Author Topic: Anime Suggestions Thread  (Read 16555 times)

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
Re: Anime Suggestions Thread
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2012, 01:37:19 am »
Has any watched Persona 4: The Animation? I will probably be getting Arena soon, but I also want to be caught up on the story.

I watched the first episode and ... I admit feeling frustrated. The main character barely talks! Sure, in video games this is fine. But I'm not playing the video game, I'm watching a show. I want my characters to be already developed and not be avatars of myself.

So I'm asking those who have watch it, is this something that improves? Am I overreacting, or is this anime one I can only enjoy if I previously played the game?

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2012, 09:41:05 am »
I made it to the end of Persona 4: The Animation (well, the end as originally televised—the "real" ending is being released as a one-shot OAV sometime this summer, as I understand it), and no, the main character never really does become more vocal. And the show itself is poor, as anime adaptations of games usually are.

The standout anime series that have ended in the past year or so have been:
-Mawaru no Penguin Drum (surrealist/fantasy drama by the creator of Shoujo Kakumei Utena)
-Mirai Nikki (action/dark fantasy/supernatural horror, a bit gory)
-Chihayafuru (analog game drama in the vein of Hikaru no Go)
-Fate/Zero (darkish urban fantasy, much better than Fate/Stay Night, but don't expect any fan service)
-Mouretsu Pirates (AKA Bodacious Space Pirates, lightweight space opera)
-Tsuritama (science fiction comedy)
-the third season of Natsume Yuujinchou

Pick one of those if you're terminally bored, and don't waste your time on Persona.

envyanime

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2015, 12:27:42 am »
<a href="http://EnvyAnime.com">Watch Anime with English subbed, download OST Anime</a>

Watch Anime with English, download OST Anime  http://EnvyAnime.com
Watch Anime Online For Free, watch anime online in english,
Watch Anime Online, Stream Full Anime episodes Subbed and Dubbed, Stream Anime Movies, and Anime Series Subbed all free!

doline6bk

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2016, 11:59:07 pm »
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 10:01:53 pm by doline6bk »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2016, 11:41:54 am »
Thread revival!

I'd like to revive this with a caveat -- so my daughter is FIVE (5) now!!! I've introduced her to anime and she's fallen in love with Miyazaki films (just like her dad). Spirited Away and My Neighbor Totoro are her favorites.

I've been trying to find some kid-friendly anime series in the same vein; aren't too kiddy, aren't too grown up, etc. We watched Mamoru Hosoda's Wolf Children a few weeks ago and she enjoyed it, but not as much as a Miyazaki film (probably because it's a bit more grown up, although it did spark a new obsession with wolves).

She's watched Glitter Force and some of Sailor Moon, but we've nixed Sailor Moon for the time being because it's a little too grown up for her. She's also seen a little bit of Inuyasha and has fallen in love with Shippo, but it, too is a little much for a five year old, so I've told her she can watch it when she's a little older.

That all being said, does anyone with much more in-depth knowledge of anime have any suggestions for a five year old who loves animals and adventure/fantasy? I'm more of a mainstream anime watcher, so I'm sort of at a loss here.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2016, 11:32:58 pm »
Holy crikey, it's been five years already? Time really does fly!

How do you feel about Princess Mononoke? Strong central female character, and lotsa animals. But then again, there's freaky monsters and gunplay and I think some intimation that the antagonist's factory is staffed by former prostitutes... Dang, I never appreciated how tough these media decisions must be for parents!

The other things that spring to my mind are Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind and Howl's Moving Castle, but of course they're already Miyazaki.

Going outside anime for the moment, there's always Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal. But to this day I find the Skeksis and the eyeball-holding witch pretty disturbing, so yeah...
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 11:34:47 pm by FaustWolf »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2016, 01:18:27 am »
She's seen all of the Studio Ghibli / Miyazaki films except Porco Roso, Tales From Earthsea, and Princess Mononoke. The first two because we don't yet own them, and the latter because I do think it's just a but too grown up. Maybe in a year or two...?

EDIT: Oh, and she hasn't seen Grave of the Fireflies. For obvious reasons.

On a related note, I'm super pumped Hayao Miyazaki is coming out of retirement for at least one more film.

:)

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2016, 04:17:25 pm »
Things that might be okay for her to watch right now, and have been/will be licensed in English (so dubs are likely to be available):

These were all created for younger audiences, and so aren't likely to contain anything too inappropriate.

I can provide a much longer list of things that might be good in a year or two, if you like (also one of things that are probably age-appropriate but would require you to read subtitles to her--there are a lot of old mahou shoujo series that are lighter than Sailor Moon).

