Author Topic: CG R66-Y Revisited, WIP  (Read 3609 times)

Straafe

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
CG R66-Y Revisited, WIP
« on: May 30, 2011, 10:45:33 pm »
Hello all.

Back in the day I did a few CG Chrono Trigger projects (Robo, Magus, and Frog, here was my very first thread here years ago http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php/topic,3412.0.html), as some of you may remember. Well, the other day I was looking at my old robo model and realized how simple it was and how I didn't feel it did the character justice.

So today I've decided to re-create Robo in all the glory he deserves. I will be using this amazing sketch for reference this time, along with adding a significant amount of my own ideas and details, http://scorn-maniac.deviantart.com/art/Chrono-Trigger-fanart-sketch-14962046

This will be the WIP thread. Any of your ideas on how Robo should look in photorealism/reality are greatly appreciated. Let's re-create this bucket of bolts together! The plan is to make him look as real/believable as if you saw him walking down the street.

Comparison of old model and beginning of new model:

Progress thus far:

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Re: CG R66-Y Revisited, WIP
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 11:40:11 pm »
Great idea! I'm looking forward to it! The art your using is one of my favorite Chrono fan art pieces ever. Glad to see it getting some love! :)

Manly Man

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Don't be a pussy. She looks legit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 11:43:08 pm »
Well, lining where his top and bottom half are is a sort of black canvas-looking cloth, so it would do good to put that on the inside of the bottom half so that when you put on the top half, it looks like it's been tacked on inside. Also, as someone else had mentioned, he's got leather flaps around his 'waistline.' If you possibly can, make the textures fit what part is what. Give a bit of a rubber-like texture to the leather, make what little cloth there is look a touch grainy, etc. If you can effect how outright lustrous something is, take almost all of it off of the leather, and reduce the shine on his outer shell to make it look more like a regular piece of steel than that over-polished brassy look that C-3PO has.

If you want to make him look more like he's been well-used, try your luck with making patchy bits of rust at the edges of the plates and streak it down from the bolts.

Licawolf

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 11:48:02 pm »
This is looking fantastic!!  :shock: Me too, I'm looking forward to it.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 06:18:13 pm »
HOLY SHIT! HOLY SHIT!

.... Can it take on Megatron?

Straafe

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 07:34:06 pm »
@tushantin: With ease.

@Manly Man: Great ideas! I agree with all of them. I'll do the texturing after the modeling is about done.

Progress update, upperbody and head started but not complete yet:

Manly Man

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 11:54:42 pm »
I think he looks great so far. In general, he's built very much like the official art shows, although I think that the cap on top of his head is kinda small. From what I remember, it's a little taller, though not by much, and maybe the entire 'face' is a bit wider. I still think it looks great, though. Keep it up!

tiny260

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • Fan Fiction Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 09:14:44 am »
Will this Robo be so epic people from around the world will flock to see it?

In my personal opinion, the short answer is yes.

Long answer? Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees.

Straafe

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 09:39:54 pm »
@Manly Man: Thanks. I'm going for more of a conceptual/believable look (like that fan sketch) rather than the official art, so his proportions and whatnot won't be like in the official game art. You're right about the head, it is too small. I made it a little larger but I think it still might be a tad small.

Another thing is, should he have two "hand" arms (fan sketch/sprites), one gun arm and one hand arm(official art), or something else?

Here's an update. Need to finish his back and add the leather on his waist and head. Any other details you guys would like to see?

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 10:37:42 pm »
I think a gun arm would most definitely be excellent... It's really looking great!

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 11:13:41 pm »
I have an idea about that. You could make either arm a gun arm, where the barrel exit is the palm(like iron man sorta) and the fingers retract into the forearm(like wolverine's claws sorta) when the palm is in position. Don't forget, though, about the tech where his fist flies at the enemy on a chain. It might be cool to see a small wench attached somewhere.

Once you get to coloring, it'd be awesome to see hard rust spots and maybe chips of leftover blue paint in places that don't have as much natural wear and tear, since you're going for realism.

Awesome work! Don't give up!

Manly Man

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 11:35:32 pm »
If possible, modify the left arm to have a bit of both. The wheel that's on top in the official art could be treated like a roll of the chain that holds the fist, and have it on the side of his wrist. Meanwhile, have the gun on top of the wrist, the barrel stopping just above his hand, Make him look more like it's a utility arm, as when you see the sprite working on things, he uses both hands to fiddle with computers and whatnot.

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 11:43:05 am »
Also, for his laser techs, I'm reasonably sure he opens up his chest, so maybe something there that looks like it opens up to blast you in the face would be good.

Excellent work, by the way. Truly excellent.

Straafe

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 10:54:36 pm »
Wow! Great ideas! I am definitely sold on the utility arm, which will include a hand, gun, and the wench/chain. I'll be adding that next along with the leather and whatnot. The laser chest/opening chest would be a bit tougher to implement, though, but I will try to think of something.

When I get to the texturing i will definitely be going for the rusted out/worn look.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 08:08:40 pm »
XD Man, I can't wait to see it textured (and if possible, animated; can I have the source files, Blender format if possible, when you're done with textures?). If I ever get around to finishing Nadia's Bell and modelling Crono and Dalton, I'd like you on my team!