Author Topic: Anime Suggestions Thread  (Read 16672 times)

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: Anime Suggestions Thread
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2011, 08:24:03 pm »
Oooh, every mention of Millennium Actress gets a complementary FW "Squeeee!" What an astounding achievement in film, and not just in anime! I hesitated to recommend it because it's heavily imbued with Japanese cultural thingies, but maybe that won't bother Mr Bekkler as much since it's more of an historical necessity in the film's real world context and doesn't feel out of place at all.

I can't watch Perfect Blue anymore unless it's the Spanish dub. They really got all the characters right IMO! I think it speaks to the fact that Kon's work has a certain insight that transcends culture and language completely.

Hey, Syna or anyone familiar with Paranoia Agent -- is this seriously the opening credits before each episode? The fact that I took it for a spoof on Chrono Trigger Unglued shows how behind I am on my anime.

Oh! Sheesh! How could I not recommend Monster? It's a 70+ episode extravaganza, unfortunately uneven (I guess that's why I prefer film anime to series in general). But it's got a lot of really good ones, and managed to pull me through to the end. It has an Omen-like premise, but with Nazis, and there's nothing supernatural actually happening despite how couched the story is in apocalyptic thingies. I think -- I'm actually still trying to figure out what the ending meant.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 08:33:55 pm by FaustWolf »

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2011, 09:41:44 pm »
Mmph. This represents the boiled-down overlap of two much longer lists ("good anime" and "anime not primarily set in modern Japan or a para-Japanese world"). I'm presenting these in alphabetical order, and with a warning that I suck at descriptions (and that the name spellings I'm most familiar with may not match those of the Wikipedia articles I've linked). Most of these shows have adult protagonists, so there's a notable shortage of scantily-clad schoolgirls ;P Also, they're mostly older series.

Berserk: Dark, violent and often rather gory fantasy series about a mercenary soldier who gets embroiled in seamy politics and evil magic. I first saw this fansubbed around the time Cowboy Bebop was first released in English, and it wasn't new then, so don't expect the visual quality of a modern show. Be warned that the manga was unfinished at the time it was produced (I'm not sure if they've hit the end even now), so a lot of threads are left dangling. Do not watch in the presence of children--in addition to the violence, it deals (albeit not graphically) with child abuse and other forms of nastiness.

Crest of the Stars: Distant future hard-SF series, kind of hard to describe. We follow the adventures of an ordinary teenaged boy who has, due to a quirk of interstellar politics, become a minor noble in an empire ruled by genetically manipulated not-quite-humans, as he begins a required term of military service with these culturally different people and befriends a young woman closely related to their empress. Slow-paced. Adapted from a novel. There are a couple of sequels if you like this one.

Escaflowne (the TV series, not the movie): This one does begin at a Japanese high school, but if you can get past the first episode, it moves onward and upward. Um, the short version: a Japanese teenager is transported to a world populated by beastmen, knights, dragons, giant robots, and other weirdness, and gets tangled up in a war. No summary I could fit in one paragraph could possibly do this show justice--it's fast-paced, tightly plotted, and the characters are brilliantly portrayed. The music was composed by Yoko Kanno, who also wrote the score for Wolf's Rain. A classic.

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind: One of Miyazaki's earliest films, and I would go so far as to say that it's also his best. In a future where most of the world has been covered by a poisonous jungle, one young woman fights to save the valley that is her home from destruction.

Pandora Hearts: Take Alice in Wonderland, reflect it in a distorting mirror in a haunted funhouse, fold in a conspiracy of assassins, and dump the whole thing into a fantasy setting sprinkled with a soupçon of Time Crash, and you might get something like this show. In a nation whose capital was destroyed decades ago by a mysterious disaster, young nobleman Oz Besarius is about to come of age--except that the ceremony that would have marked this occasion is interrupted, and Oz gets thrown into a supernatural prison known as the Abyss for the crime of simply existing. His only hope of escape is to form a dangerous contract with one of the peculiar beings living there, the Chains...and when he does finally get out, years have passed in the outside world over a period that seemed only days long to him. Now Oz must figure out why his existence is dangerous, and what the Chain he contracted with really is (not to mention exactly what happened to the capital)... Unfortunately, the manga is (again) still running, so the story stops in the middle. I'm still hoping for another season.

