ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Greece
« on: June 15, 2011, 09:35:11 pm »
I hate people defending the EU against Greece. I really, really, bitterly hate them.

I do want the world to be united under one human administration, yes. I do support the World Federalist Movement. But what we have here is the force-feeding of austerity to Greece. If their retirement age is lower than most; if they get a little more vacation time than we do—i.e. if they get to enjoy life a little more than the rest of us wage slaves—more power to them. It is sick to see people advocating for the disruption of their better work/life balance simply in the name of unsustainable economic growth, itself a suicide weapon humanity is plunging into its heart again and again. And most people have no choice but to believe in this unsustainable system, for without perpetual growth, we can't have our materialistic fulfillment. You'll never get your own house, nice car, HD TV, and cruise ship vacations if the system is bogged down by a bunch of Greeks who enjoy life a little more and aren't as chained to the rat race. For that, they will suffer austerity, just as so many other third world countries have—raped by the IMF. And we are all inexorably complicit in this horror. There is no way to live in the first world without being part of the system.

The same goes for capitalism. To have anything, you have to be a wage slave, and that means buying into a system that is unsustainable and is also built on wealth capture for the owners of capital. And the most insidious thing about it is that this culture has been so programmed that we despise the poor, invent excuses for their plight, and praise the wealthy, even while our real wages and benefits have fallen like a fucking rock since the 1970s. And the recent economic crisis? For the very wealthy, there hasn't been one.

I've finally arrived to this point. It took years of study and disillusioning, and was helped by a Master's degree in business. Capitalism was a useful system for rapidly settling new lands and resources, and elevating humanity out of medieval times, but it serves that use no more. It is too corruptible and threatens to extinct life on planet earth by using up all its resources. I don't know what the alternative should be, besides social democracy or something. It is truly eerie how terrifyingly right the dissidents of capitalism were, even in the 1800s; Marx described stock exchanges with chilling accuracy. Technology, education, and Catonic determination on the part of humanists and skeptics are the only possible saviors of humanity. Unfortunately, new technology is first and foremost dominated and exploited by the defense industry long before consumer applications come to light, and education is being cut and reduced across the board by Republicans and American idiots who believe that better bullets somehow matter in an age of nuclear diplomacy.

Fuck this world. If you're young like I am, and still beginning your foray into the system, prepare yourself. We're going to live in interesting times, as overpopulation, the destruction of the environment, and the fulfillment of plutocracy usher in a new era of human suffering.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 09:42:21 pm by ZeaLitY »

tiny260

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • Fan Fiction Profile
Re: Greece
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 10:07:46 pm »
...well I don't know about you guys, but I'm moving to the anti-appocolyptic 1999 AD. They have DOMES!

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 12:59:22 am »
Well, you know where I stand on this. But I don't reject the capitalist system inherently--and, if "social democracy" is in your list of acceptables, then neither do you.

You're right about Greece, and the EU's common currency and lack of central power may be proving itself infeasible as events in that country and a few others play out. Greece can only be assigned some of the blame for its present situation.

We ought to implement population control before cutting into people's standards of living. But before we do that we need to reconnect privileged people to the realities of said standards of living. Americans don't want to hear "population control" or "mandatory conservation," because their personal lives do not glimpse the pressures of environmental pollution and resource depletion. People are spoiled.

The Earth's environment will probably support considerably more humans than there are at present, especially given the curve of innovations, but the decreasing availability of some commodities is going to force changes in how we do things. Then again, that's nothing new to human societies.

I expect that if some kind of uncoordinated mass population contraction occurs (i.e., a catastrophe), it will be human guns primarily to blame. But it also probably won't be in places like the United States, where population growth is small and stable. We also happen not to be physically connected to Eurasia, which is a very good thing.

India looks like the weak link, with its intractable corruption, lack of national honor, strong cultural cynicism, and terrible scarcity of vital resources. I expect the Indians to precede the rest of us in being forced to take drastic action to avert an implosion. And, by the same token, so long as Indians are not dying off by the millions, the phantom menace of global population die-offs will remain intangible.

