Author Topic: Modern Day Fairy Tales  (Read 1308 times)

rushingwind

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
Modern Day Fairy Tales
« on: May 17, 2011, 02:42:22 am »
"You mean only some of us can hear it?"

"Only some of us are listening."

What makes a story more than just a story?

In many ways a lot of modern media, such as movies or TV shows, try to be more than "just" a show. A lot of different examples are out and about, such as this website itself, for example. We like Chrono Trigger, or we wouldn't be here, right? To us, the ones that stay and continue to love the Chrono games, there is something deeper there. Perhaps we think of it as a modern fairy tale. Perhaps we just think it's cool. Maybe we liked Zeal, or Crono, or any number of things from the game.

I worked in the movie business for eight years, five of which I spent working at a movie theater. In the earlier days I had to personally watch and inspect every movie and every preview. God, was that not fun. If you put all workplace drama aside and focused on that alone, that made the job a royal pain. Why? Because most movies suck. They are hastily cobbled together or they're all carbon copies with new names and new actors. "Oh, it's another chick flick. Oh look, it's another fantasy movie. Oh look, another scary movie." When you have to watch countless new movies each week just to make sure the reels are free of defects and that all the previews have been spliced together with the main film correctly, it becomes a chore. You begin to see how repetitive and boring Hollywood really is.

There are a few exceptions. Some studios, like Pixar, are known for their tendency to work on story first and pretty graphics later. Their movies are labors of love four years or more in the making, and with that kind of time, it shows in the final product. For the most part, though, it seems a lot of movies (even some of Pixar's) try to establish themselves as modern fairy tales and fall flat.

Two days ago, a friend asked me which movies of all the ones I'd seen through the years at the theater stood out in my memory. It was an interesting exercise in thought, and in the end, I could give her only three answers: District 9, because it is the exemplification of everything Sci-Fi is supposed to do (and really, it's probably the single most disturbing movie I've ever seen, not because of content, but because of its message). Sunshine, for exploring the bizarre connection humans have with their settings. And finally, August Rush, for accomplishing what a lot of other movies have tried to do--become a modern fairy tale.

From beginning to the end, August Rush defies explanation. There's not an easy way to even give a synopsis of it. "Well, there's this boy who's looking for his parents, and... he's really good with music, but uh... There's so much else going on, but it's really actually very simple." The best way I can describe it is this: It is the story of humanity, told through music.

It opens on a young boy in an orphanage, a boy who just happens to be a musical prodigy. (Seriously, the movie depicts this kid as possibly being even more gifted than Mozart.) He hears music everywhere he looks, from the wind to the sounds of cars. And he's convinced the music he hears is the music his parents heard on the night they met... And if he could just find a way to play the music, his parents would find him. And thus begins the most unbelievable story of incredible talent and sheer determination I have ever witnessed on a movie screen. This boy, August, becomes a superhero wielding music and ingenuity as his tools.

August Rush only feigns at being serious, which is where it goes wrong with most of the critics. It's painted like a story that could actually happen, except, obviously, it never would. August Rush makes no apologies for being unbelievable. But the magic of the story is the value of pausing, and wondering... Is this possible? Would you wait eleven years for your true love? Could you really hear the music, if only you were listening? Truth is stranger than fiction, right? And the most interesting part of all: there's no divinity, no supernatural force guiding the events. There is only the power of sheer determination, of devotion, and the value of never losing hope.

The movie is a perceptual masterpiece. For anyone who loves music, and may have wondered, "Hmm, what might it have been like in Mozart's head?", August Rush gives you a possible answer. It very keenly shows what the world looks like to someone who is a musical genius. If you've ever heard music in the wind or set the twinkling of distant stars to musical notes, you would like the world you see in August Rush. If you have ever listened to a beautiful song, and thought the world would be a poorer place without it, you should watch this movie.

It's also a musical masterpiece. The entire score consists of bits and pieces of surreal tones, arpeggios, and three small themes. Though the movie, the chaos and dreamlike nature of the notes mature, until August finally brings them together in the breathtaking "August's Rhapsody" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhDZ5_pTcHA). The composer is said to have spent five years creating this one song. It shows. But even listening to the song isn't enough to appreciate how well-crafted this story is. When you listen to this seven-minute song and realize that each and every second of it has shown up somewhere else in the movie, that each musical thread is telling the entire story all over again... That is more than just a musical masterpiece. I don't think we even have a word to represent that.

August Rush has all the features of the traditional fairy tale. The good guys, bad guys, tragedy, heartbreak, the magical feeling, justice, and of course, true love. But it isn't telling the story of gods and goddesses, or extolling virtues of religion or culture. Instead, it is a fairy tale about humanity told through music, and the great things we're capable of.

