Author Topic: Anime Suggestions Thread  (Read 16560 times)

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
Re: Anime Suggestions Thread
« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2018, 05:41:04 pm »
Sora yori mo Tooi Basho is A Place Further Than the Universe, under the Japanese title. I watched it as it was coming out. It was a fun series.

Yuru Camp/ Laid Back Camp was also quite enjoyable. It's definitely a silly series.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2018, 01:55:49 am »
Yuru Camp looks so cute. There should be more anime about camping!

I've been meaning to watch Children of the Whales ever since I saw the manga at a store. Looked pretty good. Of course, I still need to watch Cowboy Bebop...

Lord J, I was going to recommend to you Mushishi! (or maybe I already did?) Seems right up your alley. I'm actually a pretty big fan of the art style of most 80s anime. Can you recommend any good ones?

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2018, 02:37:54 am »
I'd say, I still don't know why I decided to just go and check on one of all the animes mentioned in the last posts... and then why Hina Festival in specific, and all I can say this...

Ah, such an emotional rollercoaster! :roll:

Don't get me wrong, overall I mostly enjoyed it (even went to check out the manga), but it was like... why keep subjecting myself to that... I don't know. If the rest of it gets adapted as well... well, I suppose sometimes I'm just too curious for my own good. Then again, having already watched some of that from the manga...

Anyway, I'm not really that versed on the newer animes to recommend one; but if looking for something on the older side... well, recently I've been watching Macross/Robotech, since it begun to be aired on Saturday mornings over here and... man, it had been years since I last saw that! Although I never really stopped from encountering it due to Super Robot Wars, but the anime itself, it had been so long since I last saw it. It was among the first I saw.

I suppose if you have an interest in sci-fi, mechas, and/or aircrafts, it could be a good recommendation. I'd recommend it, in any case. Perhaps watching it in its Japanese original, or I think there is an English redub that's more faithful to the original Macross than Harmony Gold's Robotech. Either way, I'd not recommend Harmony Gold's dub (and related) over them, but that may be just me.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2018, 02:59:14 pm »
I suppose if you have an interest in sci-fi, mechas, and/or aircrafts, it could be a good recommendation. I'd recommend it, in any case. Perhaps watching it in its Japanese original, or I think there is an English redub that's more faithful to the original Macross than Harmony Gold's Robotech. Either way, I'd not recommend Harmony Gold's dub (and related) over them, but that may be just me.

Yeah, I've been on a mecha kick recently. Just watched A.I.C.O. Incarnate (which wasn't really mecha, but it had that 1990's scifi anime feel) and have been rewatching Knights of Sidonia and Aldorah Zero. I have a few other series on my list I want to get to next, and both Robotech and the original Gundam are on there. 

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2018, 01:07:51 pm »
I've been meaning to check out Hina Festival at some point.
Watch it! It's beautiful. It's the kind of comedy that's pretty hard to come buy. Every gag has a long-term impact on the story, as opposed to it being a one-off "Lol random" moment that we're used to. I find myself coming back to it over and over again.

I haven't really watched anime in a very long time and I'd like to start again. I love Dragon Ball Z so I will probably start with that so based on the fact that is the anime I really like, any recommendations of what I can watch after Dragon Ball? Thanks!!

If you're looking Shonen action series similar to Dragon Ball (and if you've already watched Dragon Ball Super anime), I highly recommend My Hero Academia, which is a story about a kid without superpowers wanting to follow in the footsteps of Superman (and that said Superman-figure has attacks named after American cities / states). It is one of the best things to come out so far.

Another recommendation would go to Hunter x Hunter, which takes tried-and-true Shonen tropes and turns them on their heads.

If you want something shorter than Hunter x Hunter and Dragon Ball, then I'll always recommend One's stories (because despite his bad art skills, he always shits out masterpieces), such as One Punch Man and Mob Psycho 100.

whispersGoku will always be Crono.

No, Crono is Tapion's younger brother, because Trunks reminds Tapion of his younger brother, and Trunks is a sword-wielding time-traveler. Tapion also sealed Lavos along with himself. Mr Satan was the Chancellor.

Anyway, I'm not really that versed on the newer animes to recommend one; but if looking for something on the older side... well, recently I've been watching Macross/Robotech, since it begun to be aired on Saturday mornings over here and... man, it had been years since I last saw that!

Yeah, I've been on a mecha kick recently.