The EU needs a central government; this crisis may lay the groundwork for exactly that, but somehow I doubt that the Europeans are truly ready yet to put aside centuries-old cultural xenophobiae. America was successful in part because we bypassed all of that by starting with a unified federal republic and fighting a single decisive war to put down any moves toward deunification. If the EU does not centralize, I have doubts that it will remain a viable political entity. Given how the Scottish and the Irish are still going on about the English, for example, I am reluctant to say that people will make the right choice.

Another element of the problem is that mainstream liberalism is so frakked up at the moment, and that includes European-style leftism. The global left is very neurotic right now, having chosen multiculturalism and noninterference over social integration and enforced justice. EU voters in the Netherlands and France rejected the EU charter a few years ago, in large part because it was ridiculously abstruse, overworked, and lacking in the sort of iconic clarity around which bedrock works of sociopolitical identity are forged.

I am a proponent of reducing complexity in our social institutions. We need to do this in order for progress to remain viable. Nowhere is this better exemplified than in our legal and financial establishments, which have rendered themselves totally inaccessible to laypeople and must be simplified into straightforward, functional systems of general principles codified in plain English (or whatever language) whenever practical.

It is that same overcomplexity which doomed the EU charter of a few years back, and continues to threaten the EU today in the form of half-assed integration which inevitably leaves the weak states even more screwed than they would otherwise be.

The Irish make an interesting case. They bowed to international pressures to assume huge debts in exchange for a bailout to protect them from going into default. The Irish bear an irrefutable share of the blame for their irresponsible practices during a long-dreamed-for economic boom, but much of the Irish bubble was the result of economic currents that had nothing to do with Ireland. Essentially the Irish contracted a bug--an economic virus--to which they were particularly susceptible due to their (European-style) liberal economic policies. The bug itself wasn't their fault, and now they're being lent money by some of the people whose fault it is, and forced to impose austerity at home.

A lot of this would be corrected if countries would take longer views of economic development. Capitalism is like a nuclear fission reactor, and governments are the control rods and cooling systems. It never makes sense to generate huge amounts of energy, far in excess of the system's capacity, in a very short period of time--even though there will be a brief period of stellar economic efficiency. Contrary to the views of conservatives, it is private greed and governmental corruption in abetting that greed--and not elaborate governmental controls themselves--which precipitate most economic crises. When countries plan ahead, short-term thinking loses credibility and economies prosper (over the long term) in the slow and steady kind of way that avoids meltdowns.

We'll see about whether life in developed countries becomes dangerous due to global resource competition and environmental changes. I have my doubts. The American system is more robust than it seems, as evidenced by the near-barbaric state of primitiveness in which many individuals persist without the country regressing to a state of medievalism. With sufficient public support and political courage, I suspect many sweeping reforms would be institutionally easier to implement than the doomsayers claim. What's lacking is the aforementioned public support and political courage. Today's Democrats clearly don't have it. Will tomorrow's, or do we need a third party?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 01:16:08 am »
Thank you. It is mighty depressing at times for me, even on a personal level. I realize that activists and people of true humanistic vision have a sorry lot in life; they are ethically compelled to sacrifice their time on fixing the world—not creating art or enjoying its leisures. Add the pressures of maintaining a material foundation, and it becomes maddening. This is not even to speak of other dangers; being an activist in Mexico means surely dying in the next five years, for example. Meanwhile, the ignorant people who perpetuate the need for fixing get to enjoy their dumb lives as normal, until they become temporarily inconvenienced once progressive reform succeeds. Afterwards, they get to enjoy their dumb lives in a better world, while the activist has had no such luxury. I really wonder how Cato was able to do this without completely basing his validation on his ethical behavior.