The preview doesn't do this movie justice, because there's no way to explain what it's about in a three minute ad. But I remember watching that preview long before it came out, and it caught my interest. Maybe it's because I'm such a music person (If I had to chose, I'd rather be blind than deaf, because I don't know how I would live my life without music). I'm certainly not a movie person. The first ten minutes of the movie used to be on Youtube, and may still be. My biggest gripe about the preview is it makes it look like the lovers, August's parents, just went their separate ways willy nilly, when in fact, they were forcefully separated and simply could not find each other, no matter how hard they looked. (But really, if your biggest complaint about a movie is it's preview, then that movie's doing pretty good.)

Here's the preview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUQ0qxmr2Gc

Talking with my friend about the movie really made me remember how much I loved this story all over again. Did anyone else see it? Has anyone else seen any other surreal movies that seemed like modern fairy tales?

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
Re: Modern Day Fairy Tales
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 05:26:02 am »
I didn't care for the movie at all.  I felt it was incredibly cliche and contrived.  Even if the movie was striving to be something of a modern fairy tale, it fell completely flat for me.  I didn't resonate with any of the characters; I thought they were very one-dimensional and dull.  Determined, genius kid?  Sure.  Love-sick cellist?  Sure.  Callous ex-rock star?  Sure.  That was it.  If the screenwriters were trying to give the main characters any sort of depth, I certainly didn't feel it.

As far as "seeing into the eyes of a mini-Mozart", I didn't buy it.  I thought his seeing and hearing music in everything didn't set up his musical genius at all.  It came out of nowhere for me and I thought "Oh great.  Another Mary Sue genius kid."

I love music.  I love music so much, as does D--who plays the violin and the guitar beautifully and used to play violin in our university's symphony.  I have most definitely heard the beautiful sounds of wind as musical, have found deep solace in having my favourite music run through my head through immensely horrible times, and I can completely understand the feeling that the world is a richer place because of the beauty of music.

And having synesthesia only adds to my deep appreciation for music, for not only can I hear it, but I can taste it, see it, and feel it as well.

Despite all of that, D and I couldn't stand the movie.  I'll watch Amadeus instead to experience the sublime and enchanting nature of music and what it feels like to be completely devoted to such a trying, magical, and sometimes devastating art.  August Rush did not convey that at all to me.  I felt it was sappy, shallow, and--above all--incredibly cliche.

I am glad you enjoyed it though.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 05:36:11 am by Sajainta »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 05:58:19 am »
Meet Joe Black comes to mind as a movie I enjoyed that I would feel comfortable calling a modern faerie tale. (Or, since we're being modern, "fairy" tale.) It's the story of an accomplished businessperson who learns from Death that he is doomed to die very soon. Meanwhile, Death has taken Pittly form to observe mortal existence, and falls in love with the protagonist's daughter. The overall premise is definitely the stuff of fairy tales, and there are some good lines in the movie which reach out toward the sweeping themes to which fairy tales so often aspire. I love the line at the end, when the businessperson is about to die and asks Death if he should be afraid. Death answers "Not a man like you." It's deliciously ambiguous. You could take it to be a reference to Christian salvation, but I take it as affirmation that he didn't waste his life, that he achieved what he set out to achieve. And of course there are fireworks and palaces and other accoutrement of fairy tales, combined with modern fairy tale counterparts like coffeehouses and corporate theater.

I've never seen August Rush clear through, although I did watch the song you mentioned--I think you were the one who showed it to me! I couldn't tell you if I fall more on the Rushingwind side of the criticism spectrum, or the Sajainta side, or somewhere squarely in between.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 06:22:15 am »
There are a lot of foreign films that come to mind. Specifically, french films. REALLY specifically, these three:

I Dare You To Love Me - a crazy story about two people who won't admit they love each other, but will play life-threatening games to try and prove it without the words they can't say. my description doesn't do it justice. it's brilliant, and the lead actress (played Mol in Inception) is now in American movies and is supposedly playing Thalia Al Ghul in the new Batman. That aside, she's amazing. This movie got me hooked on the song "La Vie en Rose" and I'm not even joking.

City of Lost Children - 1990s special effects and cinematography that look like michel gondry and terry gilliam got drunk together on the set. the story is this lighthearted but disturbing tale about a mad scientist who can never dream so he has a bunch of clone henchmen for some reason and also he steals kids. Ron Perlman is a main character, even though the entire movie is in French. again, my description doesn't do it justice.