Yeah, I watch too much anime.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2016, 08:22:13 pm »
It is funny this had been my favorite when I was about 10-11 years old. Though I never saw the ending until 12 years later, because the TV only gave 20 minutes per day before adverticement time.
When I watched it again,  I felt different, maybe because I was not a kid anymore.
LOL

Edit*
I seems another 12 years have passed.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 08:26:05 pm by utunnels »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2018, 02:14:53 am »
Motherfuggin' thread revival!

I've been on an insane anime kick. I can't get enough. I am watching like, at least, 5 episodes per day while I work and multitask.

Just wrapped up Children of the Whales on Netflix. Super catchy soundtrack and a great story; it's a very fleshed out, fun fantasy world. But the story never completely captured me due to having far too many characters and suffers from "too many endings" syndrome.

I'm now watching A.I.C.O., also a Netflix exclusive, and loving the 1990's-era scifi inspiration. But hot damn is the dub a mess. Despite being a total weeb, I normally watch my anime in English. Since I'm multi-tasking, it allows me to hear what's going on when I'm only half paying attention. My Japanese lessons are paying off, but I'm not that good... Yet.

I still feel a gaping hole in my heart after having finished almost 200 episodes and 5 movies of Inuyasha.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 12:05:42 pm by Boo the Gentleman Caller »

Mauron

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2018, 03:00:59 am »
Anyone following stuff from the summer 2018 season?

I tried out Hanebad (or Hanebado), a badminton anime. I'm not sure what I think of it yet.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2018, 03:52:07 am »
Alright, here's my recommendations then. This year has been an amazing year for anime, with so many amazing things coming out, each one of them becoming "one of my favorites" all of a sudden. So here's what I really enjoyed this year:

1) Violet Evergarden -- I cried like a baby. Beautiful, not just in story but in animation too (possibly the best animated anime ever anime'd). This will have a really special place in my heart.

2) Megalobox -- This one is refreshingly good, since I really miss grittiness in sports anime, and along with its good art this one hooked me right from the first episode.

3) Hina Festival -- It's hilarious! For a comedy story, it seems to have a lot of heart. I didn't just laugh, but I also cried.

4) Captain Tsubasa -- I actually missed this ever since I saw it a decade ago with its old art-style. I'm happy it got rebooted, doing so very well, even if a bit rushed.

5) My Hero Academia 3 -- Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-

Now that the recent anime is something I got off my chest, here's a blast from the past which I absolutely adored:

1) Shirabako -- This is one of those anime that will also have a special place in my heart. And it's not just intellectual drivel about how anime is made, but this show has really sold itself on connecting its characters with you on an emotional level as they struggle to complete the roles and duties they have towards a production as it hits hurdles after hurdles. Dreams aren't easy to achieve, but sometimes you find yourself staking your life on them.

2) Barakamon -- A calligrapher trying to find his muse, but a little girl won't leave him alone. Found this gem after watching the Handa-Kun anime, which is a comedy prequel to Barakamon. Honestly, I never used to like Slice-of-Life stories that much, but Barakamon really made me fall in love with the genre.

What anime I'm looking forward to this year:

1) JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - Golden Wind -- God knows how long I've been waiting for this.

2) Steins;Gate 0 -- Just waiting for the dubs and it to finish airing, because I know I'm going to binge this one.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 03:54:37 am by tushantin »

Mauron

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2018, 04:00:19 am »
I've been meaning to check out Hina Festival at some point.

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • I didn’t “pick up” anything! It’s common sense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2018, 03:48:07 pm »
I was actually thinking about anime today. You guys are mind readers!

I haven't really watched anime in a very long time and I'd like to start again. I love Dragon Ball Z so I will probably start with that so based on the fact that is the anime I really like, any recommendations of what I can watch after Dragon Ball? Thanks!!

whispersGoku will always be Crono.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2018, 05:28:57 pm »
I'm trying really hard to get back into anime this year after hardly watching any for many years. I'm kind of an old fart like that; I'm pretty decently versed with the classic motion pictures from the '70s - '90s, and with a handful of TV series from the '90s and early '00s, but my knowledge falls off pretty hard thereafter, though I've seen some cool ones like Mushishi.

Some folks I like do an anime roundup every season, and I'm trying to get through this list:

Castlevania (on Netflix): Watched the whole season; kind of dull.

Devilman Crybaby: Watched the first episode; didn't like it. Not gonna watch any more.

Haven't Seen Yet; Can't Vouch:

Sora yori mo Tooi Basho
Gegege no Kitaro
Megalo Box
Golden Kamuy
Tada-kun wa Koi wo Shinai
Lupin the Third Part 5
Hisone to Maso-chan
A Place Further Than The Universe
Yuru Camp

Those last two, respectively, are an anime about getting to Antarctica and an anime about winter camping, which are both pretty appealing topics. Despite being at the bottom of my list I might get to them next.

On the whole, I continue to have a strong affinity for motion picture anime over TV series anime, but most of the volume is happening in the latter area.