinstcharlesmusic

-J
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 04:34:24 pm by justinstcharlesmusic »

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2011, 05:47:09 pm »
It's too bad that not even Mitsuda himself condoned the interview. Hmm. If not Mitsuda, perhaps some other Chrono Trigger/Cross artists would be more willing? Perhaps Masato Kato or Yasuki Honne?

Glad to see you're still at it though. Both you and Magus22 and everyone else who helped have done a great job. Time for me to do my part though. I haven't listened to your music before, so this will be a treat! I'll come back with my favorite when I've finished all 36.

justinstcharlesmusic

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2011, 10:27:00 pm »
Awesome sounds good :) I'll check back soon!