Delicatessen - decidedly dark, this post-apocalyptic comedy is about an apartment complex whose landlord is a butcher in the middle of a famine, and who has an extra room. who's going to fill the room? Dinner.

speaking of Terry Gilliam, (and technically still on the subject of foreign film because he is British) "Brazil" is still incredible. it's basically his version of 1984, but with so many delightful concepts, images, dreamscapes, performances, and humorous tidbits, it's easy to forget that the story's really depressing when all is said and done.

and going to an extreme with the concept of "modern fairy tale" is a movie you might scoff at, but might not. "Sucker Punch", as described by the director, is "Alice in Wonderland with Machine Guns", but so much more than that. It rips off Inception a little bit with the layers of reality and fantasy, but is a legitimately thrilling tale of "Baby Doll", an otherwise nameless girl who is due for a lobotomy. How her mind deals with what's going on? By falling into a fantasy realm where her metaphorical battles are made quite literal. It gets even better when she pulls the other mental patients (all girls) into the fantasy with her, and together they truly kick some (zombie, robot, dragon, orc, samurai, you name it!) ASS.

finally, a not-well-known American movie that takes place in france and has dustin hoffman, Perfume: A Story of a Murderer. It's about a boy who's born in extremely filthy conditions and almost dies, but ends up living and developing a strange trait: a superhuman sense of smell. He discovers, upon entering a city full of well-off people, the existence of perfume. He becomes obsessed and tries to learn the methods of creating a perfect perfume, a legendary perfume, by capturing the scent of several young girls. unfortunately to capture their scent he has to kill them, and he has no problem with that. the ending is a REAL shocker, I did not see it coming and honestly I let out a single "BAHA!" when I saw it for the first time. Still gets me, honestly.

^ugh, sorry about my odd choices of what to capitalize. i'm not fixing it, the suggestions are good, and i think all available on netflix (except sucker punch, it's still new) and some of them even on instant view! they all have a very strange feel, and in their own way i'd say each feels like a fairy tale. just not the princess gets saved and everyone lives happily ever after kind.

FOR REALZIES final suggestion, this one is NOT fairy tale like at all, but if you want to see another movie that portrays the way people interpret sound, there's a film (possibly British) called "It's All Gone Pete Tong" about a (fake) famous DJ who goes deaf, and makes an impressive comeback (I won't say how, but I will say it's worth watching)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 06:31:05 am by Mr Bekkler »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 10:47:35 am »
The best adult fairy tale I have seen has to be, without a doubt, Amelie.

Here's a low-res trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sECzJY07oK4

It's a French film about a young isolationist who finds a box of childhood trinkets hidden in the wall of her apartment. She decides to try and find the owner, and if she does, she decides that she is going to start being more sociable and start helping people, forcing herself out of her comfort zone. She ultimately finds the owner, and seeing how much it meant to the man, she makes the radical transformation into a secret do-gooder. As her life intertwines with those she meets, she eventually gets entangled in a mystery of finding a strange man whose pictures are always left behind in photo booths, which also ties into her own sort of love story.

It is a GREAT GREAT GREAT film. No dragons or fairy's, but it is a great film. If you can handle the English subtitles, I can't recommend this movie enough. The soundtrack alone is enough to make you jump with glee.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 03:38:07 pm »
I came so close to recommending that one Boo, but it's been too long for me to even try to describe it, it is a truly satisfying film that will keep you giggling at the characters and the stylized look of the whole thing will keep your jaw down.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 07:25:33 pm »
I'm with Rushingwind on this one: Truth is indeed stranger than fiction. If something in Fiction seems possible, but obviously can't be, then despite all odds or how unlikely it is, you can safely assume that it has already happened in some form but we are not aware of it. Every fiction can be traced to reality or actual events, and it is but a writer's liberty that brings in tribute or change. This makes me wanna see August Rush (I've fallen in love with this poster), Amelie and Amadeus (though the latter is further from the truth).  :) Because indeed, I too hear music in every events of my life. I still remember watching the twin towers fall on TV while a tragic military tune played in my mind. I still hear ambiguous music of hope playing in the wind when I ride my bicycle, trying to shake off sorrow. I still hear Secret Garden playing in my head when I hear about stories of adventure, or Corvas Corax when hearing or watching conflict. To me, music is the breath of the universe.

Oh, and my prayer when facing examinations? Do the impossible, see the invisible!

Anime always has influence in pop-culture, and as such, Gurren Lagann is already nominated. Another which qualifies as modern Fairy Tale would actually be Deathnote. You have a protagonist with dreams of bringing the world to justice, a Death God, a mysterious detective, personal strife, man against the world scenario, love forsaken, deception, crime and punishment. It questions morality, its limits and flaws, and it explores the concept of justice in far grounds, whether an innocent should pay for crimes committed by someone else if it means to cleanse a whole city, etc. Till today, most people don't merely refer to this anime as simply something entertaining, but something knowledgeable and referable. Something that changed the way people think.