Pumpkin Scissors: A quirky show that follows a military unit made up of misfits as they attempt to clean up the mess left behind by a major war, while at the same time dealing with class conflict and the results of some secret military research. Better than I've made it sound, but it also suffers from Unfinished Manga Disease.

Spice and Wolf: When Lawrence the wandering trader visited the village of Pasloe during their harvest festival, he did not expect to find the local harvest goddess/nature spirit lying naked in his wagon the next morning! Her name is Horo the Wise Wolf, she wants to return to her nearly forgotten home in the forests of the north, and she figures that hitching a ride with Lawrence might get her there. The result is a slow-paced road trip series that combines a not-quite-romance between two adults with medieval economics and the politics of trade.

The Twelve Kingdoms: This one also begins at a Japanese high school, but doesn't stay there for long. Youko's everyday life is suddenly interrupted by an attacking monster and a mysterious stranger who hails her as his queen. Confused and disturbed, she allows said stranger to transport her to the land he claims is her kingdom, but once they arrive there, the two of them are separated almost immediately. Youko is left to fight her way to the throne of Kei on an island where children literally grow on trees... This one is worth it for the quirky world-building alone (the culture is basically ancient China with magic and some really peculiar add-ons). Adapted from a series of light novels.

Utawarerumono: Fantasy. The main character wakes up one morning with no memory and wearing a mask that he's unable to remove, but before he can find out exactly who he is, he makes the mistake of saving an ordinary villager from a local petty noble...and things snowball so wildly from there that he ends up leading a rebel army and conquering the country, which in turn complicates his search for his identity immensely.

I could probably come up with a dozen more good-but-not-great fantasy series in a similar vein. Also, I didn't include a number of favourites of mine that either are mostly set in Japan, or are just plain peculiar. Oh, and I second the recommendations of Trigun, Last Exile, and Monster.

Edit: @FW: Yes, that really is the opening of Paranoia Agent. Yes, it's bizarre. Then again, so is the show.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 11:18:17 pm by alfadorredux »

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2011, 09:49:17 pm »
Looks like Last Exile is really popular! I'm loving these suggestions guys but if you want to post suggestions to each other or about anime you consider really good in general feel free, just remember to describe it as such. My first post is more guideline than rule.

Then again, I would not have a list of anime I'm actually interested in that was this long without asking for specifics. Just don't feel restricted by my personal nitpicks, that's my main point. :-)

Speaking of the first post, I like the way alfador put it. The overlap of two categories (like a venn diagram, right in the middle). Anime you'd consider both great and unconventional.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 09:53:46 pm by Mr Bekkler »

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2011, 12:52:10 am »
Doesn't look like the summary of Gundam 00 is on episode 1 as I remembered, but it is on episode 2. Here it is for those interested.

Also, though I have never seen it, I hear Aria is a unique anime with a wonderful soundtrack.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2011, 08:16:56 am »
How can we not recommend Ghost in the Shell?!  :D  This anime's one of the legends, so I doubt there's any explanation needed. Two films and two anime seasons packed full of awesomeness. Terminator's got nothing on this chick!

Here's the catchy opening from the second season, "SAC: 2nd Gig"
[youtube]Tw6JI82Cteo[/youtube]

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2011, 04:27:43 pm »
I've seen some of Ghost in the Shell, and I remember playing a really fun video game based on it years ago.

I have to say, Last Exile is EXTREMELY captivating! AND it's on Netflix so I don't have to navigate animefreak.tv to watch it on my tv screen. Baccano is on there too. I was excited to see them so easily accessible.

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2011, 06:44:00 pm »
Oooh, every mention of Millennium Actress gets a complementary FW "Squeeee!" What an astounding achievement in film, and not just in anime! I hesitated to recommend it because it's heavily imbued with Japanese cultural thingies, but maybe that won't bother Mr Bekkler as much since it's more of an historical necessity in the film's real world context and doesn't feel out of place at all.

Yay, someone else likes Millenium Actress! And yeah, that's why I suggested it. There's plenty of Japanese culture in it, but it's more of a backdrop and less "BIG MECHS SHORT SKIRTS KAMEYAMEHA!" Again, there's a reason for it.