I just wish there were an organization or a system I could put my work into, knowing that it would not be wasted or diminished by chance. There are a multitude of charities out there that fix symptoms, which, while relieving some human pain, nonetheless enable the system that produced that pain to hobble on and cause more. The greater non-profits and NGOs are scattered and their efforts not coordinated by a central authority, and the more centralized the authority becomes, the more the potential for abuse and bureaucratic quagmires. I've seen NOW (National Organization for Women) cited in America as a victim of this, as despite being large and well-recognized, it has accomplished little compared to others. The United Nations...I did a 20-page research paper (with zeal) on it last year, and though its founding was so promising and right, its actual authority seems kneecapped by the wonky workings of the Security Council. There's also little actual authority and power to do anything, especially given the US's huge hand on the pursestrings. It's no wonder that America can freely buck initiatives like CEDAW. Other gains of international government, like the ICC, seem so slow-going, and the entire organization is constantly vilified as a usurper of national authority (and by the religious as a sign of the end times). And then you have those same nasty strains of respecting ignorance, like that insidious motion to outlaw blasphemy of Islam.

I really like the World Federalist Movement, as its explicit aim is world government. It argues for this based on the existence of worldwide problems that any single nation on its own cannot effectively combat. Its bylaws also seem sound, and some criticize neoliberal economics. But if you ever want to elicit a frightened reaction from someone, just tell them you advocate world government... The http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Humanist_and_Ethical_Union is admirable as well, but ultimately, what do these organizations do anymore, besides lobby the UN for platitudes and get "directives" passed that national governments don't really care to implement or enforce?

How I wish for an Empire of Humanism, or at least the knowledge to know that a contribution to a certain cause would yield the most effective movement towards an illuminated humanity. At present, all I can hope to do is sell my labor to the UN, WFM, Planned Parenthood, or some other admirable organization, while authoring books. And I would really prefer just to create art and enjoy life anyway, but too much of my identity is based on ethical self-honesty. And it hurts.

wiz Khalifa

• Earthbound (+15)
  • smokin' trees in 12000 bc, bitch
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 02:07:38 am »
Greece IS da word

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 10:40:13 pm »
Quote from: ZeaLitY
I just wish there were an organization or a system I could put my work into...

...And I would really prefer just to create art...

Are these necessarily antithetical?

Thanks to a State-level hiring freeze totally obliterating my chances at exercising a more direct role in the cogs of government while I was still in a position to do that*, I've found myself focusing all my energies entirely on the latter within your spectrum. There is definitely a pang of failure in one's removal from the directness of implementing reform, but I still consider it a sufficient victory if I'm able to do what the writers of JRPGs did for me -- get people interested in politics, and more importantly, idealism. Heck, we all wouldn't be here right now if it weren't for Masato Kato's unifying influence. Movies like Apollo 13 dare us to dream of things past generations were capable of, but our direct forebears have fallen short of. The more irrational side of the human brain gives art an incredibly potent punch, letting us pass ideals from generation to generation. Considering you've already got the writing for Crimson Echoes under your belt, I just hope you don't discount its potency.

*No, seriously -- my connections are either completely out of the field due to burnout, in alcohol rehab, or being indicted for bribery. I kid you not. That's some bad worldly luck, more personal matters getting in the way or no. There's not a chance in hell I'm letting that put me down, though!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 02:29:29 pm by FaustWolf »

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 02:13:32 am »
What FaustWolf said, though I'll freely admit that this whole topic is a nemesis.  

I have powerful flight-or-fight response to the idea of martyrdom, which may not be entirely fair. Backbreaking self-denial may be necessary to change anything on a large scale, but-- I can't help but feel the same way I did when people would tell me it's all about love or it's all about serving others when I was young. What's the point without vibrant, brilliant individuals living meaningful lives? What's the point without such people showing others how to do the same by example, as well by helping them through resources and restructuring systems? It feels like a horrific ouroboros to invest all meaning in some vision of others' fulfillment. But it may be necessary. I don't know.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 12:23:20 pm by Syna »