Author Topic: Square Enix Hurting!  (Read 3177 times)

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Square Enix Hurting!
« on: May 16, 2011, 10:40:08 pm »
http://wii.ign.com/articles/116/1168198p1.html

The company responsible for both aforementioned games -- Square Enix -- released its financial details for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2011. The information doesn't bode well for the company. I'll let Square Enix's president Yoichi Wada tell you himself with the truncated version of what's going on. "[Square Enix] experienced significantly lower sales and profit during the fiscal year mainly due to weak performance of console game titles released during the year as well as the impact of a continued delay in billing for a key online title, which was newly launched during the year."

RELEASE A FREAKING CHRONO GAME.

It doesn't even have to be on the PS3/Wii/Wii2/Xbox360... Heck, I'd be more than happy for Trigger-equivalent graphics on the 3DS or PSP.

tiny260

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • Fan Fiction Profile
Re: Square Enix Hurting!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 10:48:11 pm »
Maybe, Square Enix, you should take a step back and find your roots. Most countries fall when they stray away from the points they were founded on. Maybe the same works for companies?

'Sides, you guys aren't allowed to die until either you complete the Kingdom Hearts series or I grow up, graduate MIT, become a famous programer/game designer, and take over as CEO.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 10:51:00 pm »
Yeah, saw the news several days ago. My response was "wth, 12 billion?"  :o
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 10:53:59 pm by utunnels »

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 05:33:09 am »
RELEASE A FREAKING CHRONO GAME.

It doesn't even have to be on the PS3/Wii/Wii2/Xbox360... Heck, I'd be more than happy for Trigger-equivalent graphics on the 3DS or PSP.

SERIOUSLY.

I'm doubtful they will though.  :/  They'll keep churning out Final Fantasy XXXVIII or whatthefuckever.

But I'll still keep some hope alive.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 06:40:53 am »
The problem is you have to spend money to make money, and they're spending it on the wrong shit (MMOs, because if people need anything right now it's more MMO games), so they're not making any money. Of course there's the chain of disaster that Japan just went through so many of the businesses over there must be feeling the pain. Hey, maybe the business will go under and all SE IP will be free(speech not beer)! That would surely be ironic.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 06:54:50 am »
Whomever would buy their IP in bankruptcy would be even more f-you about the fan community than SE itself.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 05:54:32 pm »
I wonder how much the Chrono IP would go for? Could you imagine...a giant fan community donation drive? With a tracking thermometer on the site, Howard Dean style? "Just twenty million more to go, folks..."

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 06:07:02 pm »
If you are not currently aware of it, I would direct you to "Help Nathan Buy Firefly"

While no money was actually gathered, the group was well on the way with pledges to helping Nathan Fillion buy the IP to Firefly. We'd need a kick-ass celebrity to do the same with CT, but "Help Misato Kato Buy Chrono Trigger" could do great things.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 07:28:09 pm »
Ooooh, and maybe Yasunori Mitsuda could throw his name into the kiddie for even more firepower. What a great idea.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 07:30:04 pm »
Kitty!

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 07:47:12 pm »
Meow?

Seriously, though, the amount of money required to buy it would depend on 1. how much money Squeenix thinks they can still make off it, 2. how much they thought they could squeeze the community for, and 3. how desperate they are for income. None of those are things we can quantify from the outside, alas.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 08:32:45 pm »
 :shock:

Err, I meant "into the kiddie pool." Mitsuda could toss his name into a kiddie pool filled with little floaty-equipped Chrono fans. Granted, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense in context, but at least it's spelled correctly if I say I meant to use it that way.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 09:13:59 pm »
You're off the hook this time! =D

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 10:29:32 pm »
Update from me. Here's charting the sales info of Square Enix over the past decade.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/116/1168963p1.html

Licawolf

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 11:00:36 pm »
I don't know if someone posted this already, but apparently, not only Sony got hacked recently, it happened to SE too  http://www.rocketnews.com/2011/05/games-maker-square-enix-hacked/