I didn't know that the Spanish dub of Perfect Blue was that good -- I shall check it out, especially since I'm working on my Spanish atm.

And oh my god, the Paranoia Agent opening credits!  :shock: I promise that the series is... well, okay, it is that creepy and weird, but there's a lot to it. It's not weird just for the sake of being weird. But yes, that is accurate. By the tenth or so episode the opening freaked me so much that I could barely watch it...  
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 06:45:38 pm by Syna »

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2011, 07:42:31 pm »
No matter what your tastes may be, there are certain legendary classics that every anime fan ought to watch. These anime are the pride of Japan and anime fans across the globe; they're precious jewels that can never be replaced. Not even by the likes of Gurren Lagann. Allow me to introduce you to the timeless classics:

1) Rurouni Kenshin / Samurai X: Tales of the Wanderer: The story follows a humble man named Kenshin Himura, a lone wanderer offering protection or helping hand to people in exchange for shelter and food for a few days, but bumps into a woman named Kaoru, who is threatened by a murderer claiming to be the famed Battosai the Slasher. Throughout the journey the wanderer makes friends and his past is revealed, one enemy after another, little bit at a time. And we wonder... is this wanderer still the ruthless beast he once was? Or is he trying to redeem himself? He lives like saint, but dies like a legend!

The art is beautiful. The music is magnificent. The fight scenes are breathtaking. The characters are memorable. The story is heart wrenchingly, tear-jerkingly, epic funny-ly awesome! What more could a fan want? It is historical. It is poetic. It makes you laugh at times and cry at another. It gives you the spirit to face reality and want to make a change. It gives you the courage to face your destiny, and it changes the way people think. It is a story of loyalty, friendship, betrayal, hope, redemption, love and murder. This series has been, and always will be, a masterpiece! Like other classics, Samurai X is one anime that should never be ignored by any anime fan for whatever reason.

So tell me: have you faced yourself today? If not, FEEL THE WEIGHT OF KENSHIN'S BLADE!

2) Fushigi Yûgi: The Mysterious Play: The story follows two high-school girls at a library, rummaging through books and finding one labelled "The Universe of Four Gods". Upon opening opening the book, they are pulled into an altogether different dimension resembling ancient China. Miaka is then mistaken for a priestess of Suzaku, destined to find the Seven Celestial Warriors and summon their God Suzaku, who shall grant three wishes. Upon her quest she encounters worlds of fantasy and magic that put Harry Potter's world to shame, somehow falls in love with one of her own warriors. This describes various trials Miaka must face, both quest driven and personal, and the final answer to it all is just isn't simple.

It's a Shoujo anime, meaning it's meant for chicks, but that doesn't mean guys can't enjoy it (agreed, it's often too lovey-dovey for my style, but I personally loved the sexy bits). Curiously speaking, this is the anime that pushed the Chibi phenomenon to mainstream, so you ca expect a lot of that. But the fight scenes mean business; each warrior has a special ability, unique to their personality, making the fight scenes and plot expansions that much more interesting. Conspiracy, war, espionage, you've got it all! The characters are memorable here too, and you'll find yourself falling in love with the storyline overall, no matter who your favourite character is.

All in all, worth watching!

gatotsu911

• Guardian (+100)
  • Where Angels Lose Their Way...
    • View Profile
    • TAFKA (my blog)
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2011, 09:29:07 pm »
Hey guys, guess what my favorite anime is!! Any guesses?

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2011, 08:42:18 am »
Dragonball GT?

gatotsu911

• Guardian (+100)
  • Where Angels Lose Their Way...
    • View Profile
    • TAFKA (my blog)
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2011, 03:27:00 pm »

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2011, 03:49:44 pm »
Dagonburr?

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2011, 04:18:28 pm »
Ah, something tells me.... Neon Genesis Evangelion or Ninja Scrolls.

But even those can't beat out Rurouni Kenshin! 8)

CuyahogaRiver

• Porrean (+50)
  • A pyro manic River Spirit! Setting water on fire!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2011, 08:53:17 pm »
Inuyasha!

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2011, 11:45:20 am »
Fruits Basket!

... I actually kind of really love Fruits Basket.