That's funny, because I was meaning to get back into Mecha anime recently. I even have Macross in Plan To Watch list, but just haven't gotten around to do it. But I did get into Gundam once again, starting with today:

I watched Gundam Thunderbolt: December Sky, which I believe was pretty spectacular. It was a simple concept, taking place smack-dab in the middle of the One Year War (Universal Century timeline), but the direction was absolutely beautiful. I was also surprised by how its art-style was, akin to Megalobox, a combination of the old-school art and character-design with modernized animation, colors and all that jazz (pun intended). Despite it being a new addition, it fits right at home with the old UC shows.

There's another mecha show that I have my eye on, and it's one that seems to be very under-appreciated and lesser-known by those who aren't Japanese, and that's Patlabor, which is known to have been a nurturing-ground for Mamoru Oshi, who eventually went on to head the Ghost in The Shell project. That said, Patlabor is by no means inferior to GiTS or Gundam, because the franchise is crafted masterfully and does things with the SciFi / Mecha genre (and does it so well) that few others, if ever, do.

What made me want to check out this franchise are these two videos:
1) By Glass Reflection: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TydVnMSC3Y0
2) By Oh No, Anime!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J52ecXnl_EE

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • I didn’t “pick up” anything! It’s common sense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2018, 05:04:49 pm »

I haven't really watched anime in a very long time and I'd like to start again. I love Dragon Ball Z so I will probably start with that so based on the fact that is the anime I really like, any recommendations of what I can watch after Dragon Ball? Thanks!!

If you're looking Shonen action series similar to Dragon Ball (and if you've already watched Dragon Ball Super anime), I highly recommend My Hero Academia, which is a story about a kid without superpowers wanting to follow in the footsteps of Superman (and that said Superman-figure has attacks named after American cities / states). It is one of the best things to come out so far.

Another recommendation would go to Hunter x Hunter, which takes tried-and-true Shonen tropes and turns them on their heads.

If you want something shorter than Hunter x Hunter and Dragon Ball, then I'll always recommend One's stories (because despite his bad art skills, he always shits out masterpieces), such as One Punch Man and Mob Psycho 100.

whispersGoku will always be Crono.

No, Crono is Tapion's younger brother, because Trunks reminds Tapion of his younger brother, and Trunks is a sword-wielding time-traveler. Tapion also sealed Lavos along with himself. Mr Satan was the Chancellor.

Thank you very much for the recommendations and for the inside look on the Dragon Ball/Chrono universe! I haven't watched Dragon Ball in forever so thank you for the refresher! I definitely need to watch it again soon!

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2018, 03:35:17 am »
I'm getting back into anime at last, despite having so little time, and watched not one but two series over the past several days, both of which I recommend. (Actually, I watched three series, but I won't recommend one of them.)

Violet Evergarden -- Designed to be a tear-jerker, and it delivered for me. I love anime like this and want to see more like it. The theme is really interesting: The idea of an emotionless person being better able to see the emotions and sentiments in others, because emotion itself is so misleading. Really good show with excellent character development.

The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. -- This is basically the opposite: a show with no character development and no seriousness. That's not usually my cup of tea, but I really enjoy the sense of humor on this one. Lots of laugh-out-loud moments and clever visual gags. You'll know in two or three episodes whether it's a fit for you.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2018, 10:34:39 am »
Violet Evergarden -- Designed to be a tear-jerker, and it delivered for me. I love anime like this and want to see more like it. The theme is really interesting: The idea of an emotionless person being better able to see the emotions and sentiments in others, because emotion itself is so misleading. Really good show with excellent character development.

Nice! I'm trying to wrap up Aldnoah Zero and this is one I've been eyeing. Only 4 or 5 episodes left.

The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. -- This is basically the opposite: a show with no character development and no seriousness. That's not usually my cup of tea, but I really enjoy the sense of humor on this one. Lots of laugh-out-loud moments and clever visual gags. You'll know in two or three episodes whether it's a fit for you.

This is the review I needed. Work has been insanely stressful the past few weeks, and will be for several weeks more as we hit some critical project timelines (I'm a project manager in my day job). I sometimes have to cram some more work in late at night and recently have taken to watching really funny/zany anime to keep the spirits lifted.

