Author Topic: A.D. & B.C.  (Read 21956 times)

Lordchander

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • I might come back one of these days...
    • View Profile
A.D. & B.C.
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2005, 04:28:07 am »
Quote from: Chrono'99
Horii (Dragon Quest) and Toriyama (Dragon Ball) are one of the guys who created Chrono Trigger. I don't know what calendar they use in Dragon Quest, but the atmosphere is clearly inspired of Western Middle Age and Christianity and stuff (churches, crosses, priests, etc.).

The Dragon Ball series does use the A.D./B.C. calendar anyway. So maybe it comes from that (the money in CT was called Zeni in the Japanese version, Zeni being the money used in DB).

Correct me if im wrong Chrono, but I was pretty sure that is was just Zen in DB.

But I am known to make mistakes... :wink:

~LC

Talah Rama

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
A.D. & B.C.
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2005, 05:06:29 am »
Zeni/Zenny/Any other spelling of it is used in quite a few games.  Megaman Battle Network comes to mind.  I'd assume that either A.D./B.C. would stand for something different, or, maybe, there was a religion, just not quite as large as religion is here.

Legend of the Past

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
A.D. & B.C.
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2005, 05:08:18 am »
Quote from: Sir Frog
I don't think the writers we lazy so much as they wanted the gamer to associate 600 A.D. in Crono's world with 600 A.D. in ours.  By labelling the years "B.C." or "A.D." the gamers are consciously contrasting the two universes.  As an exmple, add 1500, say, to each of Chrono Trigger's years.  Wouldn't it seem silly to have the "middle ages" in the year 2100?  And doesn't having an apocalypse in 1999 beat having one in 3499?

I should think they got Lavos to awaken in 1999 beacuse it was said that the world would end in 1999. Another link to the real world, if you will. Crono exists in 1000 AD for two reasons:

A. Crono had to exist in the time before the Day of Lavos.
B. The Millenial Fair had to take place, so Marle and Crono can meet.

Lordchander

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • I might come back one of these days...
    • View Profile
A.D. & B.C.
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2005, 05:10:18 am »
Quote from: Hadriel
As far as the writers being lazy, I highly doubt this, considering they put forth the time and effort to work out the main storyline.

Im not saying they're real lazy, they just kept the BC and AD thing instead of creating new ones because they relate to time and time travel.
Though I still think they should have thought of something...

~LC

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
A.D. & B.C.
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2005, 10:14:45 pm »
Legend got an account here! w00t!

I think it's better for the storyline if they leave it as B.C. and A.D. -- it adds to the emotional impact.  If some other random planet gets destroyed, we're not liable to care that much (think Krypton), but they're talking about us.  Us and our entire way of life potentially getting destroyed by what turns out to be the very thing that's responsible for it.  I am your father, indeed.

DarkGizmo

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
A.D. & B.C.
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2005, 10:17:40 pm »
Legend got an account here! w00t!

I think it's better for the storyline if they leave it as B.C. and A.D. -- it adds to the emotional impact.  If some other random planet gets destroyed, we're not liable to care that much (think Krypton), but they're talking about us.  Us and our entire way of life potentially getting destroyed by what turns out to be the very thing that's responsible for it.  I am your father, indeed.

Lol the game got out in 1995 and Lavos hit in 1999 this leave us not much time to dig up some nuclear-proof basement

Hadriel

• View Profile
A.D. & B.C.
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2005, 10:56:51 pm »
Exactly.  I can only imagine what would have happened if they'd released it a couple of years later, in the middle of the Y2K hysteria.

Salvadeiro

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
A.D. & B.C.
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2005, 12:34:41 am »
What would have happened had we never had AD or BC as year markers?  I think the world would be in total chaos when it comes to time, but then again, people are rather smart and could have come up with something.  What year would it be if we didnt have BC or AD.

Ryuusai

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
A.D. & B.C.
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2005, 12:38:17 am »
Ummm... a really big number?

Hadriel

• View Profile
A.D. & B.C.
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2005, 01:16:13 am »
Well, the Christian calendar was worked out a few hundred years after Christ's death by Emperor Constantine, the guy who made Christianity the Roman national religion.  Before that, the Jews and Egyptians had calendars of their own, as well as probably the Chinese.

Ryuusai

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
A.D. & B.C.
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2005, 01:18:41 am »
I don't think the Chinese follow the christian calendar.  At least not traditionally anyway.

DarkGizmo

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
A.D. & B.C.
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2005, 01:42:18 am »
Well, the Christian calendar was worked out a few hundred years after Christ's death by Emperor Constantine, the guy who made Christianity the Roman national religion.  Before that, the Jews and Egyptians had calendars of their own, as well as probably the Chinese.

hum I think you kmissed that part

it's wierd they made Guardia on 0 AD and we cna see there is a huge link but they didn't come up with that and use our, maybe translation?

Ryuusai

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
A.D. & B.C.
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2005, 01:47:06 am »
I ment currently.

Most empires do have a calender after all.

Salvadeiro

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
A.D. & B.C.
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2005, 01:52:28 am »
I remember learning that some Asian Nations don't use the Gregorian Calendar, but do in certain things, which kinda confused me and kinda didn't but yeah.

What really gets me is, did the greeks really label they're things as 574 B.C or whatever, did they use years? That confuses me so much, and causes me to explode.  Also, closer to time of A.D. did we (Europe) use A.D. immediatley after Anno Domini's establishment.  I'm really in the state of Double You-Tee-Eff right now.

DarkGizmo

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
A.D. & B.C.
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2005, 01:56:29 am »
Quote from: Salvadeiro

What really gets me is, did the greeks really label they're things as 574 B.C or whatever, did they use years?

are you saying that the greek would have labeled something 574 years before christ, 574 years before christ, if so they could have supoer-psychic power, but I don,t think so but I think they had a calender and I think they labelled their things with theire calendar