A similar modern fairy tale, which the author mostly tries to recreate, would be a Gulliver's Travels inspired Kino's Journey, which yet again explores the depths of the human mind, of society and of the world.

In books, I'd say every kid's favorite fairy tale would actually Artemis Fowl, especially the first book. It re-explores the concepts of Fairies, mixing things up with Die Hard, but with a kid version of Prof. James Moriarty (aka, Criminal Mastermind stereotype) as the protagonist/anti-hero. His quest? Kidnap an Elven soldier and hold her for ransom, indirectly triggering a cross-species war. The thing that gives this book away as a fairy tale is that despite the protagonist's evil deeds, despite all his ruthless schemes, deep down he still has a human, compassionate side.

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 12:35:00 am »
I've thought about this a lot, and I still struggle with it; because a good story is not necessarily a modern fairytale, and vice-versa. The Star Wars movies, for instance, are not exactly technically good on any number of levels, but I don't think anyone can doubt their function in the culture as a modern fairytale. Neil Gaiman's Sandman had its starts and stops, but it certainly qualifies as well. Hmm.

I second Amelie and certainly Amadeus. In both of those cases, what you find are characters who are, in a sense, iconic. They are highly individualistic, and also in their way symbolic, representative of their particular human conditions. (If you have any investment in yourself as an artist and you can't relate to Salieri on some level, I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion... to quote another modern fairytale.) They are larger-than-life, but in a way that is, I think, very resonant of certain aspects of ourselves, certain "archetypal" states of being that many of us have experienced.

I also second Terry Gilliam: virtually everything the man touches is a fairytale. Which brings me to my second point, I guess: dream-logic, a kind of internal consistency that makes intuitive sense but is very hard to parse out on a purely rational level. Terry Gilliam's movies are often tangential and nonsensical, but they certainly always make a kind of sense. Jim Henson and Tim Burton are also extremely good at this sort of story -- at their best, anyhow.

Pixar's less surreal; their success seems to largely be determined by the fact that they are simply convinced that Story Matters. They stand out because they're good, and because this is a rarity in the entertainment industry. But other than that, they seem to know the value of a simple, heartfelt story, one which deals with big issues, but not in a heavyhanded sort of way. They also have a knack for very unique and individualistic characters.

Others off the top of my head: Pan's Labyrinth is a bit obvious. Der Himmel Uber Berlin is a German movie, one of my favorites: it's about an angel that falls in love and becomes human himself, and from that simple, typical story comes one of the most poignant meditations on life I've ever seen. Black Swan I've mentioned before, I think; if you don't look at it as a fairytale, it falls apart into cliches, but if you see it in terms of its riffs on doppelgangers, female stereotypes, and Jung's "shadow," it becomes much more interesting.

(BTW, Sajainta, you're synaesthetic? What kinds do you have?)

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 04:25:47 pm »
"My dad told me that... so long as you're alive... it's marvelous." -- Unnamed Big Soldier

Returning to this topic, since we're on about modern day Fairy Tales, I absolutely must mention Jackie Chan's "Little Big Soldier". And it's not just because it's a "Jackie Chan" movie, but because it's one of the few Jackie Chan movies that don't bother with Jackie kicking people's asses with Passive-Aggressive Wushu, beyond "Shinjuku Incident", and focuses on one thing and one thing only -- the story!

In fact, the protagonists don't even have names! Jackie's character is called "Big Soldier" or "Little Man" throughout the movie, while the secondary protagonist is called "Little General". The whole movie begins after a bloodbath battle where only these two protagonists survive, one from the Liang army and another from Wei. The General of Wei is destined to defeat his rival Kingdoms and unite China under one rule (hello, Cedric Guardia!), whereas the Soldier is a mere farmer with simple life and simple dreams, with no greed save for the need of freedom and life. As the story progresses, it instantly dabbles into great depths, taking previous concepts to a newer level. And considering the story was writer by Chan himself, it instantly removes him as the stereotype of a "Kung Fu Action Star", giving him more qualities than he is ever credited for.

This movie makes you laugh, and then cry, then laugh again, then cry again (and the last movie which did just that was "3 Idiots"), and most importantly it gives you plenty to think about without giving straight answers. The movie his a historic interpretation, and as such doesn't have any magic elements either, and yet the world here seems to be a fantastical stage. This movie is nothing short of a fairy tale you're bound to love.

Beyond even that, Leehom Wang is starting to grow on me!

[youtube]UyzLzOC2Z5s[/youtube]

You know how this inspires me? To write freaking war tales of the Late Vedic Mahajanapadas wars!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 04:28:05 pm by tushantin »