Since I'm multi-tasking (and not fully watching, since I'm also working), I've been needing Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime series that have English dubs. I finished Aggretsuko last night (which was surprisingly good, if only because it feels like a pretty accurate caricature of office drone life) and I was trying to decide what comes next. Last night when I considered what to watch next I was at a loss. This made it far easier for me, so thanks!

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2018, 12:30:26 am »
I hope you enjoy it! It took me a couple episodes to really commit, but the cleverness and absurdity eventually won me over. =]

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2018, 03:35:55 pm »

Hah! Glad somebody else shares my love for this show.

This is the review I needed. Work has been insanely stressful the past few weeks, and will be for several weeks more as we hit some critical project timelines (I'm a project manager in my day job). I sometimes have to cram some more work in late at night and recently have taken to watching really funny/zany anime to keep the spirits lifted.

I'd like to have a word with you.  :x

And that word is Iyashikei. Look it up!

Though, be warned, this sort of anime is best enjoyed not when multitasking but when you're winding down after a hard day of work, had your bath, open a bottle of beer or something, and just chill. These are the kinds of shows that really soothe your soul.

Man, I'd definitely put Barakamon on the list, which is one such example of an Iyashikei. Naru is my muse, just as Joseph Joestar is my God!

The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.

Man, that show is gold!

Plus the puns.

Saiki K

Saikik

Psychic

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2018, 12:06:28 pm »
So I am totally late to the party in finally watching My Hero Academia...

I've been hearing about this show for a while now. Obviously it's hugely popular right now. But last night I needed something new to watch. I've been watching Durrarara!! but I've been struggling to really get into it.

So I fired up My Hero Academia on a whim. I mean, it's simulcast on Hulu now, so why not? Aaaaaaand holy crap is this show good. It's that perfect blend of rooting for the little guy and defining heroism in the face of adversity. A little on the sugary side, but I am totally digging it.

I cranked out six episodes last night while I pulled some late night work, and I can't wait to dive back in tonight.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2018, 02:35:07 am »
So I'm finally caught up on My Hero Academia...

My god, I'm not a middle school kid, but I freaking love it like one. The show is a great spin on the super hero genre, and the motivational messaging just makes me feel. For real. I don't know the last time a television show made me feel this much. And the great thing is, what I feel is almost always motivational and positivity.

I was talking to Thought and Faustwolf about the show and how much it invigorates me. So much so, in fact, I am restarting it immediately. Normally I need a few years before I can take another pass at anything (whether book, television series, or video game). But hot damn, this show is stellar.

I hear Naruto is somewhat similar in tone. I'm generally the guy who doesn't really get into the mainstream stuff (not that there's anything wrong with it), so I've literally never seen more than 5 minutes of Naruto, but it may be time to give that a try, too.

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2018, 08:17:28 pm »
Two new things I was excited about:

Is the Order a Rabbit? OVA 2 and season 3

3rd Aerial Girls Squadron gets an anime (sorta. Not quite)

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2018, 12:32:23 am »
The second one, 3rd Aerial Girls Squadron, actually looks really good. I don't mind girl power anime, either.

You all have heard me rant and rave about how motivational I find My Hero Academia, and I've since watched it twice through (up until the most current episode). My birthday is coming up, and for my birthday I asked my wife if we could go see the movie of My Hero Academia (called Two Heroes) at the local theater during it's limited theatrical run. It's only running for a week or so, so I am pumped.

Granted, my wife doesn't care for anime and knows nothing about it... but she'll endure. PLUUUUUS ULTRA!

In other news, I've been searching for an anime that has that same sense of purpose. Of perseverance and hard work and achieving one's dreams. I feel like I could've used Shonen Jump when I was a kid, hahaha... Alas, I discovered it in my 30s (or rather, finally paid attention to it). So, based on a reddit recommendation...

...I've started watching Naruto. Holy crap, I had no idea it would be HUNDREDS of episodes between the Naruto series and Boruto. I have started watching it and I'm about 30 episodes in. I like it, but don't love it. I hear it picks up, though.

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2018, 04:24:42 am »
The actual title of the second one is Kōya no Kotobuki Hikōtai (Kotobuki - The Wasteland Squadron). 3rd Aerial Girls Squadron was a joke because it's by some people who were behind Shirobako, an anime about making anime that had a fictional anime by that title, but tushantin might be the only one who gets it.

I watch my share of girl power anime. My share being any I come across.

Enjoy the movie and your birthday!

I watched some Naruto, but never really got into it.